Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Whats wrong with Sam Allardyce? Tells it how it is, knows how to operate on a budget... looks uncannily like he was a walrus in a past life.... Hes got the lot! :D

Tells it like it is, yes. Knows how to operate on a budget, yes. Walrus, most definetly.

The man to bring us forward? No not for me. He is the sort of a manager that can get the best out of very average players and hard workers. I know he didn't have long at Newcastle but he didn't seem to be able to manage the egos of bigger players or meet the expectation. If we were 17th in the league last season I would probably say yes. I really just don't want to see the Alladyce brand of football being showcased at VP.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thinks we should be doing we can to get Sam Allardyce from Blackburn, pay them compensation and lets's get him. I don't think he was given much chance at Newcastle and given that he can work with minimal resources (though i do feel Lerner will give the next manager full financial backing) I feel he's the man to take us forward.

Dear god.

As much as you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just cannot understand this. We aren't a club on the brim of relegation, who need Big Sams thuggish Kevin Davis style hoofball to stabilize us in the league. We have a decent squad, capable of playing some pretty damn good stuff, as proven against West Ham. We've had enough hoofball the last few seasons to last a lifetime. This sort of appointment or ambition is not 'taking us forward'.

The other names are horrific, this is Aston Villa for **** sake, people should be busting a gut to take this job

In your eyes a fans eyes, which will always be a biased.

I bet some managers dont give a monkeys about Villa or even know where Birmingham is!

This.

We are very quick to label fans of other clubs (Newcastle, Spurs) as "deluded", but this assumption that we are A Big Club exists purely in our own fans' minds.

History counts for nothing. In the eyes of the football world, we - rightly or wrongly, it doesn't matter which - are relatively small fry. An underachieving club from an unfashionable city. One with "potential", perhaps, but no more than that.

The whole Randy Lerner/Martin O'Neill "project" was supposed to change that perception, and for a while it looked like it was going to. But the momentum has been stalled for at least a season now, and we are sailing into choppy waters.

We need to take off the C&B tinted glasses and get back to the slow climb approach - because short of a Man City-style oil sheikh takeover (something I for one would not want) - the big-name players/Champions League/trophy glory explosion is simply not going to happen any time soon.

Results like yesterday's are always a slap in the face, but those of us who've been supporting the Villa for 30, 40, 50 years have seen far, far worse. Football is a fickle mistress who will always let you down. Let's not conform to the stereotype of moaning Villa fans for once.

We have no God-given right to success. If the next step has to be what we may consider a step down - appointing a Bob Bradley, an Alan Curbishley or a Gareth Southgate, for example - so be it. Let's wait and see.

Not really I have heard many a ex-footballer say this is a huge club and potentially a monster club. We are a lot bigger than Spuds and Newcastle, Man City of this world.

We have no God given right to success thats true but we are bigger than most people on here believe we are. If we have a small time attitude then you believe we are a small club

Football is a fickle mistress who will always let you down. Let's not conform to the stereotype of moaning Villa fans for once.

Correct, Mike. You have stepped out of Off Topic to provide a much-required rational viewpoint. :)

Not really I have heard many a ex-footballer say this is a huge club and potentially a monster club. We are a lot bigger than Spuds and Newcastle, Man City of this world.

We might be a bigger club historically than Spurs or Man City. But unfortunately the potential of those two clubs puts them miles ahead of us in terms of attractive propositions for players or managers.

Big clubs do not turn out 36,000 fans for their opening home game of the season, big clubs do not fail to sell out their full ticket allocation for thier first away game of the season. Big clubs naturally attract big name players and big name managers. I love the club and it pains me to say it but we simply are not classified as a big club any longer unfortunately we were not born in the late 1800's or early 1900's when we were the big boys of the football league.

Our biggest problem is that our expectations are 'big club' expectations but with 'medium sized club' resources whcih stems from years of neglect and adequate investment from our previous chairman which takes more than 4 years to recover from. Over over expectation also contributes significantly to our fans being branded as 'fickle' and 'moaners' which to a certain degree obviously niggled at MON.

Let us hope that we appoint a level headed progressive manager who can truely delivery on our next 5 year business plan...

Aston Villa are a big club. They are a massive club. I resent being told my head is in the clouds, i just want the best, i wont settle for the Southgate's and Bob **** Bradleys of this world. Basing the size of a club by it's balance sheet is very sad indeed. If you want to settle for those aforementioned candidates and be happy then I do hope your ambition is not reflected amongst other fans

Its reality i'm afraid, the sooner you accept that the better. You can have ambition but realistic ambition.

Do you really think a player or manger will come to Villa, live in Birmingham just because we wont the European cup years ago?

Its all money money money and been like that for a while.

Hard to disagree with, but we still have a good brand and is a well supported and know club with reasonable finances.

Hard to disagree with, but we still have a good brand and is a well supported and know club with reasonable finances.

That is indeed correct David.

Its why i dont get the hostility towards Randy as he has set us up with some solid foundations and the above.

Football is all about money these days.

I can only assume, by the fact that we have already taken two weeks and are seemingly no nearer appointing a manager, that Randy's target is currently employed by someone else and that we are in negotiations. If he is not employed by anyone else eg. Curbs, Sven, Southgate etc then there should be no reason why he is not at the club already.

The only other scenario for me is that the board are purposely delaying the appointment until after the 1st of September to prevent any money being spent. If we appoint a new manager after that date who could have easily been brought in before it (because he was currently out of work) I shall not be a happy man!

MON left because he didnt get the money he wanted and didnt trim the wage bill, MON has now gone yet the wage bill has not been trimmed. why does everyone still think were gonna have money to spend? especially if we have to pay compensation for a new manager?

MON left because he didnt get the money he wanted and didnt trim the wage bill, MON has now gone yet the wage bill has not been trimmed. why does everyone still think were gonna have money to spend? especially if we have to pay compensation for a new manager?

You know why MON left? that's shocking, no one knows why he left, we've been told nothing.

Martin Jol just signed Mido on a free transfer.....Doubt he would be signing players if he is thinking about leaving.

I can only assume signing Mido is some sort of practical joke to say goodbye to the club!