Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Do managers have 100% of the say when it comes to who they sign? It doesn't in business, which at the end of the day, football club are.

Man City is a perfect example, although an extreme one, for the above.

Another example can be Cristian Poulsen. Hodgsen is getting him after years of Benitez wanting him. Seems strange that two managers want the exact same player, while the board is still the same, and there the ones that are paying the fees and wages.

I'm still a firm believer that the manager managers the team and the players that he has infront of him and doesn't have as much influence that we all thing they have when it comes to transfers.

Think Ireland will be one signing that the majority of the fans want to come, and looks like it will happen, hopefully be introduced infront of the crowd on Saturday, or maybe in the squad.

The new man will hopefully, like Curtis Davies has said, start from the beginning giving every player in the squad a chance to prove their worth, and the players that are not, get sold to lower the wage bill and hopefully have some sort of money to reinvest back in to some players that will actually help the squad.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just like every current player.. the new manager will consider Ireland an existing player he has to work with.

I dont see a problem with that. Maybe he will interview managers and question whether they rate Ireland or he may already have done so.

Maybe the deal was actually done and dusted before MON left. Who knows.

Most fans want him here so who cares why.

Had the Ireland been a stand alone deal I doubt it would go through without a manager present. As it is tied in with the Milner deal then it either has to go through now or the whole Milner deal is also off and it sounds like the deal has realistically gone to far for that to happen.

Had the Ireland been a stand alone deal I doubt it would go through without a manager present. As it is tied in with the Milner deal then it either has to go through now or the whole Milner deal is also off and it sounds like the deal has realistically gone to far for that to happen.

Yes, it sounds like Ireland coming is crutial to the deal as Man City will not give us straight cash for Milner.

If Ireland is impressed with the club (and why not) then he'll most likely accept we're going to appoint a decent manager and move on.

All that has changed is that MON isnt there any more. For all we know he might see that as a bonus, who knows?

I also think any manager we're likely to get will be glad he's with us.

Mancini will probably tell Ireland "Ok, you can stay if you want and we'll just pay straight cash for Milner. But you won't be in the 25-man squad. So you will not be able to play for us. Do yourself a favour. Move to Villa."

I'll post this here as well:

James Milner's protracted transfer from Aston Villa to Manchester City is finally set to go through on Thursday after the two clubs agreed a package worth about £26m.

Stephen Ireland – whose agent today held talks with the Villa chief executive, Paul Faulkner – will sign for Villa as part of the deal, providing he reaches a settlement with City over the remainder of his contract. Discussions will take place between Ireland's representative and City's hierarchy tomorrow morning.

Ireland has been valued at £10m, meaning that Villa will receive a further £16m in cash in addition to the former Republic of Ireland midfielder. Should Ireland pull out of the transfer – there is no indication that is likely to happen at the moment despite Martin O'Neill's resignation yesterday – Milner will move to Eastlands in a straight cash deal. Both players have been pencilled in for medicals at their respective new clubs on Thursday and could make their debuts at the weekend.

The latest development will come as a relief to all parties involved. The Guardian revealed City's interest in Milner almost four months ago but negotiations between the two clubs have dragged on. City tabled a £20m bid in May that was flatly rejected, with Villa holding out for closer to £30m for a player who cost £12m two years ago. In the end Villa agreed to lower their demands although many of the club's supporters will feel pleased by the final outcome.

Ireland's inclusion as a makeweight in the transfer was thrown into doubt when O'Neill unexpectedly quit, but the talks that had been agreed before that development went ahead as planned. The 23-year-old, who was voted City's player of the year at the end of the 2008-09 season, appears to have accepted that he has no future with Roberto Mancini in charge. Having signed a lucrative five-year contract with City little more than 12 months ago, he will hope to negotiate a sizeable settlement.

Few City fans saying he hasn't knocked us today, which is excellent news. He'll get a decent pay off City tomorrow to ensure the Milner saga is put to an end once and for all.

I suspect I might be the only person that thinks 16m and Ireland is a shit deal. He doesn't have the consistency alone to replace Milner. So we will need to spend that 16m on another midfielder aswell, just to put us back to where we were last season. And then if thats the only money we'll be using, we also need a new left back. Just to keep us on par with last season.

Then whatever's left to improve the team. (and those new players will likely have to be on less wages than the ones we have already.)

I suspect I might be the only person that thinks 16m and Ireland is a shit deal. He doesn't have the consistency alone to replace Milner. So we will need to spend that 16m on another midfielder aswell, just to put us back to where we were last season. And then if thats the only money we'll be using, we also need a new left back. Just to keep us on par with last season.

Then whatever's left to improve the team. (and those new players will likely have to be on less wages than the ones we have already.)

He had consistency during the 08/09 campaign. It's just he had an injury and a new manager who bought loads of his own targets in.

Give him a run of games and a manager who really supports him and we've got one hell of a player on our hands.

Play 3 midfielders who all have different qualities who compliment well. Petrov, Reo-Coker, Ireland.

Luke Young can fill in at LB if needed.

Let Beye, Davies, Sidwell, Heskey go possibly.

Then for me, just bring a central midfielder for little fee who will rotate around with Reo-Coker, Petrov and possibly Ireland's role...still play a fair bit but not guarenteed every game, say O'Hara..

Apart from that, not much would need to be added yet we'd be making money and taking about £120,000 of the wage bill per week.