Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Not sure if this is the right place to post or if I can call it a “good” TV drama but did anyone watch Floodlights (BBC2) last night?

Pretty gut-wrenching to be honest and at times an uncomfortable watch. Just shouldn’t have been allowed to happen.

Just heard that season two of "Jack Reacher" won't be based on the second book but Bad Luck and Trouble, the eleventh.

Good choice in my opinion although I'd probably have gone for Persuader.

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just heard that season two of "Jack Reacher" won't be based on the second book but Bad Luck and Trouble, the eleventh.

Good choice in my opinion although I'd probably have gone for Persuader.

Great choice, gets the team back together, YOU DO NOT F**K WITH THE SPECIAL INVESTIGATORS 

Spoiler

He would have been brown bread if not for the heavy traffic 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Started on the second half of the latest season of Ozark.

Briliant stuff as always, but couldn't help thinking the whole way through the episode I've seen how annoyed @mjmooney would be at all the hip hop in it :) 

(I think I've seen on this thread that you watch it Mike, apologies if not)

I had visions of you being clueless during that scene in the diner near the end

On 02/05/2022 at 20:25, villa4europe said:

Nas running all the way through it was weird too

Still that line

"why don't you sleep?" 

"Well, you know" 

I got that reference!!! 

This was the bit I was talking about above.

(The reference is revealed right at the end of the episode by the way)

I liked the episode, but the hip hop did feel a bit forced. It felt a bit like they listened to that Nas track (which is excellent, but still) and thought "Ah that line would be a good title for an episode" and almost wrote the episode completely around that.

I noticed that Robin Wright directed the episode, and as far as I can see she's a very inexperienced director, so maybe that's why it didn't quite seem too polished

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This was the bit I was talking about above.

(The reference is revealed right at the end of the episode by the way)

I liked the episode, but the hip hop did feel a bit forced. It felt a bit like they listened to that Nas track (which is excellent, but still) and thought "Ah that line would be a good title for an episode" and almost wrote the episode completely around that.

I noticed that Robin Wright directed the episode, and as far as I can see she's a very inexperienced director, so maybe that's why it didn't quite seem too polished

I think there is a marked difference in quality between the Bateman directed episodes and Wright, both very good mind

The weirdest thing about it for me is that I don't actually think that song fits the content of the episode 

They got it that Ruth listens to hard-core gangster rap and that it's old rap and a classic but I'm not sure if that adds anything of value to her character 

So then the content of the lyrics... They don't fit, it's not a song about revenge or being on the edge or anything like that it's just a song about his life in New York, drugs and shootings but very different to what Ozark is about 

So it's weird that they did it anyway but then it doubles down on the weirdness by picking that song 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The weirdest thing about it for me is that I don't actually think that song fits the content of the episode 

They got it that Ruth listens to hard-core gangster rap and that it's old rap and a classic but I'm not sure if that adds anything of value to her character 

So then the content of the lyrics... They don't fit, it's not a song about revenge or being on the edge or anything like that it's just a song about his life in New York, drugs and shootings but very different to what Ozark is about 

So it's weird that they did it anyway but then it doubles down on the weirdness by picking that song 

Yeah I agree, which is why I feel like the whole episode was written around that lyric rather than the context of the song. Like the whole thing about her drinking loads of coffee is completely invented for that episode

Edited by Stevo985

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Started on the second half of the latest season of Ozark.

Briliant stuff as always, but couldn't help thinking the whole way through the episode I've seen how annoyed @mjmooney would be at all the hip hop in it :) 

(I think I've seen on this thread that you watch it Mike, apologies if not)

I had visions of you being clueless during that scene in the diner near the end

Yes, I posted about it upthread. And yes, I hated the soundtrack. And yes, I had no clue about that diner scene. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a reminder, the other weird thing was the diner scene, made no sense and wasn't needed, I couldn't work out if it was meant to be like a sleepwalking dream type thing but again I don't think they developed the unhinged because of a lack of sleep beyond the lyric, the show in general developed a game of thrones esque just popping up to Chicago thing (it's about a 9 hour drive) if they were trying to say she'd driven through the night and had spent 2 days without sleeping and that played with her mentally they did a really poor job of it

And that was killer Mike from run the jewels if you were interested mooney 😉 

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, I posted about it upthread. And yes, I hated the soundtrack. And yes, I had no clue about that diner scene. 

To be fair even if you like hip hop, that diner scene was still a bit of a stretch. The lyrics at the very end of the episode reveal it but it's still quite hard to catch it if you're not ready for it

On 18/05/2022 at 09:06, ferguson1 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post or if I can call it a “good” TV drama but did anyone watch Floodlights (BBC2) last night?

Pretty gut-wrenching to be honest and at times an uncomfortable watch. Just shouldn’t have been allowed to happen.

It was a running joke to the coaching staff at Man City. 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And that was killer Mike from run the jewels if you were interested mooney

Never heard of him/them/it. 

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Derry Girls ended last night. Superb episode, really nailed the end to an up and down final series. 

Have got the whole 3rd series lined up to watch over a couple of nights. 

• Like 1

Â