Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

If we sell Downing now it will be the end of my involvement with Aston Villa. We've sold Barry, Mulberry over the past 2 seasons to our detriment each time. This would be the final straw.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get real ...... Downing is no Barry, he's a player who had a good season at Villasboro and has done nothing since signing here. He doesn't score, his passing is poor, he doesn't work hard off the ball, his crossing is poor, his dead-balls are laughable and, in case you haven't noticed, he is terrified of any physical challenge since breaking his foot.

Truth is he wouldn't make the starting line-up of any of the top sides, nor come close. He's been better this season than last but that simply means he's been poor instead of garbage and yes, he's been one of our better players this season which, again, means he's been poor when others have been garbage.

£12M would be the deal of the century and would probably buy us 2 or 3 players better than he is now. It would also open up attacking options that we don't have when he plays.

If we sell Downing now it will be the end of my involvement with Aston Villa. We've sold Barry, Mulberry over the past 2 seasons to our detriment each time. This would be the final straw.

Lol "Mulberry"

I was thinking the same thing earlier.

It wouldnt actually be the end of my involvement but it would be the end of my support for the current owners.

But more prolific than anyone else this season, with 3 more league goals than Ash who's been playing in the hole and scored 2 (one a penalty).

Totally pointless to bring up Downing's goal scoring as a negative. If he was a player who 'doesn't score' we'd be in the drop zone and 5 goals clear with worst GD in the prem.

Lol "Mulberry"

I was thinking the same thing earlier.

It wouldnt actually be the end of my involvement but it would be the end of my support for the current owners.

Bloody Gingerbread keyboard auto-correct :)

Of course, I'm always Villa, but I wouldn't back on board until there was a regime change.

For £12 million I'd sell him. He's good and all that but he's too inconsistent. We'd need a replacement of course but if we got our money back on him we'd be doing well.

In what possible way would we be "doing well" selling one of our better players ?

Crazy talk.

• 3 weeks later...
Skysports.com understands Liverpool have made an approach to sign Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.

The England international has impressed for Villa this season and has been an ever-present for the club in the Premier League.

He is Villa's top scorer with five goals in the league and is understood to have been the subject of an enquiry from Sunderland last week.

The 26-year-old is now being targeted by Liverpool as new manager Kenny Dalglish seeks to inject some fresh blood into his squad.

Downing cost Villa £12million from Middlesbrough 18 months ago and he has made 64 appearances after injury delayed the start of his career in the Midlands.

Villa boss Gerard Houllier revealed last month that he was confident that he would be able to retain the services of Downing during the January transfer window.

However, Villa's pursuit of Sunderland striker Darren Bent could prompt the club to consider letting Downing move on.

An offer of £18million is reported to have been made for Bent and cashing in on Downing would provide some of the funds to bring in his fellow England international.

LINK

"If" we do buy Darren Bent, and then "if" we do sell Downing, its an exercise in futility. You buy a striker for £18,000,000, then sell one of the few people in the team with crossing ability and creativity for your new striker to score from.

Barmy.

Â