Barry Bannan

villianusa

Deserves a mention for his performance in reserves tonight. Has all the talent to be a very good player. Gets a lot of stick on hear which is massively undeserved.

He pulled strings, played long and short passes - showed great dribbling skills really played his part in bossing game.

Now I accept that it is tough to play him in CM in a 442 against some of the stronger midfield's in PL and it is a step up.

But the boy has all the talent in world and its up to club to try and get best out of that.

Streets ahead of Albrighton in my book - obviously out wide is not his best position but I would still have him there ahead of Marc right now.

Bannan has quality but McLeish is ruining him. Bannan started the season pretty well and looked like he could be the playmaker we were missing, but now he looks terrible playing. There is no way a player suddenly becomes shit. McLeish destroyed his confidence and doesn't let him play way he wants. I fear McLeish will do the same to gardner.

Nice to see us doing well however reserve team football is a million miles away from PL level.

Many sides only field youth team players where as we tend to field a fairly strong side in most games.

He came on against Blackburn and made a long ball pass and gave the ball away. He's been doing it alot recently along with Collins. All they ever seem to do is give the ball away with stupid passes.

He came on against Blackburn and made a long ball pass and gave the ball away...
That's right, and his second pass too, though shorter, he also lost possession. After that though he was bang on. I think it's fair to give someone a couple of minutes to get the pace of the game and feel of the pitch and conditions. He's a talented player, his corners and free kicks, his shot right near the end - these things started creating chances for us, where there had been none for most of the second half.

I think the problem he's had since the driving thing is that he only has small chances to impress & regain his spot - and when he's on the pitch he's over-ambitious with his passing in his desperation to try to make his mark.

He was starting to look good when he had a run of games early in season, but I don't think he's had 2 starts in a row since The Incident. I'd have him over Albrighton right now, even if wing is not his natural role. He's got a good delivery and I think he could combine well with Ireland & N'Zogbia given a bit of time together. Would definitely improve our threat from set-pieces also.

I think the problem he's had since the driving thing is that he only has small chances to impress & regain his spot - and when he's on the pitch he's over-ambitious with his passing in his desperation to try to make his mark.

He was starting to look good when he had a run of games early in season, but I don't think he's had 2 starts in a row since The Incident. I'd have him over Albrighton right now, even if wing is not his natural role. He's got a good delivery and I think he could combine well with Ireland & N'Zogbia given a bit of time together. Would definitely improve our threat from set-pieces also.

Spot on

Probably wants to be our Paul Scholes but hasn't yet shown anything like the same quality and discipline, but if we are safe with several games to go before the end of the season give him a few games from the start to see if he can grow into being a Premiership footballer.

I think there's as time and a place for Bannan. The kids got talent, he's not going to be starting every game. But if we play at home with a 5 man midfield then i'm sure he'll play excellent and string things together nicely.

Against Chelsea away though thats a different matter.

Just need to use him in he right situations, same with any player really. I like the fact he tries things and sometimes gives the ball away. At least he's trying to do something a bit different.

When he came on he got the best cross into the box in the entire game, it wasn't a great cross but it made the defenders deal with it.

He can whip a ball, bit like Beckham can. No im not saying he is Beckham either before people go on a mad one. I would rather see him playing when we are looking to control possession though.

When he came on he got the best cross into the box in the entire game, it wasn't a great cross but it made the defenders deal with it.

He can whip a ball, bit like Beckham can. No im not saying he is Beckham either before people go on a mad one. I would rather see him playing when we are looking to control possession though.

Calling him Beckham is far more sensible than some of the things Darren Fletcher and Gerard Houllier said.. Darren Fletcher likened him to Xavi, Iniesta and Scholes while Gerard Houllier said when talking about Bannan.. "Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pedro. You can watch and wonder if they are playing in the youth team sometimes.".. In comparison to that comparing him to Beckham is sensible..

To me Bannan would need a bit of a cruncher in midfield which would allow him time to ping the ball about. Never gonna get the chance with 45 minute Petrov. Herd and Gardner is the set up for me plus a Roy Keane type of signing.

Agree completely. Bannan could excel in a midfield as long as he had another player or two who put in the tackles and broke down the play. Herd could be that player but it's too early to tell for him. With our current midfield we can't afford to give him a starting place too often, which is a shame because he has a great delivery.