The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Yeah that's what I meant about riding the challenges above, and why I used the word toughness rather than strength.

Once he has more experience he'll be even better at riding those challenges and winning free kicks instead of being tackled.

I don't actually think strength is the main issue, though he will develop on that front for sure.

If you look at players like Ashley Young and David Silva they are by no means strong, it is more about knowing where to put your body in relation to the defender being assured of your touch.

That comes with game time and given his touch and skill it wouldnt surprise me if in a season or two he is very very economical with the ball.

I imagine a lot of it will have been down to confidence. I know he's had a fair amount of game time out on loan and he's looked pretty good, but turning out for a prem team, especially one where he wants to prove he's worth keeping in the team, is pretty nerve wrecking for a young lad. As he plays more and feels himself that he belongs in the team, we'll see more of what he's about. And like you say, he'll then be better on the ball in regards to riding/shielding challenges rather than drawing fouls.

I don't actually think strength is the main issue, though he will develop on that front for sure.

If you look at players like Ashley Young and David Silva they are by no means strong, it is more about knowing where to put your body in relation to the defender being assured of your touch.

That comes with game time and given his touch and skill it wouldnt surprise me if in a season or two he is very very economical with the ball.

I imagine a lot of it will have been down to confidence. I know he's had a fair amount of game time out on loan and he's looked pretty good, but turning out for a prem team, especially one where he wants to prove he's worth keeping in the team, is pretty nerve wrecking for a young lad. As he plays more and feels himself that he belongs in the team, we'll see more of what he's about. And like you say, he'll then be better on the ball in regards to riding/shielding challenges rather than drawing fouls.

Where did he go on loan ?

No. He'd be the first Irish player.

Just as if Owen Hargreaves had broken any records he would have been the first English player to do whatever it was he did, despite never having lived in England until he was 27.

Lionel Messi is a Spanish citizen. Had he declared for Spain, which he had every right to, then everyone would refer to him as Spanish. He'd be the greatest Spanish player to have lived.

People wouldn't say he's the greatest Argentinian player to have ever lived, oh but he plays for Spain.

Diego Costa is the example of that. in football he is spanish. Despite the fact he didn't live there until he was 21 and already played twice for Brazil before declaring for Spain.

If he breaks records he'll be known as the first Spanish player to do whatever it is.

That's how it works in football. We're not a special case just because its England/Ireland.

I can't quite believe I've spent so long explaining this!

First Irish player would be correct.

`British' would be a misnomer, in that these are the British Isles, therefore English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish are all British.

As a person I would imagine he is English, and holding a United Kingdom passport.

Here in Northern Ireland, we have dual nationality, and can choose either a united Kingdom or Irish passport.

Will someone just ask him to upload his passport onto Instagram please

His passport will be British, as he is. I understand the argument from other people. I don't agree and I can't understand how anybody can think that way. But it's a meaningless argument and I should respect their opinion either way.

Is Benteke Belgian?

I don't think it would dilute the quality of debate over the last few pages (!) to post a comment made by Richard Herring to the effect that racists are closer to seeing the human race as one than non- racists.......because whereas non racists see over 150 nationalities, ethnic groups etc, your racist just sees their own colour and ' everyone else' .......so the non racists are 150 steps away from seeing the world as one, and the racists just one.

Ho ho.

Where did he go on loan ?

Notts County

Benteke has put some of his recent success down to Jack apparently and says he hopes he'll feed him again on Sunday. Think that means he'll start at Wembley! Bet he never expected this at the start of the season!

Â