The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Don’t confine it to Grealish.  Boo every single touch Man City and every other ESL team for that matter have at VP.

Can we focus on cheering on our own players instead please? I'll be exhausted if I go your route.

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Does anyone use an encyclopedia these days?

(This is from someone who was really excited about getting "The Joy of Knowledge" subscription every week.)

Well not the old dusty books. If you go to any car boot sales there are dozens of them. Take up needless space now with tinternet.

• Like 1

Now the dust is dying down regarding the transfer I can now reflect on it in the cold light of day.

It was obvious to grealish and it was to some on here, that his head had been turned as long ago as 3 years ago when Spuds were sniffing around, then other vulture clubs a couple of years ago and now his time with England at the Euros has given him a taste of..........of what to be honest...?

....Winning lots of stuff, yes, well he will do that with them and most professional footballers treat the job as well just that, a job, and if the chance was to become more successful and richer, then most players probably would take the same route if we are honest.

But......I think the reason why they bought him was not for what grealish thinks...I think they bought him for being the poster boy in a similar mould to Bechkham for example, the amount of shirts and additional exposure will be huge to that club...they will recoup the transfer fee with ease.

Man Ci£y are such a boring team but with the addition of grealish making the odd appearance will add to their exposure especially in the far east where yet more massive riches await them based purely on his face (and hair).....and thats why they bought him...marketing purposes, playing football is secondary.....and grealish has not yet woken up to that fact, but he will and regret this for a long long time.

VTID

Derek

Think the Spurs thing isnt fully correct, he said at the time he thought he was leaving because we needed the money. He had emotionally left us on that opening game vs Hull so can be tough to mentally get back

Said it before but his agent is a problem but think his father as well, he was having public feuds with the Ireland management when Jack was 18 and has the overbearing father approach 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m not sure he’s left on very good terms. Certainly not on our terms, and not with a lot of fans, hence the bitter disappointment. And booing would be a very, very natural vocalisation of that disappointment.

I can understand perfectly why you, or anyone else, don’t want to boo a former favourite player, but to say booing him would make us look pathetic is expecting far too much emotional distance from what is for many of us quite an emotional situation. A level of emotional distance I, frankly, personally don’t particularly want to have as a football fan. 

I don't think it's possible for a player as good as Grealish to leave to a club as good as Man City on any better terms than he did. 

Like I've been saying, he's being punished for being good.

If he was shit and stayed here for another 5 years and left on a free to Blackburn everyone would be sucking his balls

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think it's possible for a player as good as Grealish to leave to a club as good as Man City on any better terms than he did. 

Like I've been saying, he's being punished for being good.

Then maybe it wasn’t possible for Jack to leave for Man City on good terms right now. That was still the choice he made. 

That’s the game. We get emotionally invested in good players. Especially good homegrown players. We express those emotions in the stands and that’s what makes the live football experience so good.

We chanted Jack’s name in adoration, and defended him to the hilt, because we were emotionally invested in him. We (or some) would boo him now, because we’re bitterly disappointed our best player chose to leave us. Both are completely normal football fan behaviour, and neither is more pathetic than the other. Jack is no more being punished now for being good, than he has been unconditionally supported for being good.  

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Now the dust is dying down regarding the transfer I can now reflect on it in the cold light of day.

It was obvious to grealish and it was to some on here, that his head had been turned as long ago as 3 years ago when Spuds were sniffing around, then other vulture clubs a couple of years ago and now his time with England at the Euros has given him a taste of..........of what to be honest...?

....Winning lots of stuff, yes, well he will do that with them and most professional footballers treat the job as well just that, a job, and if the chance was to become more successful and richer, then most players probably would take the same route if we are honest.

But......I think the reason why they bought him was not for what grealish thinks...I think they bought him for being the poster boy in a similar mould to Bechkham for example, the amount of shirts and additional exposure will be huge to that club...they will recoup the transfer fee with ease.

Man Ci£y are such a boring team but with the addition of grealish making the odd appearance will add to their exposure especially in the far east where yet more massive riches await them based purely on his face (and hair).....and thats why they bought him...marketing purposes, playing football is secondary.....and grealish has not yet woken up to that fact, but he will and regret this for a long long time.

