Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Has anyone watched Arrow? if so, thoughts?

I've watched it, its dumb but fun.

First couple of series were good, especially the integrated back story

Latest season is a bit too ridiculous though but still watchable.

it was the opposite experience for me. 

S1 wasn't great, S2 got much better, and S3 is the best season so far.

All of it is good fun though, silly entertainment for when you just want to unwind in the evening after a long day at work

There are no good tv shows, they all suck

Try creating some drama or action in your life instead, much more fun.

I kind of agree. There are plenty of TV programmes I like, but the majority are factual rather than drama or comedy. TBH it wouldn't bother me greatly if 90% of TV ceased to exist.

I assume you mean The Office US, which is far superior to the original UK version.

I like the US Office a lot but the UK version is near perfect.

To be fair, its difficult to truly compare. One is a 200 episode beast, the was very short and sweet. 

Yep. But I'm glad they kept the major ingredients which made the original excellent such as Tim and Gareth and then made the whole thing into a standard US sitcom based on those strong characters. Dwight is almost a better Gareth than Gareth.

Has anyone watched Arrow? if so, thoughts?

I've watched it, its dumb but fun.

First couple of series were good, especially the integrated back story

Latest season is a bit too ridiculous though but still watchable.

Cheers, pretty much what my mate said. Completely cheesey and OTT but ridiculously entertaining. First season is on Amazon Prime so i'll give it a go as I fancy something lightweight for a change.

It's very lightweight and pulpy, but I enjoy it. It's basically Batman Begins extended over the length of a TV show. It lives and dies on how likeable you find some of the characters because the storylines aren't classics and the acting in some respects is... weak. I also think it would far more suit a shorter run series to series.

As for the series... 1 is by far the weakest, troubled with a poor overarcing villain and lots of origin stuff. Series 2 is far better, a good villain, good action, and less obvious filler. 3 thus far sits somewhere between the two. On paper everything's there to pick up where series 2 left off, but it's often felt disjointed and has an absentee villain who should be a vicious and daunting figure, instead he's just constantly mentioned. The action has gone down a peg as well.

Saying all that, it opens up the Flash in series 2, which is joyful television and strangely works alongside Arrow in the same universe despite how opposed their tone is.

Worth your time, but don't expect earth shattering telly.

• Like 1

Started watching justified, it's ok, olyphant under plays the main character pretty well and it's just about good enough to stick with, solid but unspectacular, do t think I'd have stuck with it on a weekly basis

Funnily enough, I watched the first episode of Justified last night. I'd seen a few odd episodes over the years and always thought it was ok. Decent but one to watch every now and again, not get absorbed in like the Wire or Shield. I do like Olyphant and Goggins though so that's what attracted me to it. 

I assume you mean The Office US, which is far superior to the original UK version.

Well that's probably the most untrue statement I've ever read on VillaTalk.

US office was good. In fact for a season or two it was excellent.

But there's absolutely no way on earth it's better than the original, let alone "far superior". And the fact that it jumped the shark about 7 years ago and is still going just makes it worse and worse.

All about opinions eh? I think it's far superior. You (and quite a few others) don't :-)

Arrow was pretty shitty for me.

Depends how into the comics you are I guess, personally I've never ready one but it was very meh to me.

it gets better after S1

Gonna have to binge on House of Cards next week, can't wait...

just started S1 of House of Cards, 5 episodes in, and its fantastic.

• Like 1

Loving House of Cards.  I remember the BBC original from the 1990s and I really enjoyed that but the Netflix remake is brilliantly done, especially with how they have updated it to reflect the political realities of a 24 hour news cycle the power of the internet, mobile phones and social media.  

Â