Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Bradley is a dire manager from what I've been told by a few Americans on the Football Manager forum who follow the game a lot and one of them a sports journalist, mainly centered around football. I just don't want him here.

If I was to given any name which I haven't done so far in this thread, I'd say Garth Crooks.

i do to i think that he has had talks with villa and they were promising because he obviously is gunna gunna be a yes man so he has now openly declared he would like to manage villa any other time he has expressed intrest its never been in villa his intrest was europe.

The Roy Keane blog post on Aston Villa views is the most cringeworthy and ill informed thing I have read in a while. The guy is simply not capable of managing our club.

Yeah I saw that - total crap.

Also said in the comments on another blog there by some "ITK" that Hitzfeld had agreed to become Villa manager but somehow the announcement would not be made until next week. He said he was at the Rapid game last week but yet no one saw him. :lol:

Bob Bradley is a dire manager from what I've been told by a few Americans on the Football Manager forum who follow the game a lot and one of them a sports journalist, mainly centered around football. I just don't want him here.

If I was to given any name which I haven't done so far in this thread, I'd say Garth Crooks.

He's not dire, he's just not good enough for USA or Aston Villa. Most USA fans want to see a change. He is a good motivator but not much of a tactician. He stubbornly stuck to his 4-4-2 while it was obvious that the best formation for the USA squad was 4-5-1. It was the same formula every game, open with 4-4-2, play poorly and give up early goals, bring in an extra midfielder in the 2nd half and start to play well. That's why we ultimately lost against Ghana. You can't keep giving the opponent an early advantage, that was his downfall.

He's not dire, he's just not good enough for USA or Aston Villa. Most USA fans want to see a change. He is a good motivator but not much of a tactician. He stubbornly stuck to his 4-4-2 while it was obvious that the best formation for the USA squad was 4-5-1. It was the same formula every game, open with 4-4-2, play poorly and give up early goals, bring in an extra midfielder in the 2nd half and start to play well. That's why we ultimately lost against Ghana. You can't keep giving the opponent an early advantage, that was his downfall.

Nonsense IMO. The formation had nothing to do with the early goals. The reason for the early goals is that the team had absolutely NO one strong enough to play central defense. Jay DeMerit and Onyewu were the best available, but they were too slow. DeMerit plays right side in lower level english teams and Onyewu loses focus and wanders off physically and mentally. He washed out in english leagues, and was just coming back from an injury. Cherundulo and Bocanegra could only cover if there was time.

The 4-4-2 was to free up Donovan and Dempsey both to attack from behind the forwards and from multiple angles. The defense could not hope for clean sheets, so he needed to create the best attacking formation possible. Donovan and Dempsey have both played up front at times, but both are much more effective as the wings in a 4 man mid-field. They can move inside and outside more easily. Bradley's strength IMO is thinking the match through and making the best adjustments possible. His weakness is picking the roster to begin with.

I think it it's as bad as the information we are getting and neither Jol or Moyes (and I still can't rule him out, as he will become frustrated if Everton have another slow start) will come, then Erickson is the next best bet, he has the scouting network and tactically sound.

I really don't know why so many people are against us having Sven. I actually think he could do a good job for us.

I'm just hoping we get someone in before the transfer window closes, so that he can get a player or two in. However, I doubt this will happen, meaning that we will have to wait until January to sign any players.

I really don't know why so many people are against us having Sven. I actually think he could do a good job for us.

I'm just hoping we get someone in before the transfer window closes, so that he can get a player or two in. However, I doubt this will happen, meaning that we will have to wait until January to sign any players.

http://alturl.com/djw39

This article would suggest that no manager is going to come in before the transfer window.

KEVIN MacDonald is still the leading candidate to fill Villa’s managerial vacancy on a permanent basis – despite Sunday’s 6-0 shocker at St James’ Park.

MacDonald will be in charge of Thursday’s Europa League qualifier second leg against Rapid Vienna and Sunday’s Premier League clash with Everton.

And the claret and blue hierarchy will not begin to formally speak to his rival contenders until next week when the forthcoming home games are out of the way.

Bookies’ favourites Bob Bradley, Jurgen Klinsmann and Ronald Koeman have all but been ruled out of the running to succeed Martin O’Neill in the Villa Park hotseat.

Far from being put off by MacDonald’s credentials after Sunday’s embarrassing defeat to Newcastle, Villa’s power-brokers were impressed with the caretaker’s response.

The temporarily-promoted reserve team boss bravely took the rap for the heavy losing margin and admitted he might have been a bit ‘naive’ with his team selection.

But MacDonald spoke to chairman Randy Lerner at Bodymoor Heath yesterday and he and chief executive Paul Faulkner hope Sunday’s scoreline was a freak result.

Villa’s board are ready to resist any clamours for a ‘razzmatazz’ big name and prefer to continue with a safer option, like MacDonald who knows the English game.

It is thought they wish to employ a manager who can continue their steady progress rather than risk undoing four years’ good work with a knee-jerk populist ‘A-List’ appointment.

There have been plenty of preliminary discussions with agents acting on behalf of applicants, but the next stage of the recruitment process will start in earnest next week.

Villa are still reeling from the shock timing of O’Neill’s resignation five days before the start of the season and have made trying to negotiate the busy fixture list their priority.

But after the Everton game at Villa Park on Sunday there is a fortnight’s gap before the next match at Stoke on Monday, September 13, because of the international break.

The claret and blue top brass hope to use that time to appoint O’Neill’s permanent replacement so that they can start to plan for the season ahead with a degree of certainty.

