Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Randy expected to be at the match this evening? (sorry if its OT just interested) i presume milner's future will be sorted out finally if randy is coming over..here's hoping anyway.

They're supposed to be having a heart to heart today

Is Randy expected to be at the match this evening? (sorry if its OT just interested) i presume milner's future will be sorted out finally if randy is coming over..here's hoping anyway.

I don't understand why Randy's presence in the country makes a difference. Chances are he has a mobile.

SO!! Now things are at last starting to take shape, maybe it's time for a fresh look at the transfer situation.

At the time of writing MON has just confirmed Milner will be gone in a couple of days most likely & it appears the deal is Stephen Ireland + 16m or so up front with some added extras possibly taking it up to around 18-20m. Not a bad deal me thinks really & if anyone can get SI back to his excellent best then surely it has to be O'Neill?

Also it is a certainty, barring a problem at the medical, that Shorey is off to the Baggies for 3m & It seems highly likely that Luke Young will be off to Fulham for a similar amount?

So with Bouma's release that is 3 mainline squad players gone for 6m & a key player for around 17.5m inc add ons totaling 23.5m at Martins disposal.

Possibly even more important however is the gap created in the wage bill?

you would guess that most of these guys were on around £30,000 to £45,000 p/w? Maybe somebody can give a more accurate figure?

Add to all this that there was presumably some money avaliable "for the right player" & you would think that MON must have around £30m to play with & that's AFTER in effect buying Stephen Ireland for around 8m-10m?

So i guess now it's all about what calibre of player we can afford from a wages point of view? I mean you would assume that SI must be coming on around £50k p/w? So that means if the wage gap created was say £120k p/w then we have around £70k p/w left? ... Interesting indeed!

General Krulak here:

1. imavillan: I am very sorry you have decided not to renew your season ticket. Although it is obvious that some feel like you do, I think it is instructive that year on year, we are ahead of ticket sales!! So some folks have not given up the ghost. First off, WE have NOT given up!! As I have said many times, Randy is as passionate about the Club as ever...probably moreso. He is in the UK now...has been there far more often this year than ever before. He is DEEP into the Club. You are correct about one thing...this is a business. To continue to sink more money into the Club wage bill without moving some people along just doesn't make sense. You say to discount the youth...I say that is near sighted. We have, perhaps, the strongest youth program in the Premiership and the some of those players are ready to make an impact today...not tomorrow. You look at some of those lads who played last night and add them to some of the folks we already have and I think it is a strong squad right now. James Milner is a superb player...Barry was a solid player...and yes, Barry left and Milner may well go. Let's see what happens in that case...will it just be $$$ or will there be another talented player to step in along with the money. My point is that you have not renewed your ST and you aren't even sure of what will happen this season. Last year, after the first game, everyone was ready to hang it up. As it turned out, there were some real highpoints to the season. Sell to buy is NOT a bad thing...particularly if the wage bill doesn't make sense with revenue. Take a look at the squad roster...total squad...and tell me you think it is a bad idea.

2. MON is still deeply involved in transfers. And Mrs "K" is a center midfielder...great pace, nose for the goal, and powerful with both left and right foot.

Mrs "K" ?

We are signing Kaka ! :D

will it just be $$$ or will there be another talented player to step in along with the money

Interesting. All signs point to Ireland at the moment. I hope that is the case and not someone like SWP.

General Krulak here:

1. imavillan: I am very sorry you have decided not to renew your season ticket. Although it is obvious that some feel like you do, I think it is instructive that year on year, we are ahead of ticket sales!! So some folks have not given up the ghost. First off, WE have NOT given up!! As I have said many times, Randy is as passionate about the Club as ever...probably moreso. He is in the UK now...has been there far more often this year than ever before. He is DEEP into the Club. You are correct about one thing...this is a business. To continue to sink more money into the Club wage bill without moving some people along just doesn't make sense. You say to discount the youth...I say that is near sighted. We have, perhaps, the strongest youth program in the Premiership and the some of those players are ready to make an impact today...not tomorrow. You look at some of those lads who played last night and add them to some of the folks we already have and I think it is a strong squad right now. James Milner is a superb player...Barry was a solid player...and yes, Barry left and Milner may well go. Let's see what happens in that case...will it just be $$$ or will there be another talented player to step in along with the money. My point is that you have not renewed your ST and you aren't even sure of what will happen this season. Last year, after the first game, everyone was ready to hang it up. As it turned out, there were some real highpoints to the season. Sell to buy is NOT a bad thing...particularly if the wage bill doesn't make sense with revenue. Take a look at the squad roster...total squad...and tell me you think it is a bad idea.

2. MON is still deeply involved in transfers. And Mrs "K" is a center midfielder...great pace, nose for the goal, and powerful with both left and right foot.

Mrs "K" ?

We are signing Kaka ! :D

Well the pace part rules out Dietmar Hamann.

We do need to shift some players, Shorey, Salifou, maybe Beye (or Young?). A) because you cannot just keep buying better quality, without dropping off some which are less so and B) we have some amazing young players coming through who can take the place of those mentioned and C) we'll be making more signings, think of it as 10 in a bed but with better coming in at the top, making the less quality ones roll over and fall out.

I wonder if Lichaj has done enough pre season to become our '3rd' RB behind Cuellar and Beye? (Luke Young will be gone. )

There's still a lack of depth for LB though, with Shorey off to the Boggies and Bouma being released. Lowry has hardly featured this preseason so don't think he'll be risked as our '2nd' LB behind Warnock.

So that means if the wage gap created was say £120k p/w then we have around £70k p/w left? ... Interesting indeed!

Even if your figures are right, I don't think that means we have 70K a week to splash out on wages. One thing I have learned this window is that our wage bill appears to be far too high in relation to turnover.

Milner out Ireland in doesn't mean we have money to spend on another signing, unless and until we move someone else off the books (Shorey looks a good bet, let's hope there are more).

I reckon with Milner going, Ireland will be paid JM's improved contract offer - therefore we're in exactly the same position.

The sales of Young (L!) and Shorey will free up around £70k a week (rough guess £30k for NS and £40k for Young) and hopefully made more with the sales of Sidwell and (please please please Heskey!)

I reckon with Milner going, Ireland will be paid JM's improved contract offer - therefore we're in exactly the same position.

Sounds about right, so I reckon that means if we are going to trim the wage bill, we need to shift TWO more players out before we can think about getting anyone else in. Maybe even three if we want someone decent (Keane wouldn't come cheap, wages wise).

Heskey ain't going lads... who would want him?

Would be quite please if we got rid of Sidwell though. Hopefully that would mean more opportunity for Delph, Albrighton and Reo-Coker.

If we had another £100k available for wages, how much would Keane take up? I reckon he'd want £50-60k, meaning £40-50k for a backup left back and possibly another young midfielder

Heskey ain't going lads... who would want him?

Would be quite please if we got rid of Sidwell though. Hopefully that would mean more opportunity for Delph, Albrighton and Reo-Coker.

If we had another £100k available for wages, how much would Keane take up? I reckon he'd want £50-60k, meaning £40-50k for a backup left back and possibly another young midfielder

or Huntelaar. The money made from the Tapas sales on Friday night making up the shortfall.