Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Indeed.

If 6th is long term target lovely. But it isn't for me. We've done well despite the millions and millions O'Neill has wasted on crap and paid through the nose for it. It's just sad that I can see exactly the same thing as the last 2 years happening again. It doesn't really matter what happens up to Feb because we'll collapse because the same players will have been played in every competition for 90 mins plus and will be shattered.

So no, I don't find it amusing that people moan about O'Neill's transfers. I find it depressing that we're happy to just take another season of the same mistakes.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always prefer players to be at the club, in the main, before the season starts so that they can get used to the place and their new team mates, tactics etc before we have kicked a ball. I think, maybe naively , that to join after the season has started makes that settling in period a little more hectic and can detract from their performance

I fully agree with you Richard, but we are not the manager.

For what ever reason he sees it as better to bring them in late, and who are we to argue.

I always prefer players to be at the club, in the main, before the season starts so that they can get used to the place and their new team mates, tactics etc before we have kicked a ball. I think, maybe naively , that to join after the season has started makes that settling in period a little more hectic and can detract from their performance

Players from the scottish league never settle in a few weeks, so Mon knows that it doesn't matter when you buy them! :lol:

Indeed.

If 6th is long term target lovely. But it isn't for me. We've done well despite the millions and millions O'Neill has wasted on crap and paid through the nose for it. It's just sad that I can see exactly the same thing as the last 2 years happening again. It doesn't really matter what happens up to Feb because we'll collapse because the same players will have been played in every competition for 90 mins plus and will be shattered.

So no, I don't find it amusing that people moan about O'Neill's transfers. I find it depressing that we're happy to just take another season of the same mistakes.

Well don't stand for it. Write a strongly worded letter to Randy Lerner himself and a copy of your CV and I'm sure he'd hire you. Either that or take a long hard look at all things Villa and actually understand that he hasn't wasted 'millions and millions' on crap and 6th place in one of the best leagues in the world is actually something to be pretty **** proud of.

Will do. A stern letter will do the trick, see you all in the Champions League soon.

It's not just the last 2 years where our side has got tired, O'Neill's first year had us not winning for a run of something like 10 weeks because the players had not been rotated.

If it was fresh problems that seemed to be doing us in I wouldn't mind. I'd think this is our year to give it a go again. But bearing in mind for the last 2 seasons it has been exactly the same problem that has been our downfall it's very frustrating. O'Neill does things his way, fine, have your approach and stick to it. But it seems to me that for 16th-6th, it works, and it doesn't beyond that.

I think Trent posted something in another thread about the football being a lot worse and I have to agree, from being a really exciting side, we're now a chore to watch and still can't take a quick throw in and pass it around.

We're seeing the same thing that happened with Barry happen with Milner so to be honest it's not a case of "Oh if we keep finishing 6th we're doing well so it's all fine" (not that you've said that) because our better players are going to be harder and harder to keep. If we don't make some progress in terms of league position its not just hanging onto players like Milner and Young that we're going to have to worry about it's going to be getting anyone who is actually capable of helping us take that leap to join us at all. Look how many players City have in their squad! I know they are a weird joke project but still, they have players in their elite squad (ha!) who would seriously challenge our first XI.

Does it not frustrate you that the same things are very very likely to happen this year because O'Neill is taking the same steps as he has done previously?

Adebayor isn't lazy. He's a donkey but he's not lazy. One of those annoying donkeys that knows where the goal is though :angry:

Adebayor isn't lazy. He's a donkey but he's not lazy. One of those annoying donkeys that knows where the goal is though :angry:

He runs when he wants to. He's lazy against the lesser teams IMO. Well when he's not playing against top 4 he's lazy.

Indeed.

100% agree. but you will find many wont. Finishing 6th is great for them. Not only that, theyre happy to watch the most boring football played by a villa side in years.

Anthony Annan would be cheap and he's young, 24 tomorrow. Could be the holding midfielder player MON is looking for since he hates NRC.

If NRC could learn to pass to the closest man once he's won the ball he'd be just as effective as Annan.

Tin hat on.

Indeed.

100% agree. but you will find many wont. Finishing 6th is great for them. Not only that, theyre happy to watch the most boring football played by a villa side in years.

The Feb collapse is nothing got to do with players coming in late. Collins and Dunne both signed late on and performed well throughout the season. MON has some weaknesses but you are trying to shoehorn them all into one big problem. We need a bigger squad with more quality and that is what has been happening, and if we do it again this season then we will have a very good squad indeed. I think you should be happy with this as opposed to whining about when we improve our squad.

Indeed.

Sorry don't get this. Where should we be finishing and please explain why :?

We've challenged top 4 two years running now.

1st time, 08-09 - realistically, chances went middle of March.

2nd time, 09-10 - realistically, chances went end of April when we lost to Man City.

We are doing our best to compete ABOVE ourselves but simply fall short, I'm thankful we are in those positions to start with and at least competing above our standard really.

Indeed.

2nd time, 09-10 - realistically, chances went end of April when we lost to Man City.

We are doing our best to compete ABOVE ourselves but simply fall short, I'm thankful we are in those positions to start with and at least competing above our standard really.

We're not Wigan, we're Aston Villa, there's no way we should be settling for 6th imo we are the 5th most successful club in the history of the english league system. We should be looking to improve like those teams around us are doing such as Man City and Liverpool. Some fans are so negative, it seems like they're happy with Europa League football every season.

No one is settling. However you can't just get 4th or higher because history suggests it you have to earn it and it is very very hard to do and takes time. Three 6th in a row suggests a good base to go onto the next level and buying players in July is not the answer to finishing higher, getting the right players in is. So who cares if the right players sign in August if they do the job.

Indeed.

We're not Wigan, we're Aston Villa, there's no way we should be settling for 6th imo we are the 5th most successful club in the history of the english league system. We should be looking to improve like those teams around us are doing such as Man City and Liverpool. Some fans are so negative, it seems like they're happy with Europa League football every season.

No, it's called being realistic.

We've got a great history!?!?! Whoopeeedy **** do to be honest.

"Oh hey there Silva come to Villa, I mean, we have a better history than Man City and we willgive you £60k a week, what more could you want :)"

"Silva, we will give you £120k a week oh and did I tell you about our plans for the likes of Yaya Toure, Adebayor, Tevez, Toure....want me tell you about what we are planning for the future too?"

"but David......look at our history. HISTORY!!!!!"

get the point?

saying we should be competing like Man City is the sort of unrealistic expectations which make our supporters so negative because it can't be done and when it's not done, people moan.

Am I happy with Europa League football every season!?!? Yes.

Do I want Villa to improve on that and push higher!? Yes.

The club, nor the fans are 'settling' for 6th/7th place but we also are realistic. We should aim high as long as you can accept that when you don't reach it, it's not a bad thing.

finishing below our ability is unsatisfactory, i.e. 8th or below. Finishing in the position which our team is ability wise, 7th....is solid. Finishing above our capabilites, in 6th or 5th for me is a good league campaign. finishing 4th is simply unbelievable given the competition.