With transfer deadline day now only a week away, Lerner and Faulkner will meet with MacDonald today to discuss the prospect of any arrivals or departures.

There is unlikely to be much business through the Villa Park entrance or exit doors with the managerial situation up in the air, but deals have not been completely ruled out.

One player unlikely to be leaving Villa any time soon is Luke Young with reports that West Ham have bid for the right-back believed to be wide of the mark.

Meanwhile, Ashley Young is backing Villa to bounce back from their “uncharacteristic” collapse at Newcastle when they host Vienna on Thursday.

“To go down to such a heavy defeat in the way that we did, in the manner that we did, is unlike us,” said Young.

“Everyone was unhappy in the dressing room and everyone was upset. We’ve got to put this behind us.

“We’ve got an important game on Thursday and that is what we have got to look forward to now.

“You never want to go through this ever in your career. It was extremely disappointing and uncharacteristic.”

Sean O'Driscoll?

came to mind for me yesterday as well. Done an excellent job at Doncaster with hardly any money and they play some of the best football outside of the top 8 of the Premiership.

and im a friend of O'Driscoll's assistant manager, so ill be a real ITK if they come !!

Kevin MacDonald remains frontrunner to be Aston Villa's next manager

• MacDonald will be given two more games to seal full-time job

• Villa inclined to treat 6-0 Newcastle defeat as a freak result

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 24 August 2010 23.00 BST

Kevin MacDonald has not yet confirmed whether he would be interested in taking the Aston Villa job full-time. Photograph: John Walton/Empics Sport

Kevin MacDonald remains the frontrunner to become the new Aston Villa manager, despite Sunday's humiliating defeat at Newcastle United, and will be given the two matches this week, against Rapid Vienna and Everton, to prove that he is capable of doing the job on a permanent basis.

Although Villa were thrashed 6-0 at St James' Park, Randy Lerner, the chairman, and Paul Faulkner, the chief executive, have treated the scoreline as a freak result. MacDonald impressed in his previous two games as caretaker manager, against West Ham United and Rapid Vienna, and Lerner and Faulkner believe it would be unfair to disregard those two performances and judge the 50-year-old purely on the basis of a woeful afternoon at Newcastle.

MacDonald will have the chance to turn things around against Rapid Vienna in the second leg of the Europa League play-off tie at Villa Park , and against Everton in the Premier League on Sunday, in what effectively amounts to a two-game trial. Two positive results and MacDonald, who stepped up from his duties as reserve-team manager when Martin O'Neill resigned five days before the start of the season, will almost certainly be offered the position.

Although Lerner and Faulkner have faith in MacDonald and admire his work behind the scenes at Villa over the last 15 years – he has played a key role in developing the youngsters who have broken into the first-team during that period and is regarded as an excellent coach – their willingness to give him the chance to prove himself as a manager is also a measure of the club's lack of options because of the absence of any outstanding candidates elsewhere.

There has been no shortage of interest in the Villa post but the two managers who would have been strongly considered, Mark Hughes and Martin Jol, are already in work, at Fulham and Ajax respectively, and regarded as out of reach. One school of thought is that Villa might try to lure Jol if Ajax lose their Champions League play-off tie against Dynamo Kiev – they drew 1-1 in Ukraine in the first leg – but there is no indication that such a plan is in place at the moment.

MacDonald has yet to confirm whether he would be interested in succeeding O'Neill – he has hitherto expressed concerns about how the job would impact on his family life – although Villa are reasonably confident he would not turn the opportunity down. Lerner and Faulkner will, however, have a problem on their hands if results go against MacDonald, especially as the plan is to have a permanent manager in place by the end of next week, when there is an international break.

Clicky

My only concern with KM is the whole hesitency business and the fact he doesn't know what to do when things go wrong.

I think this is what they want to try and get an idea on, if the article is indeed correct

Lost 6-0, admits he got things wrong, lets see how he reacts....

How the team players in these two games, has he learnt from that mistake are the players playing for him or themselves again etc etc

Best managerial appointments of last 20 years:

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Arsene Wenger - from Monaco (via Japan)

David Moyes - from Preston

Jose Mourinho - from Porto

The best and most stable appointments have been surprises for the fans and relative unknowns. The most recent example (ignoring Mourinho) was Moyes who was plucked from Preston after a couple of decent seasons. We do not need a Svennis or someone similar. We need to do an Everton and find a Moyes. The championship is a breeding ground for good managers. We are not going to finish below 10th, we can afford to get a younger bristish manager who plays football in the right way and will build a legacy at our club.

I think my objections to Sven are as follows:-

He really is a big budget man and that doesn't appear to be the place we're at right now

He's not exactly renowned for longevity at any club

He comes across as a whore, in that I mean, I don't think he "cares" enough and is just in it for the kudos / money as he thinks he has nothing to prove and we need someone who wants to prove himself - just my opinion

His true colours were shown in that news of the screws expose, of him talking to the fake shieks or whoever it was saying he could bring Beckham and a host of other stars to Villa

• He really is a big budget man and that doesn't appear to be the place we're at right now

He comes across as a whore, in that I mean, I don't think he "cares" enough and is just in it for the kudos / money as he thinks he has nothing to prove and we need someone who wants to prove himself - just my opinion

His true colours were shown in that news of the screws expose, of him talking to the fake shieks or whoever it was saying he could bring Beckham and a host of other stars to Villa

This.

• He really is a big budget man and that doesn't appear to be the place we're at right now

My reasons too!