Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, the Daily Mail and Telegraph are reporting that McDonald is still in line. They also state that we won't be speaking to any potential candidates until next week and that there will be no more transfers. Also the Telegraph state that we aren't after a big name, some bullshit that the club is big enough for a lower known candidate to take on the job. Contradiction right there. Pretty much exactly what I thought. Being fobbed off.

If this is the thinking at the top of the club - then heaven help us. KM has proved in 3 games he can't organise or discpline the defence. The players came out second half - and really played like they couldn't give a toss.

Sadly if we are going to poach a manager - the way to do it - is to leak your intentions to the press. That hasn't happened.

Amazingly KM - isn't sure if he wants the job - but if we beleive these reports he is going to get it - a win against Rapid - a draw against everton and he's in charge.

Don't get me wrong luring a big name - won't be easy. But if your running a big football club, with any ambition - you just have to get the appointment right.

Anyone who calls football "soccer" shouldn't work managing a team in this country.

'Soccer' is just as legitimate a term for association football as 'football' is. It originates from an abbreviation of association, 'assoc', which mutated into 'socca' and later to 'soccer'. All of this happened many, many moons ago. The idea that the word 'soccer' is some abhorrent American bastardisation is a phallacy.

Many English speaking countries, such as Australia, Ireland and the USA, have more than one type of 'football'. (Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Gridiron.) The word 'football' in these countries has always been used to describe the native sport. Therefore, the use of the word 'soccer' is necessary in order to differentiate between the different codes.

Just because the use of a certain word is the norm in England doesn't mean that that it should be the norm for all English speaking countries.

(P.S. I really don't want Bob Bradley to be our next manager, but for reasons more meaningful than his vocabulary.)

I was infact joking when I said that....I thought some of the American fans would have said something about that sooner.

It doesn't bother me what the manager will call football, as long as he gets the team playing winning football I'll be happy, it doesn't even have to be exciting in some cases.

Why is everybody so against Bob Bradley?

The USA under him have done fairly well - qualified for the World Cup with ease (although their zone isnt too tough), did very well in the Confederations Cup (beat Spain and nearly beat Brazil in the final) and set up his defence to completely nulify Rooney at the World Cup, although they were disappointing against Ghana. Arguably you could suggest most managers would have done equally as well.

I dont think it'd be a bad appointment in terms of the stuff I posted above, but he has no experience of a proper transfer market (the MLS runs differently) and he hasnt managed any team outside of the US.

F**n Hell - this a low ebb - in almost 40 years of following the villa - the likley candidates of Bradley, KM, Curbishley must be one of the worst shortlists I have ever known. - If we were to get Sam Allardye I d be whooping for joy - thats how poor the list is.

i give up on this manager talk. it wont be anyone decent and i say we will go down in the near future. sorry but im just saying what we are all REALLY thinking.

I think your overreacting a little bit. Have you seen some of the rubbish in the Premier League. We are still among the best 8 teams in the league

Why is everybody so against Bob Bradley?

The USA under him have done fairly well - qualified for the World Cup with ease (although their zone isnt too tough), did very well in the Confederations Cup (beat Spain and nearly beat Brazil in the final) and set up his defence to completely nulify Rooney at the World Cup, although they were disappointing against Ghana. Arguably you could suggest most managers would have done equally as well.

I dont think it'd be a bad appointment in terms of the stuff I posted above, but he has no experience of a proper transfer market (the MLS runs differently) and he hasnt managed any team outside of the US.

Cheers, I don't know much about him apart from being manager of the USA and doing OK for them.

Bradley is a Tony Pulis type manager, he gets the best out of what he has.

I would support him if he came, of course, but to me it would smack of the board unwilling to want to reinvest in the team and just allow the coach to coach what he has and make do, making the odd signing here and there. Much like American Football. He would probably do well in said environment.

I would imagine what is left of our stars would be off after an appointment like Bradley. This appointment will signal the intentions of the club for the next few years. People like Ashley and Gabby aren't going to accept mediocrity.