The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think this will mean Man U won’t be looking to sign him in the summer.  I’m glad about that. 

I don’t think it will factor too much into their thinking... if they want him they’ll still want him. Half their players will be doing the same thing without being stupid enough to crash their car... as Eddie Howe was saying yesterday, all the single ones must be sitting there bored out of their minds.

But agreed I hope he stays! 

7 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I love how people say "take the captaincy off him" like the captaincy means a damn thing. They call heads or tails before a game and wear an armband. It means jack shit (no pun intended).

A leader is a leader whether they are "captain" or not.

You don't think being the captain of the club he's supported all his life will mean a lot to him personally? It would be a blow for him to lose it and being cynical also will hurt commercially being the face of Aston Villa.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

You don't think being the captain of the club he's supported all his life will mean a lot to him personally? It would be a blow for him to lose it.

The wage packet will soften it, I hope he sees sense and stays at Villa. He’s a boyhood fan like anyone of us on here but I also wouldn’t blame him if he did leave, he has been carrying us for a long time now

3 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I actually agree with everything you said. I was just laughing because it's the total opposite of what you've constantly been saying for months!

I think it’s just jealousy from me, I wish I had an ounce of his talent or looks. As you should know by now, take what I say with a pinch of salt

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I love how people say "take the captaincy off him" like the captaincy means a damn thing. They call heads or tails before a game and wear an armband. It means jack shit (no pun intended).

A leader is a leader whether they are "captain" or not.

I disagree.

in theory he should be the manager on the pitch as Dennis Mortimer was.....if he is not, ( and thats for other opinions )then you might be right.

It has been said many times, the great teams have 11 captains.....but the official captain has to have the final word and be endorsed by the club.

If the argument drifts in to "Leadership v Captaincy you would hope they mean the same thing, but in some cases the badge gets pinned on the best player......that is not the ideal way to dispense it... .it may be the only way under the circumstances, but that don't make it right.

The great Leeds team had leaders all over the pitch, but there was no doubt Billy Bremner was the Captain.....The Derby team was the same with Dave Mackay....there are many, many other examples.

In my honest opinion, I think we need to sign one......a dominant midfield leader who can captain and lead the side.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Our last proper one was Andy Townsend really (probably sticks in my mind more given he was last to lift a major trophy for us). You also had likes of GOD and Southgate at back and Ian Taylor who in this current era would probably be captain so we were stacked with them and others like Alan Wright who were consistant and quietly lead by example.

You could probably say Barry and Petrov were more Alan Wright types when they shared the armband over 5-6 seasons.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our last proper one was Andy Townsend really (probably sticks in my mind more given he was last to lift a major trophy for us). You also had likes of GOD and Southgate at back and Ian Taylor who in this current era would probably be captain so we were stacked with them and others like Alan Wright who were consistant and quietly lead by example.

You could probably say Barry and Petrov were more Alan Wright types when they shared the armband over 5-6 seasons.

Terry 

Just now, Zatman said:

Terry 

I actually thought Terry didn't have that same presence on the pitch as he did at Chelsea. Don't get me wrong he was still talking to other players but thought it was more quietly leading by example which is generally how his year on the pitch with us went, keeping out of the headlines.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

I actually thought Terry didn't have that same presence on the pitch as he did at Chelsea. Don't get me wrong he was still talking to other players but thought it was more quietly leading by example which is generally how his year on the pitch with us went, keeping out of the headlines.

I think this is true

This isn't a 'Thing' of much consequence if he's committed to Villa for his career. But he's not, he's clearly off whenever the window opens, so there's a bit more desire to give him a knock or two.

Let’s be honest we won’t strip him of captaincy, if there was a game on Saturday and Smith had to do a press conference tomorrow then of course he would be but let’s be honest by the time we get back to playing this WILL be forgotten about and I’m sure there will be other clubs making the headlines in some shape or form.

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I disagree.

in theory he should be the manager on the pitch as Dennis Mortimer was.....if he is not, ( and thats for other opinions )then you might be right.

It has been said many times, the great teams have 11 captains.....but the official captain has to have the final word and be endorsed by the club.

If the argument drifts in to "Leadership v Captaincy you would hope they mean the same thing, but in some cases the badge gets pinned on the best player......that is not the ideal way to dispense it... .it may be the only way under the circumstances, but that don't make it right.

The great Leeds team had leaders all over the pitch, but there was no doubt Billy Bremner was the Captain.....The Derby team was the same with Dave Mackay....there are many, many other examples.

In my honest opinion, I think we need to sign one......a dominant midfield leader who can captain and lead the side.

Everyone has leadership qualities in them, but few are given a role that reflects as much in title.

Grealish can drink with McCormack and still be a good captain, even a great captain, but this whole situation, for me, highlights that he is not yet at that stage.

I fear that he is not so concerned with being the best captain he can be for his boyhood club, even for the time being, and is quite distracted. What would I know though?

I felt ashamed of the abuse Grealish received when he posted a photo with his sister, and I feel ashamed reading some of the replies to this incident.

The thing is though Jack, and I hope he realises, he can rise above and beyond all the misunderstandings of common folk, and he can lead.

You know, I heard something the other day about one of the greatest leaders in sports history, Michael Jordan, and it was that he got his father killed through mafia association.

I have photos of myself wearing Jordan's at age 4, Mum says I was saying "Air Jordan" at age 2, I've played basketball since I was 5, even if the above is true, he's still an inspiring leader.

15 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Everyone has leadership qualities in them, but few are given a role that reflects as much in title.

Grealish can drink with McCormack and still be a good captain, even a great captain, but this whole situation, for me, highlights that he is not yet at that stage.

I fear that he is not so concerned with being the best captain he can be for his boyhood club, even for the time being, and is quite distracted. What would I know though?

I felt ashamed of the abuse Grealish received when he posted a photo with his sister, and I feel ashamed reading some of the replies to this incident.

The thing is though Jack, and I hope he realises, he can rise above and beyond all the misunderstandings of common folk, and he can lead.

You know, I heard something the other day about one of the greatest leaders in sports history, Michael Jordan, and it was that he got his father killed through mafia association.

I have photos of myself wearing Jordan's at age 4, Mum says I was saying "Air Jordan" at age 2, I've played basketball since I was 5, even if the above is true, he's still an inspiring leader.

Funnily enough michael jordan is a prime example of shitty behaviour being ignored because of athletic brilliance. 

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Funnily enough michael jordan is a prime example of shitty behaviour being ignored because of athletic brilliance. 

I don't think anybody's ignoring. Certainly not in Jack's case. I'd say people are hyper-focused.

When it gets to Adam Johnson and Karim Benzema levels of foul play that's when I think adoration and celebration for athletic ability should cease.

Each to their own.

Edited by A'Villan

On 02/04/2020 at 21:17, VillaChris said:

Yeah.

In those days we signed them, we made it a point to have one in the team., we signed character......now, i am not sure what they are looking at.....its not pace, its not combative skills, its not leadership skills.

Edited by TRO

Â