Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Just watched an episode of Bull.

The main character is unlikable, hugely arrogant and uses shitty pseudoscience with massive leaps of logic. I was not at all surprised to see it's based on and co-created by Dr Phil.

In more positive watching news, I started Succession a few days ago after seeing a recommendation or two on here and am absolutely loving it.

I loved the first two seasons of Dark. But I’m now half way through season 3 and 

Spoiler

so far, I think it’s tying itself (and me!) in knots. I know it’s always been challenging but I think I was following it well in that I knew who’s who and where and how they’re related.

I’d hoped this season would clarify characters’ motivations beyond a vague prevent/cause the apocalypse but adding new/alternate characters has pushed things to the point of convoluted IMO.

Alternate world characters seem responsible for setting events in motion and there’s more than a hint of deus ex machina to it at this point that’s threatening to undermine the whole show.

There’s a hell of a lot to fit into the four remaining episodes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The sinner season 3 has tweaked the why done it element and its completely ruined itself, its a bit pretentious and boring 

Half way through season 3,  I still like it but it doesn't know what it wants to be a sometimes,  if that makes sense ?

• Like 1

On 28/06/2020 at 21:15, mjmooney said:

I love Dark. Trouble is, we watched S1 and S2 about a year ago. It was hard enough to follow then, but picking up S3 now, and we're totally lost. 

I usually go on YouTube when this happens and search for a recap of the previous season of whatever show it is.

There's usually some pretty good recaps out there. Like 10 minutes long but recap the whole season for you so you can pick up the new series. 

Was a lifesaver for Ozark for me as I couldn't remember anything

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I finished the first season of Stranger Things last night. 
Every cast member was great to watch, great acting from young and old alike. Loved it. 
Liked the homages to other films, really puts a nice top on it. 
Season 2 beckons, really hope it maintains the quality. 

Personally it drops slightly, struggles with what it wants to be, introduces new characters that don't really work, is slow and long and has a real dud of an episode thrown in there, whereas series 1 was a 9/10 series 2 is maybe a 7

Fortunately season 3 again changes what it wants to be but really works and is excellent, the characters introduced in 2 and a couple more new ones start to work and they get a better grasp of the ensemble and it goes back up one of the best things on tv

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I usually go on YouTube when this happens and search for a recap of the previous season of whatever show it is.

There's usually some pretty good recaps out there. Like 10 minutes long but recap the whole season for you so you can pick up the new series. 

Was a lifesaver for Ozark for me as I couldn't remember anything

Yeah, we had that problem with Ozark S3 at first, but most of it came back quite quickly. Dark is another level though, being a time travel mindf*ck of the most tangled sort. There was a recap at the start of S3, but it couldn't do more than scratch the surface. I envy people who are starting the whole thing now, and can watch straight through without a gap. I'll have a look on YT though, thanks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, we had that problem with Ozark S3 at first, but most of it came back quite quickly. Dark is another level though, being a time travel mindf*ck of the most tangled sort. There was a recap at the start of S3, but it couldn't do more than scratch the surface. I envy people who are starting the whole thing now, and can watch straight through without a gap. I'll have a look on YT though, thanks. 

I only saw Season 1 of Dark and can't even comprehend how hard it must be to get back into :D 

Good luck!

I find many sci-fi and fantasy TV series conclude in an unsatisfactory manner. They often end with a plot hole(s) that make no sense, drag on until you don’t care leading to a ‘meh’ ending, or frustrate with more questions than answers.

If Dark was American made I probably would have switched off after the 10th ‘Goddammit!’ exclamation (Jack Bauer’s ‘24’ to blame for that), excessive moody-mumbling or annoying ‘sun flare’ cinematography. Fortunately the German team did a great job and I thought Dark was well made and acted.

What a fantastic change that Dark managed to avoid the stereotypical sci-fi pitfalls during it’s moving conclusion.

It loses 1 point for being challenging to follow at times but gains a point back for being refreshingly different and concluding in a clean and satisfactory way. 9/10.

16 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Astronomer bloke,  works down the LHC now I think  ?

Things certainly did not only get better for a number of his victims 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I envy people who are starting the whole thing now, and can watch straight through without a gap. I'll have a look on YT though, thanks. 

I am thinking of watching it actually,  heard good things and the trailer looks nice. 

Back to the Future was one of the great films for me personally.

Watching Sinner currently but I will see (We will see☺️)after that.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am thinking of watching it actually,  heard good things and the trailer looks nice. 

Back to the Future was one of the great films for me personally.

'Dark' is far more, er... dark than BTTF. Although it does conform to the rule that when there is a titanic struggle for control of spacetime between good and evil timelords, it will always involve a bunch of gormless teenagers. 

• Haha 1

Finished Dark. 

Meh. They **** it IMO. 

Not really spoiler-y but just in case:

Spoiler

There were a handful of powerful moments but it became convoluted to the point where even when I thought I was following what was going then I couldn’t understand why certain characters did certain things. The introduction of the alternate world was a misstep IMO.

Last episode was particularly poor. I mentioned in a previous post that there was a hint of deus ex machina to this season. Well there was a great big lump of it in the final episode. I’m not sure that the plot would hold together under much scrutiny.

Pretty gutted tbh as I thought the first two seasons were great and I’d read that they had it all mapped out from the beginning.

Seems to be getting good reviews, though so maybe it’s just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I thought it was shit.

Finished it last night, I would say the same, seems almost like they don't know what made the 1st season so good and made a bland boring story that I honestly didn't give a shit about

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Finished it last night, I would say the same, seems almost like they don't know what made the 1st season so good and made a bland boring story that I honestly didn't give a shit about

Absolutely, the bit with the psychic at the party particularly was a load of bollocks.  It's a shame because I quite like Bill Pullman in it.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 11:03, wilko154 said:

Question for you all.

I've started The Soprano's, currently watched the first two episodes.

When does it get good?

Am I missing something so far? The reviews are so hyped but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Do I push through a few more episodes or do I give up on it?

Just an update for anyone who hasn't watched The Soprano's.

I've only been watching an episode a day due to work/football.

Currently on episode 6 and I'm growing into it. I wouldn't yet say I can see what the hype was about but it's getting there slowly.

• Thanks 1

Â