Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them...

Moyes has done a good job at Everton but his flirts with the champions league are equalled by flirts with relegation. And if he was our manager and we had 1 point from 2 games against Blackburn and Wolves like Everton have, then wed all be calling for his head.

Moyes hasnt won anything - so if you want a solid club that goes up and down like a yo-yo and doesn't actually win anything in 8 years then go and find a Moyes. The guy is not that good!!!

I believe Everton have only once "flirted" with relegation in Moyes second season, every other season they have been top ten and usually top 6.

Moyes has also done what he has with little in the way of real funds, its all been sell high buy low wheeler dealing.

Which is just about the situation we're in right now. Moyes is the perfect candidate for us I just very much doubt he's either obtainable or even interested (I think he has eyes higher up the food chain in a couple of years)

Moyes has a bit too good a rep in the transfer market really, he doesn't buy low sell high at all. Hes made serious money off Lescott and thats about it?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them...

Moyes has done a good job at Everton but his flirts with the champions league are equalled by flirts with relegation. And if he was our manager and we had 1 point from 2 games against Blackburn and Wolves like Everton have, then wed all be calling for his head.

Moyes hasnt won anything - so if you want a solid club that goes up and down like a yo-yo and doesn't actually win anything in 8 years then go and find a Moyes. The guy is not that good!!!

I believe Everton have only once "flirted" with relegation in Moyes second season, every other season they have been top ten and usually top 6.

Moyes has also done what he has with little in the way of real funds, its all been sell high buy low wheeler dealing.

Which is just about the situation we're in right now. Moyes is the perfect candidate for us I just very much doubt he's either obtainable or even interested (I think he has eyes higher up the food chain in a couple of years)

Think theyve been down there twice IIRC

Best managerial appointments of last 20 years:

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Arsene Wenger - from Monaco (via Japan)

David Moyes - from Preston

Jose Mourinho - from Porto

The best and most stable appointments have been surprises for the fans and relative unknowns. The most recent example (ignoring Mourinho) was Moyes who was plucked from Preston after a couple of decent seasons. We do not need a Svennis or someone similar. We need to do an Everton and find a Moyes. The championship is a breeding ground for good managers. We are not going to finish below 10th, we can afford to get a younger bristish manager who plays football in the right way and will build a legacy at our club.

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them 3. And Mourinho's appointment would refer to going to Porto from wherever (I think Barca No2). What about Hodgson at Fulham. 6points adrift at the bottom with about 5 games left to Europa league final in 2 years!!!

Unbelievable Jeff!!

Very little money to spend but has done the equivalent of what MoN is lauded for at our club. Incredible manager, he has consistently performed with Everton, with a couple of blips, and has often been beset by injuries. When you go into a new season, there are a few teams that can win things, Everton are realistically not one of them.

What??

Incredible??

Very little input from the chairman to spend money i agree but that doesnt mean he didnt spend the 30million thrown at him from Rooney, 24million from lescott.

Just because there nett spend is lower, doesnt mean that he doesnt spend money. Wisely - Yes. But eight years now in charge and the club is essentially going backwards. Something you could never accuse O'Neill of doing.

Not saying he hasnt done a good job, but to rank him in with Alex Ferguson is just beyond belief and laughable.

He isnt ranked alongside fergie, I wouldnt rank Wenger alongside fergie. He is just another manager that few wanted, few really knew about but has done a very good job. I have never ranked him alongside fergie in terms of success.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

The best and most stable appointments have been surprises for the fans and relative unknowns. The most recent example (ignoring Mourinho) was Moyes who was plucked from Preston after a couple of decent seasons. We do not need a Svennis or someone similar. We need to do an Everton and find a Moyes. The championship is a breeding ground for good managers. We are not going to finish below 10th, we can afford to get a younger bristish manager who plays football in the right way and will build a legacy at our club.

Oh my god - how can you put Moyes with them 3. And Mourinho's appointment would refer to going to Porto from wherever (I think Barca No2). What about Hodgson at Fulham. 6points adrift at the bottom with about 5 games left to Europa league final in 2 years!!!

Unbelievable Jeff!!

Very little money to spend but has done the equivalent of what MoN is lauded for at our club. Incredible manager, he has consistently performed with Everton, with a couple of blips, and has often been beset by injuries. When you go into a new season, there are a few teams that can win things, Everton are realistically not one of them.

What??

Incredible??

Very little input from the chairman to spend money i agree but that doesnt mean he didnt spend the 30million thrown at him from Rooney, 24million from lescott.

Just because there nett spend is lower, doesnt mean that he doesnt spend money. Wisely - Yes. But eight years now in charge and the club is essentially going backwards. Something you could never accuse O'Neill of doing.

Not saying he hasnt done a good job, but to rank him in with Alex Ferguson is just beyond belief and laughable.

He isnt ranked alongside fergie, I wouldnt rank Wenger alongside fergie. He is just another manager that few wanted, few really knew about but has done a very good job. I have never ranked him alongside fergie in terms of success.

In Fairness I wouldnt rank anyone alongside Fergie. Not even Mourinho, though that may change in the coming years.

I'm very keen on one of these lower league managers to come and prove their worth.

Much prefer it to someone like Sven, Curbs etc.

