Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I actually haven't watched the IT crowd, it just passed me by for some reason.

After seeing you all recommend it i think i will have to start.

I watched the outing one to the theatre after seeing you all chatting about it and it was very funny, i suspect it would be more so if i actually knew the characters properly.

The fact that Guided By Voices got mentioned in an episode, pushes the IT Crowd up my list of favourite comedy shows from the past few years.

Yeah, the one bloke had a GBV poster on the wall, too.

Have you watched the IT crowd? Its a given but you may have missed it. Loving Catastrophe at the moment, people always talk highly of Nathan Barley.

Yeah, nice tip :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  -- indeed, we watched and re-watched, but that's a few years back at this point. Can't believe it was cancelled.

Unfortunately, I tried to find "Green Wing" and "The Detectorists" and neither is available for (legal) commercial streaming through Apple, Netflix, etc. in the USA. Yet!

You can use VPN services like TunnelBear to watch British TV in the States (and in the US, it's perfectly legal to use them as far as I know). I will need to see what I can dig up that way.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

Forgive me if you've seen some of these, but off the top of my head, and having a quick glance at my DVDs, here's a list of stuff you may like:

Episodes

Toast of London

Father Ted

I'm Alan Partridge

Catastrophe

The Mighty Boosh (I'll get pelters from some for this one!)

Black Books

The Thick of It

Inside Number 9 & Psychoville (both from the guys who did the League of Gentlemen)

Moone Boy 

Nathan Barley

Garth Merenghi's Darkplace

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

Forgive me if you've seen some of these, but off the top of my head, and having a quick glance at my DVDs, here's a list of stuff you may like:

Episodes

Toast of London

Father Ted

I'm Alan Partridge

Catastrophe

Black Books

The Thick of It

Inside Number 9 & Psychoville (both from the guys who did the League of Gentlemen)

Moone Boy 

Nathan Barley

Great list.

Just add Peep Show, Brass Eye, League of Gentlemen, Spaced and a few older comedies (Fawlty Towers and Porridge etc) and you would have my comedy DVD collection.

• Like 2

So you should!  :P

The Thick of It - great shout! Superb

May be stating the obvious but The Office (UK version). 12 episodes, 1 two-part Christmas special and that's your lot. Short, sweet and utterly brilliant. 

• Like 1

So you should!  :P

The Thick of It - great shout! Superb

May be stating the obvious but The Office (UK version). 12 episodes, 1 two-part Christmas special and that's your lot. Short, sweet and utterly brilliant. 

Yes, The Office is a great shout, as is Extras.

Episodes

Toast of London

Father Ted

I'm Alan Partridge

Catastrophe

Black Books

The Thick of It

Moone Boy 

Nathan Barley

Great list.

Just add Peep Show, Brass Eye, League of Gentlemen, Spaced and a few older comedies (Fawlty Towers and Porridge etc) and you would have my comedy DVD collection.

Was just going on recentish shows (although Father Ted / Partridge etc are knocking on a bit now, I suppose), and list a few that maybe hadn't been mentioned yet. Porridge would be a shoe in for my all time top 10, I think. 

They love Gervais Stateside, so I'd bet Shifty has seen the original Office and Extras. Both great shows though. 

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

It's like you want us to hate you...

My Family

My Hero

Mrs Brown's Boys

Must revisit the shield.

Watched the first 2 episodes and thought it was cheesey overacted shite.

Clearly I was wrong!

It's one of the few shows I have watched that I feel got better and better the longer it went. The seasons just got stronger. Seasons 5-7 were, for me, utterly superb. Its definitely worth the effort. Due to talking about it at work so much, 2 colleagues have started on it and they're both enjoying it (still in the fist season).

I very much enjoyed The Shield but I think it's really just an excellent 'cop show' (with small bits of other stuff) as that's the focus of it all the way through whereas The Wire, for example, looks at and develops the characters of the criminals, too - as well as then delving in to politics and other institutions quite a bit (I know there's a bit of politics in The Shield but it's rather incidental).

I know what you mean. The Wire is much more than just a cop show. I think The Wire has the better writing as well, but for sheer jaw dropping moments and action, then its The Shield. Both great shows.

Thinking of going a bit further back and starting on NYPD Blue or Homicide: Life on the Street

• Like 1

Not a comedy but Jonathan Creek has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Was obsessed it with it when I was younger. I still want to live in a windmill and solve improbable crimes now! 

• Like 4

Â