Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am delighted the kids will be involved. It's daft and stupid MoN won't expand his horizons, but I would much prefer us to use the kids who we all rave on about anyway than bringing in more sidwells etc.

We are operating in a very small market pool of players now and there are very few that fit our bill as we chase anbd compete to finish top 4

this is what happens when youve no scouting network abroad and a manager who appears to be terrified of foreigners. we're at the point where we need a modric, berbatov, palacios (notice a pattern there) from abroad, not an overpriced slightly above average player from the english market

that really really really annoys me tbh

why on earth are we imposing such limitations on ourselves

Why does 'operating in a small market pool' immediately mean we aren't looking abroad? Couldn't it mean we're looking at a calibre of players that is small because of the position we are in now, caught between the top level and those that really aren't good enough anymore? That goes across borders.

Besides which, the man himself has said he is now more prepared to look abroad as his spine is as he wants it, from the British Isles.

We are operating in a very small market pool of players now and there are very few that fit our bill as we chase anbd compete to finish top 4

this is what happens when youve no scouting network abroad and a manager who appears to be terrified of foreigners. we're at the point where we need a modric, berbatov, palacios (notice a pattern there) from abroad, not an overpriced slightly above average player from the english market

that really really really annoys me tbh

why on earth are we imposing such limitations on ourselves

I interpreted that as being we have filtered it down to a few players we are interested in, rather than starting out from a small pool of players.

Of course we have a scouting network abroad, it has been said many times.

well then we clearly have a scouting network abroad that isnt good enough, or the manager is dismissing any recommendations

we wont get to the next level without some top class bargains from abroad

well then we clearly have a scouting network abroad that isnt good enough, or the manager is dismissing any recommendations

we wont get to the next level without some top class bargains from abroad

Which top class bargains are you talking about?

Modric - cost more than out record signing

Berbatov - cost 10.5 milllion

Palacios - cost Spurs more than our record signing.

Unless you consider those prices bargains as they are very good players.

Our youngsters and reserves have consistently outperformed their peers - so I think it would be stupid to cast them asside to purchase

expensive famous names.

I for one will be looking forward to seeing more of the likes of Albrighton, Delfouneso, Weimann et al.. after all this lot won the 1st team

the only piece of silverware we successfully acheived last season.

I'm still trying to understand why Palacios was raised as the sort of player O'Neill could land if only he shopped abroad, I mean, Wigan still is part of England isn't it? There hasn't been some creation of a break away state has there, I know Dave Whelan likes naming things after himself but Whelanland is surely a step too far even for a man with an ego like his.

I'm still trying to understand why Palacios was raised as the sort of player O'Neill could land if only he shopped abroad, I mean, Wigan still is part of England isn't it? There hasn't been some creation of a break away state has there, I know Dave Whelan likes naming things after himself but Whelanland is surely a step too far even for a man with an ego like his.

Well, I think the point is that MON would never have even thought about getting a Palacios, or Rodallega etc. before they were in the UK, and their prices skyrocketed.

Well, I think the point is that MON would never have even thought about getting a Palacios, or Rodallega etc. before they were in the UK, and their prices skyrocketed.

Well I think the smaller clubs take more risks on players like that, and the "bigger" clubs come in and take them away. Which is a win-win for both parties.

Is it true that MON, in his 4 years so far at Villa, has not signed even a single player who wasn't already playing in Britain (I'm not sure, but I can't think of any)? If so, has he ever offered an explanation for what seems, on the surface at least, to be a strangely limiting approach.