Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Is it true that MON, in his 4 years so far at Villa, has not signed even a single player who wasn't already playing in Britain (I'm not sure, but I can't think of any)? If so, has he ever offered an explanation for what seems, on the surface at least, to be a strangely limiting approach.

Well Carew hadn't but he was offered to him.

Sallifu...

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that MON, in his 4 years so far at Villa, has not signed even a single player who wasn't already playing in Britain (I'm not sure, but I can't think of any)? If so, has he ever offered an explanation for what seems, on the surface at least, to be a strangely limiting approach.

Guzan, Carew, Salifou!

Carew. Although it was Lyon who came to us offering to take Baros from us and in exchange they gave us Carew. That counts just about, though without Lyon's interest I severely doubt we would have signed him.

He bangs on about a British spine - which is all well and good, except he confuses spine with entire squad.

He also bought a random Togolese playing from a 2nd division swiss side, for whatever reason. Maybe to say " hey look, I bought a foreigner and he's crap so I'm not doing that again."*

* note I don't genuinely believe that, but sometimes the evidence can't stop a bit of sarcasm escaping.

I think it's fairly sensible. He just gets proven players in this league that he knows will start performing right away. It seems to be working, anyway.

What is it with Villa myths and people trying to keep them alive. This "MON didn't sign Carew, he was offered him", thing is getting a bit old now, given it's false.

Our youngsters and reserves have consistently outperformed their peers

true but most of them haven't made the step up and stayed there have they .. Gabby is the only one at present isn't he ? .. and from the forums a lot of people think he shouldn't be in our team ( I rate him for what it's worth)

we've not yet produced a Player along the lines of West Ham who churned out a whole production line for example

Let's not forget that in the last years of Doug, we did produce a whole squad of youth players. They just turned out to be cack but did get us a few million quid when we sold them. However, this bunch of kids are much better IMO with more behind them ready to come through also.

im glad to hear we are now concentrating on smaller market of players. well thats assuming the market we are looking at is of players who are of the next step up in quality from what we already have.

considering we already have some very good players at the club, i only think you would need to add in a few top players to make a massive difference. its unrealistic to expect us to totally overhaul the team again, and do it with expensive marquee signings.

i dont think theres any point in buying to bulk up the squad now, we are not in a posistion to get quality to come and be squad filler. all we would end up with is more players like beye which would be a waste of money.

so we might as well give the youngsters a go, and to be honest they could probably come in and do a better job than the likes of sidwell, beye etc. and i think everybody would already rather play delfouneso instead of heskey.

so im happy to hear they are going to be given a chance

I'm still trying to understand why Palacios was raised as the sort of player O'Neill could land if only he shopped abroad, I mean, Wigan still is part of England isn't it? There hasn't been some creation of a break away state has there, I know Dave Whelan likes naming things after himself but Whelanland is surely a step too far even for a man with an ego like his.

wth

where on earth do you think wigan signed the bloke from?

:lol:

i wasnt on about spurs' signing of him

Palacios was 15million plus!

not for wigan he wasnt

berbs was 10 odd millon and sold for 3 times as much

modric was a quality player who cost 3m more than downing

yep. Unfortunately our policy of buying British can only get you so far, as the decent players go for high prices usually, and you end up paying inflated fee's..

The technical / creative / possesion based side of our game needs major work. Unfortuantely this is where foreign players tend to excel.

Im not asking for blockbuster 20 million signing. I just wish every now and then we'd take a punt on a talent abroad that gives us something different. Lots of tidy players in the £7-12 million mark, which is what we are spending on the likes of Downing...

I guess we just arent going to see it, and MON has more than earnt our trust and we have to back the guys decisions. I just think he is making the next step much harder than it could be...

its re-assuring to hear with are in strongly for Ireland. The one player of true quality that is available, sensibly priced, likely to come and has prem league expierience..

I think Bellamy would come aswell and Id love him here. Gabby, Fonz, Bellamy, and Id be tempted to keep one of Carew / Heskey, although if Weiman is as good as some seem to be saying they im all for taking a gamble on our home grown youth. Im glad to hear some of our youngsters will step up, Albrington and Fonz look ready to me and they need to be thrown in sooner or later. Very hopefull on these two....

Im surprised there have been no exits yet. With Reo, Sidwell, Beye, Davies, L Young etc all apparantly looking for exits / for sale, i thought we might have seen one or two leave by now (p.s only one of them id be happy to lose would be Sidwell, and maybe Beye)...

Yes, I'm surprised something hasn't been done too considering Beye has pretty much said that he wants to move on. But I suppose these things take time and aren't as cut and dried as many people seem to think because of certain football manager games.