Im all up for it. We just dont need to pretend Moyes is some form of genius appointment that ranks alongside Alex Ferguson

Everton were heading out of the league when he was appointed. A squad of old, over-paid players and he has turned it around. He is SAF's preferred appointment for Utd when he leaves. How can you question his quality?

Sounds pretty much what O'Neill has done with us. Albeit it with less nett spend/(not less money send) but in half the time as well.

As Ive mentioned - Hodgsons job at Fulham is more impressive

O'driscolls at Doncaster is one of a miracle worker - one ive watched very closely

Moyes is just in with a host of managers that have done a good - very good job. He is by no means a miracle worker.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Unbelievable Jeff!!

What??

Incredible??

You have just put him the top 4 best managerial appointments of the last 20 years. that tells me you think of him more than someone who has done a very good job. The people you have put with him (baring you mind you put him ahead of Mourinho in your list) are masters of the game that (whilst they have had better facilities), there achievements are so superior to them of David Moyes that its impossible to describe how better they are.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Unbelievable Jeff!!

What??

Incredible??

You have just put him the top 4 best managerial appointments of the last 20 years. that tells me you think of him more than someone who has done a very good job. The people you have put with him (baring you mind you put him ahead of Mourinho in your list) are masters of the game that (whilst they have had better facilities), there achievements are so superior to them of David Moyes that its impossible to describe how better they are.

They were 4 of the best, and not in order. Just trying to highlight a point that we should look beyond europes top leagues. Maybe my point has been missed but have clarified it a number of times and ill say it again just to make it clear. They are not ranked, this is 4 of the best IMO, and I'm not saying moyes has done a better job than any of the others listed, or hodgson, who was also not wanted by fulham fans.

would prefer Billy Davies.

but certainly wouldnt be against Davies coming in

If we were in medieval times you would be burnt at the stake for this kind of crazy talk!!

I genuinely dont know how you could even consider this guy. It baffles me. You do know we are in the premiership yeah?

All davies has ever done is prove time and time again that he is a championship manager at best.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Unbelievable Jeff!!

What??

Incredible??

They were 4 of the best, and not in order. Just trying to highlight a point that we should look beyond europes top leagues. Maybe my point has been missed but have clarified it a number of times and ill say it again just to make it clear. They are not ranked, this is 4 of the best IMO, and I'm not saying moyes has done a better job than any of the others listed, or hodgson, who was also not wanted by fulham fans.

Ok, Got your point and agree. I just think hes incredibly overated - especially on here. Going with your point though - Bob Bradley would be the perfect appointment. As noone wants him.

I definately don't want another version of Moyes though. I actually want the club to win something :winkold:

If we were in medieval times you would be burnt at the stake for this kind of crazy talk!!

I genuinely dont know how you could even consider this guy. It baffles me. You do know we are in the premiership yeah?

All davies has ever done is prove time and time again that he is a championship manager at best.

because that is where he currently resides or is it because he took preston within a whisker of the prem, then took derby up or because he has turned around forest into a very good championship team with possibly signing of last season Majewski even though he is hampered by a transfer aquisitions panel?

But you are right, he is currently a championship manager.

Anyone who calls football "soccer" shouldn't work managing a team in this country.

'Soccer' is just as legitimate a term for association football as 'football' is. It originates from an abbreviation of association, 'assoc', which mutated into 'socca' and later to 'soccer'. All of this happened many, many moons ago. The idea that the word 'soccer' is some abhorrent American bastardisation is a phallacy.

Many English speaking countries, such as Australia, Ireland and the USA, have more than one type of 'football'. (Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Gridiron.) The word 'football' in these countries has always been used to describe the native sport. Therefore, the use of the word 'soccer' is necessary in order to differentiate between the different codes.

Just because the use of a certain word is the norm in England doesn't mean that that it should be the norm for all English speaking countries.

(P.S. I really don't want Bob Bradley to be our next manager, but for reasons more meaningful than his vocabulary.)

Used to be the norm in the 70s in the UK.

Sir Alex - from Aberdeen

Unbelievable Jeff!!

What??

Incredible??

Ok, Got your point and agree. I just think hes incredibly overated - especially on here. Going with your point though - Bob Bradley would be the perfect appointment. As noone wants him.

I definately don't want another version of Moyes though. I actually want the club to win something :winkold:

Not really as Bradley has achieved nothing with club teams, whereas the other 5 had experience of club teams.

Moyes + £85m net spend = top 4 IMO

because that is where he currently resides or is it because he took preston within a whisker of the prem, then took derby up or because he has turned around forest into a very good championship team with possibly signing of last season Majewski even though he is hampered by a transfer aquisitions panel?

But you are right, he is currently a championship manager.

Davies has a pretty good record wherever he's been. Forest play some exciting football and were a non-entity before he took charge.

He wasnt given a fair go at Derby and actually vastly outperformed Jewell in terms of that one season they spent in the Premiership.

Beyond that though, he exhibits the kind of passion for the game that could re-ignite the faith of a lot of dis-illusioned fans, myself included.

I'm going to get behind any manager that we appoint, but I have to say I'm now leaning towards the idea of getting a lower league manager.

Someone like Simon Grayson would be ideal IMO. If we're talking about lower league managers that play a nice style of football and have actually acheived something, he's done quite well with Leeds (though I don't know if he's been given a lot of money to spend).