Barry Bannan

villianusa

Didn't think he had the best game yesterday but he admitted as much himself.

I was surprised he played to be honest because he really ran himself into the ground against Liverpool - he could barely walk when he left the pitch.

For those saying he doesn't work hard watch that game.

For me there is a terrific player in there but we aren't seeing it yet - earlier in season I thought he was great for a few games before the driving ban which has set him back. Right now he is trying too much and showing plenty of poor decision making. Needs the premier league experience before we see the best of him (which by the way goes for most of our young players - all of them are making errors which is why we are still not getting results despite showing far better desire).

I think our best bet is to have him as a squad player, have him playing with some more experienced players who will hopefully come in during summer. In 2 years we might just see him become a proper first team player and hopefully a successful one.

One of, if not the most technically able player at the club who never seems to give anything less than 100% and yet people are saying "get rid". Wake up. Look at the rest of our squad and consider that probably a good chunk of the older players are already off this summer and you want to add talented players like Bannan to that list?

Playing him out wide on the right is hardly going to help him win any doubters over but he's hardly disgraced himself. He is creative, and will only get better. The drink driving thing was completely idiotic, but he surely deserves a second chance given that he has no track record and is still young.

He is young, on a relatively low salary, talented and has a good work ethic to improve himself. Surely any rational person would want him to stay as it is most definitely in the club's best interests for him to? Get a grip.

At the start of the season I was saying maybe I was wrong about him and he might make it here but now I'm starting to think that I was right after all. He rarely plays the simple pass, instead he always opts for these stupid hollywood balls that end up out of play 99% of the time. Just don't think he's good enough for this level.

His ball yesterday for Gabby's out for a throw in chance was simply fantastic and he also set up Herd's goal against Liverpool. I am also not his biggest fan though. Needs to knuckle down and prove his worth. How long can we keep saying he's young etc...

as much as I want BB to come good, I just don't see it.

I know MON thought he was too small, and he may be right. He struggles when given less time and space to tee up his long passes, which are excellent from time to time, but he doesn't have that quickness and close control and then that little bit of pace to run away from pressure (think how other diminutive players succeed in the PL - Mata, Silva) to create dangerous situations.

He doesn't win the ball back, and despite working hard, doesn't work smartly. He leaves the ground to block crosses and loses his man often, doesn't anticipate opponents passes for interceptions, and really can't tackle. In other words, if he isn't receiving the ball in space with time to pick out his pass he is really just a passenger.

I watched how Ireland worked yesterday and was impressed with his tracking back and how smart it was, anticipating the open pass and if not intercepting, then being on top of the opponent right away.

Right now when I watch BB I think "small Charlie Adam".

And this really has nothing to do with where he is played, because his deficiencies come into play all over the pitch.

I've been critical of Bannan a lot since the drink drive rap as I don't think he's played that well since the incident. I thought he was o.k yesterday. As others have said, that was a superb ball over the defence for Gabby to run onto.

The crux of this is he certainly isn't a wide player, he has to be centrally.

I know MON thought he was too small, and he may be right. He struggles when given less time and space to tee up his long passes, which are excellent from time to time, but he doesn't have that quickness and close control and then that little bit of pace to run away from pressure (think how other diminutive players succeed in the PL - Mata, Silva) to create dangerous situations.

He doesn't win the ball back, and despite working hard, doesn't work smartly. He leaves the ground to block crosses and loses his man often, doesn't anticipate opponents passes for interceptions, and really can't tackle. In other words, if he isn't receiving the ball in space with time to pick out his pass he is really just a passenger.

A very accurate assessment IMO.

Assist vs Liverpool, set-up Gabby on a plate vs Stoke. Fantastic corners. Given what we've got at the moment he is worth his place in the team. Links well with Ireland too. Yes he shouldn't be on the wing but I'd still rather we play him as at least he as an ounce of creativity about him unlike the rest of our players.

Him, Ireland and N'zog in a front 3 behind Bent is our best formation imo.

Assist vs Liverpool, set-up Gabby on a plate vs Stoke. Fantastic corners. Given what we've got at the moment he is worth his place in the team. Links well with Ireland too. Yes he shouldn't be on the wing but I'd still rather we play him as at least he as an ounce of creativity about him unlike the rest of our players.

our best formation is 4-4-2. This 4-3-3/4-5-1 system has produced nothing but utter bollocks for 34 out of the 36 times we have played this season.

