Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Don't want Sven, would prefer Billy Davies, but most people seem to be against that one.

I think the names being touted about at this time go some way to show how much we hit the jackpot when Oneill arrived, regardless of what people may think of his subsequent tenure.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best managerial appointments of last 20 years:

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Arsene Wenger - from Monaco (via Japan)

David Moyes - from Preston

Jose Mourinho - from Porto

The best and most stable appointments have been surprises for the fans and relative unknowns. The most recent example (ignoring Mourinho) was Moyes who was plucked from Preston after a couple of decent seasons. We do not need a Svennis or someone similar. We need to do an Everton and find a Moyes. The championship is a breeding ground for good managers. We are not going to finish below 10th, we can afford to get a younger bristish manager who plays football in the right way and will build a legacy at our club.

Step up Mr Paul Lambert.

Don't want Sven, would prefer Billy Davies, but most people seem to be against that one.

I think the names being touted about at this time go some way to show how much we hit the jackpot when Oneill arrived, regardless of what people may think of his subsequent tenure.

His teams play pretty decent football, he can spot a player. The only issue I have is with his ego, but he would be a decent shout also.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

The best and most stable appointments have been surprises for the fans and relative unknowns. The most recent example (ignoring Mourinho) was Moyes who was plucked from Preston after a couple of decent seasons. We do not need a Svennis or someone similar. We need to do an Everton and find a Moyes. The championship is a breeding ground for good managers. We are not going to finish below 10th, we can afford to get a younger bristish manager who plays football in the right way and will build a legacy at our club.

Step up Mr Paul Lambert.

I think this could be an option, it's finding the right man for the job who has been successful at championship level and been consistent (whether that be regular playoff positions playing good football.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them 3. And Mourinho's appointment would refer to going to Porto from wherever (I think Barca No2). What about Hodgson at Fulham. 6points adrift at the bottom with about 5 games left to Europa league final in 2 years!!!

Moyes has done a good job at Everton but his flirts with the champions league are equalled by flirts with relegation. And if he was our manager and we had 1 point from 2 games against Blackburn and Wolves like Everton have, then wed all be calling for his head.

Moyes hasnt won anything - so if you want a solid club that goes up and down like a yo-yo and doesn't actually win anything in 8 years then go and find a Moyes. The guy is not that good!!!

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them 3. And Mourinho's appointment would refer to going to Porto from wherever (I think Barca No2). What about Hodgson at Fulham. 6points adrift at the bottom with about 5 games left to Europa league final in 2 years!!!

Moyes has done a good job at Everton but his flirts with the champions league are equalled by flirts with relegation. And if he was our manager and we had 1 point from 2 games against Blackburn and Wolves like Everton have, then wed all be calling for his head.

Moyes hasnt won anything - so if you want a solid club that goes up and down like a yo-yo and doesn't actually win anything in 8 years then go and find a Moyes. The guy is not that good!!!

Unbelievable Jeff!!

Very little money to spend but has done the equivalent of what MoN is lauded for at our club. Incredible manager, he has consistently performed with Everton, with a couple of blips, and has often been beset by injuries. When you go into a new season, there are a few teams that can win things, Everton are realistically not one of them.

I'm very keen on one of these lower league managers to come and prove their worth.

Much prefer it to someone like Sven, Curbs etc.

Im all up for it. We just dont need to pretend Moyes is some form of genius appointment that ranks alongside Alex Ferguson

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them...

I believe Everton have only once "flirted" with relegation in Moyes second season, every other season they have been top ten and usually top 6.

Moyes has also done what he has with little in the way of real funds, its all been sell high buy low wheeler dealing.

Which is just about the situation we're in right now. Moyes is the perfect candidate for us I just very much doubt he's either obtainable or even interested (I think he has eyes higher up the food chain in a couple of years)

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

So thats Fergie who'd won a European trophy with Aberdeen, Wenger who Munich had wanted and the English press didn't know basically while building a great repuation for himself and Jose who'd won literally everything with Porto. Hardly a list of names plucked from the local park.

Not sure if its do-able or not, but surely this thread is absolutely crying out for a poll?

FWIW, I dont know enough about O'Driscoll, but certainly wouldnt be against Davies coming in, failing that, Grayson is an option.

I'm very keen on one of these lower league managers to come and prove their worth.

Im all up for it. We just dont need to pretend Moyes is some form of genius appointment that ranks alongside Alex Ferguson

Everton were heading out of the league when he was appointed. A squad of old, over-paid players and he has turned it around. He is SAF's preferred appointment for Utd when he leaves. How can you question his quality?

Everton were heading out of the league when he was appointed. A squad of old, over-paid players and he has turned it around. He is SAF's preferred appointment for Utd when he leaves. How can you question his quality?

Everton have pretty much been on a par with us in terms of success over the term of Moyes' tenure. The difference being that they achieved this with a fraction of the money that we spent, playing more attractive football.

I dont think that at all, i think it was just an example of what lower managers can do and should not be sneered at.

Lower league managers have to work harder with what they have got, spot gems etc etc.

We're kind of that stage where a few bargains here or there would do us the world of good, work with what you've got etc.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

So thats Fergie who'd won a European trophy with Aberdeen, Wenger who Munich had wanted and the English press didn't know basically while building a great repuation for himself and Jose who'd won literally everything with Porto. Hardly a list of names plucked from the local park.

My point was they were not wanted by fans + they were relative unknowns (thats to us in the UK). Im not suggesting we go to some local park and pick up mike bassett, but that we think beyond Sven, Curbs etc.

Can we compile a shortlist to be put forward to the General?

They already have a short list of people who have applied for the managers job.

I think with all the coaches and whatnot leaving after MON, the position will go to the best man with the best team to work with him.

You often see when people lose the managers jobs or walk out of jobs, the next manager brings his own team of coaches with him.....I think that will be the case here.

It's ok just posting random names, we just don't know the details about them that Lerner is looking for and also we don't know what Lerner is looking for to even try and match them up.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Unbelievable Jeff!!

Very little money to spend but has done the equivalent of what MoN is lauded for at our club. Incredible manager, he has consistently performed with Everton, with a couple of blips, and has often been beset by injuries. When you go into a new season, there are a few teams that can win things, Everton are realistically not one of them.

What??

Incredible??

Very little input from the chairman to spend money i agree but that doesnt mean he didnt spend the 30million thrown at him from Rooney, 24million from lescott.

Just because there nett spend is lower, doesnt mean that he doesnt spend money. Wisely - Yes. But eight years now in charge and the club is essentially going backwards. Something you could never accuse O'Neill of doing.

Not saying he hasnt done a good job, but to rank him in with Alex Ferguson is just beyond belief and laughable.

I dont think that at all, i think it was just an example of what lower managers can do and should not be sneered at.

Lower league managers have to work harder with what they have got, spot gems etc etc.

We're kind of that stage where a few bargains here or there would do us the world of good, work with what you've got etc.

This.