Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

A lot of TV series these days outdo, or stake a place to sit alongside as an equal, films. There are things you just couldn't do as a film, even a series of films. Game of Thrones for example, has such a scale and depth to it that attempting to make a film of it would be an exercise in futility.

Well Mike, at the moment the best thing on TV IMO is Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, where he sorts out failing American restaurants. Great TV.

A lot of TV series these days outdo, or stake a place to sit alongside as an equal, films. There are things you just couldn't do as a film, even a series of films. Game of Thrones for example, has such a scale and depth to it that attempting to make a film of it would be an exercise in futility.

This.

For me, you can't separate books, film and TV.

A great Book might be better than a great Film or TV series. But a Great Film is better than a run of the mill book.

I know what you mean. Two of my favourite "films" are actually TV series - Band of Brothers and Lonesome Dove.

But they are the exceptions that prove the rule - I really only watched them because I am particularly interested in (a) westerns and (B) WWII, and I had read (and enjoyed) both books first.

My daughter's been on at me to watch both Lost and Breaking Bad, so I looked into the synopsis of each and decided that - brilliantly made though they probably are - they just don't warrant my time.

Basically, Ivan is correct.

Not that I know anything about you, but I would hazard a guess that you probably wouldn't like Lost too much. Breaking Bad however is absolutely superb and it's not, as you say, a waste of time. If that were true then all forms of entertainment would be a waste of time. Watch Dexter as well, just a couple of episodes and see what you think.

My daughter's been on at me to watch both Lost and Breaking Bad, so I looked into the synopsis of each and decided that - brilliantly made though they probably are - they just don't warrant my time.

The synopsis of Breaking Bad in no way tells you about the brilliance of the show. You might as well compare a short synopsis of Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn with the book itself. No synopsis could begin to do it justice.

I know what Mike means though, when you don't get what the rest of the sane planet gets. It's just not happening and that's all there is to it.
It's not so much that I don't 'get' it - I do, really. I can see why people enjoy these programmes, and I'm not denying that I would probably enjoy at least some of them too.

It's just that they don't fit in with my viewing habits - I'm not willing to commit time to watching that much TV. Hence I tend to prefer one-off programmes, preferably factual stuff. BBC4 is my favourite channel by a country mile.

But it seems I'm alone in this as far as this thread goes - it may as well be titled "Anyone watching a good HBO miniseries or American sitcom?"

Which is why I said I don't know why I bother reading it!

To be fair, a TV "show" to me suggests a TV series, not a one of programme.

I know that isn't the definition of a show, but in the case of TV that's how it's used.

You wouldn't say "Did you see that TV show last night?" when talking about a documentary. But you might say "Do you watch that TV show?" when talking about a TV series.

Which may be why one of programmes aren't often mentioned in here

I know that isn't the definition of a show, but in the case of TV that's how it's used.

You wouldn't say "Did you see that TV show last night?" when talking about a documentary. But you might say "Do you watch that TV show?" when talking about a TV series.

Fair enough. I'll just put my slippers on and shuffle back to Downton Abbey, Gardners' World and The Antiques Roadshow. [1]

[1] I do actually watch all three - but only because the missus loves them.

Seriously Mike just walk out the room. Gardners' World, I get that, The Antiques Road Show, yep I get that too. But Downton Abbey! I think I would rather read 'Being Jordan' by Katie Price whilst having her narrate on each chapter.

The synopsis of Breaking Bad in no way tells you about the brilliance of the show. You might as well compare a short synopsis of Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn with the book itself. No synopsis could begin to do it justice.

Agreed. Breaking Bad is up there only with The Wire as one of the best bits of television I have seen in the past 20 years. The synopsis can be seen as a bit "meh" when you think about it. Man takes ill, turns to a live of crime, he doesnt realise what he has let himself in for until it all spirals horribly out of control. Its not really about that though, the great thing about Breaking Bad is the moment to moment stuff. How the show manages to be both incredibly dark and incredibly light hearted at the same time is worth the admission fee alone.

Fair enough. I'll just put my slippers on and shuffle back to Downton Abbey, Gardners' World and The Antiques Roadshow. [1]

[1] I do actually watch all three - but only because the missus loves them.

I must admit antiques roadshow is a secret guilty pleasure of mine.

That and Jersey Shore.

You should try Jersey Shore, Mike. You'd love it ;)

It's all kicking off on QT between Aaronovitch and GG.

top quality hot air

I've got a cup of tea, ginger biscuits, all set for the show.

A fair point on Aaronovitch, from communist to being in Murdoch's employ.

Â