VTID

Derek

Agree with your point RE Beckham - even their first home game V Norwich is on General sale

Also I've been reading his head was turned by Man U in the first season we were back in the PL when we were struggling

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Both are completely normal football fan behaviour, and neither is more pathetic than the other.

Bang on.

Calling it pathetic is weird. If I were to ask an Everton fan, or a Palace fan if they found it weird or pathetic, they'd probably say no. That's usually a pretty unbiased barometre of fan behaviour.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Based on Purslow's statement, it clearly isn't good terms.

What makes you think that?  He said he didn't want him to leave Villa (obvious) but that Man City met a release clause that we didn't think would be met.  Grealish then had a very emotional conversation with Purslow (and whoever else) before making the tough decision to leave.

For a star player to be moving from a mid table team to a club challenging on all fronts, I think he's left on quite incredibly good terms and would probably be welcomed back with open arms in 5 years or so*.

* - With a lot of "ifs" involved regarding how Man City, Villa and Grealish are all performing at that point.

• Like 2

The best way to treat him will be indifference. He will expect a mix of cheers and jeers. Getting nothing at all will play with his tiny mind. By the time it processes through his chav brain, the game will be over and we'll have won 2 - 1.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

What makes you think that?  He said he didn't want him to leave Villa (obvious) but that Man City met a release clause that we didn't think would be met.  Grealish then had a very emotional conversation with Purslow (and whoever else) before making the tough decision to leave.

For a star player to be moving from a mid table team to a club challenging on all fronts, I think he's left on quite incredibly good terms and would probably be welcomed back with open arms in 5 years or so*.

* - With a lot of "ifs" involved regarding how Man City, Villa and Grealish are all performing at that point.

It was a pretty cold statement. No thanking Jack, I think he was fuming. Also if you read the Athletic article (I know), Purslow refused to accept the bid, and was trying to push him to United/Real to avoid dealing with City, and Jack's camp continued to push.

Why boo the kid?  He was sensational for us and has dragged us along for the last 3 years or so and is the best player I have seen in a Villa shirt.  I would have much preferred him to stay but his parting gift is £100m which should allow us to build a much stronger squad and, if wisely spent, should make us more able to challenge.

I will still watch his career with interest but I will not support him/Citeh and would have a "meh" reaction to him on his return.

Of course Citeh have bought "Brand Grealish" and, I suspect, will make really good marketing collateral out of him globally but that is what big clubs do and, hopefully, in the future, we will be guilty of the same!

49 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Can we focus on cheering on our own players instead please? I'll be exhausted if I go your route.

Yeah granted it might be a big ask with Man City’s likely 80% possession.

50 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Agree with your point RE Beckham - even their first home game V Norwich is on General sale

General sale with 6 tickets available per purchase. Massive club 

Grealish will do very well at Man City IMO and think he will be excellent under Pep, but he's worth 100m to them because of his marketability and the potential to expand their fan base primarily, the footballing side of things is secondary 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Based on Purslow's statement, it clearly isn't good terms.

I disagree. They wanted to keep him, he decided to leave. Just because they didn't want the same thing doesn't mean it was on bad terms.

He's gone about everything the right way, he hasn't forced anything through, he hasn't sulked, he hasn't gone on strike, I really don't see what he's done wrong.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bang on.

Calling it pathetic is weird. If I were to ask an Everton fan, or a Palace fan if they found it weird or pathetic, they'd probably say no. That's usually a pretty unbiased barometre of fan behaviour.

I think they'd question why we were booing him. As we would do with them if it was the other way round. 

I remember plenty of people, myself included, questioning why Liverpool fans hated Raheem Sterling so much when he left for familiar reasons and on worse terms than grealish did.

58 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It was a pretty cold statement. No thanking Jack, I think he was fuming. Also if you read the Athletic article (I know), Purslow refused to accept the bid, and was trying to push him to United/Real to avoid dealing with City, and Jack's camp continued to push.

Utd and Real hadn't made a bid, and City had met a release clause that the club was contractually obliged to accept that expired in a matter of days.

Are we really saying Jack's "team" didn't have every right to pursue that?

Â