Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would not want us to lose Downing at all. What is the point in buying good players then letting your better ones leave?

Besides we paid 12M for him, you expect to get at least that and maybe close to 15M if he went

Would not want us to lose Downing at all. What is the point in buying good players then letting your better ones leave?

Besides we paid 12M for him, you expect to get at least that and maybe close to 15M if he went

Same. Although if Young signs a new contract and is played on the wing, the money could then be spent to improve us for sure.

I don't think he will go though. Not after the signals of signing Bent.

Question is this:

How many people do we have in the squad who can score 15-20 league goals per season? None.

How many do we have with a decent delivery/pass - A handful.

We need a Darren Bent more than we need a Stewart Downing. In an ideal world, we'd have both, but if it had to be one or the other, I'd personally take DB.

If we got rid of Downing, then we could put Ash back out on the wing and start giving Albrighton more game time. We could then play Heskey up front with Bent. We'd a lot more balanced.

The big thing though, if we were to sell SD, is to make sure Ashley Young stays.

According to SSN, someone close to Downing says that there is genuine interest.

Hope not, yes, maybe he has not been the great player we thought he would be but he has been one of our better players and someone that can feed Bent if he comes.

Goes against everything Houllier has in his plans if he goes, IMO, as he wants Ash behind the striker leaving on Albrighton to play on the wing, unless he believes Gabby is more of a winger than a striker?

Interesting to see how this pans out given the last episode of FSW and Barry. Does Downing want to go a la Barry. If so then Liverpool are going to have to stump up a massive wodge of cash to unseat him now in January (unless we need the cash, and the feeling I'm gettin is that we just need to get the wage bill down only). I would only let him go now (if he wants out) for stupid money - like 4 to 5 mil more than we paid. Cant see Dalglish wanting to pay that much. Maybe its all posturing from Liverpool - more like a statement of intent. Doesn't make sense. Letting him go now would also weaken our chances of climbing the table I feel.

Would only sell Downing if we get Young to sign a new contract. Young best position is on the left. But if he leaving in the summer, then we need to keep Downing. But would find it hard if Liverpool are interested, as the lure of helping restore a fallen giant in Liverpool.

Yes Liverpool might be interested, however Villa confirmed earlier that Downing was NOT for sale to Sunderland. Therefore why would we sell to Liverpool?

We need a bigger squad...not one in one out.

Downing is our club record transfer for £12M so why sell for £8M to Plop. Would be very surprised - he's top scorer this season & when he's on his

game he creates decent chances.

Cant see Downing being the quality player Liverpool need to get back into the top 4.

I'd say Downing is worth 12m.. but its January and we're spending 18m on a striker. If they bid 15m+ I could unerstand us taking it if we have a backup in line ready - cant spend rest of the season with Young+Albrighton. If one gets injured or sent off again we'd be screwed as we rely on our wingers.

If one gets injured or sent off again we'd be screwed as we rely on our wingers.

Perhaps we're trying to sign players so that we do not need to rely on our wingers so much?

I would like to keep him but if we can improve on a midfield most teams walk through then we need to move on.

But I wouldn't sell **** all to Liverpool.

I cant really understand why we would buy a propper goalscorer then imediately hamper him by selling one of our most creative players... It makes no sense.

However a lot of this will be down to the skys love in with the (er...) big 4!

Downing will not leave, we do not need to sell and we would find it difficult to replace someone of his standard. Villa have told Downing he is not for sale and he is fine with that and happy to continue playing for Villa, he enjoys it here.

Â