Bannan has no place in the premier league unless its the Scottish premier league

I've been critical of Bannan a lot since the drink drive rap as I don't think he's played that well since the incident. I thought he was o.k yesterday. As others have said, that was a superb ball over the defence for Gabby to run onto.

The crux of this is he certainly isn't a wide player, he has to be centrally.

Thou i agree he is a central player, for ne the 'crux' is he simply is not good enough for a premier league center mid berth.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2012/04/12/barry-bannan-dont-call-me-a-kid/

Barry Bannan today insisted he tired of being labelled as a “kid” and wants to be considered as one of Villa’s main men in the future.

The midfielder has started the last three games and turned in some mature performances which have drawn praise from manager Alex McLeish.

Bannan, who was involved in off-the-pitch controversy when he was found guilty of drink driving last November, also believes he has done a lot of growing up during this season and is determined to finish the campaign with a flourish.

“There’s only so long you can get classed as a kid and I’d like to think I’m out of that bracket now. I’d like to think I’m more of an established player,” said Bannan.

“Maybe I’ve not played as many games as an established player should have, but I wouldn’t call myself a kid any more.

“I’d probably say I would like to be treated like an older player now.

“I’ve played international football for Scotland as well which has helped and obviously playing in the best league in the world, you’re only going to get better.”

Liking him less and less as time goes by

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2012/04/12/barry-bannan-dont-call-me-a-kid/

Barry Bannan today insisted he tired of being labelled as a “kid” and wants to be considered as one of Villa’s main men in the future.

The midfielder has started the last three games and turned in some mature performances which have drawn praise from manager Alex McLeish.

Bannan, who was involved in off-the-pitch controversy when he was found guilty of drink driving last November, also believes he has done a lot of growing up during this season and is determined to finish the campaign with a flourish.

“There’s only so long you can get classed as a kid and I’d like to think I’m out of that bracket now. I’d like to think I’m more of an established player,” said Bannan.

“Maybe I’ve not played as many games as an established player should have, but I wouldn’t call myself a kid any more.

“I’d probably say I would like to be treated like an older player now.

“I’ve played international football for Scotland as well which has helped and obviously playing in the best league in the world, you’re only going to get better.”

Liking him less and less as time goes by

Agreed. It sounds like he has a bit of an attitude.

Established players are established because they have proved themselves.

Didn't think he had the best game yesterday but he admitted as much himself.

I was surprised he played to be honest because he really ran himself into the ground against Liverpool - he could barely walk when he left the pitch.

For those saying he doesn't work hard watch that game.

For me there is a terrific player in there but we aren't seeing it yet - earlier in season I thought he was great for a few games before the driving ban which has set him back. Right now he is trying too much and showing plenty of poor decision making. Needs the premier league experience before we see the best of him (which by the way goes for most of our young players - all of them are making errors which is why we are still not getting results despite showing far better desire).

I think our best bet is to have him as a squad player, have him playing with some more experienced players who will hopefully come in during summer. In 2 years we might just see him become a proper first team player and hopefully a successful one.

**** me, a sensible post like this is bound to get ignored!

Herd, at 23, is starting to prove why we shouldn't write players off too young. Give Bannan a chance, he might just come good...

our best formation is 4-4-2. This 4-3-3/4-5-1 system has produced nothing but utter bollocks for 34 out of the 36 times we have played this season.

Bannan has no place in the premier league unless its the Scottish premier league

Absolute horse shit.

We usually get trampled all over in the middle of the park when we play 4,4,2 by way of having no physicality in the midfield. We are too shit to play 4,4,2 against any team with a midfield...

Absolute horse shit.

We usually get trampled all over in the middle of the park when we play 4,4,2 by way of having no physicality in the midfield. We are too shit to play 4,4,2 against any team with a midfield...

okay. 4-4-2 never worked under MON did it. you actually think we are better under mcleishs 4-5-1? We get trampled over into the middle of the park anyway. at least with 4-4-2 there is more of a threat upfront