Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goal.com

Aston Villa to make £6m swoop for Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey - report

Aston Villa are believed to be readying a £6 million bid to acquire the services of Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey.

The Frenchman put in outstanding performances throughout the course of last season, and has a contract with the Serie A club until 2013.

Meanwhile in England, the Birmingham-based club's first-choice shot-stopper, Brad Friedel, is now 39-years-old, and manager Martin O'Neill is consequently believed to be looking for a successor to the veteran custodian.

Now The Sun reports that Villa are set to test the Italian club's resolve by making a £6m swoop for the 30-year-old Frey.

However, Frey's agent recently maintained that his client will remain at the Stadio Artemio Franchi next season as well.

Goal.com

Aston Villa to make £6m swoop for Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey - report

Aston Villa are believed to be readying a £6 million bid to acquire the services of Fiorentina goalkeeper Sebastien Frey.

The Frenchman put in outstanding performances throughout the course of last season, and has a contract with the Serie A club until 2013.

Meanwhile in England, the Birmingham-based club's first-choice shot-stopper, Brad Friedel, is now 39-years-old, and manager Martin O'Neill is consequently believed to be looking for a successor to the veteran custodian.

Now The Sun reports that Villa are set to test the Italian club's resolve by making a £6m swoop for the 30-year-old Frey.

However, Frey's agent recently maintained that his client will remain at the Stadio Artemio Franchi next season as well.

This would be an awesome signing! Please make this happen!

We can improve our squad with MON type signings and I would be happy with that.

An example:

Out: Heskey, Sidwell, Shorey, Beye, Young

In: Richards, Doyle/Rodallega, Ireland, Parker, LB cover.

That would be a very good window in my opinion for a net spent of around 15-20 million.

I'm finding it hard to believe we could afford all those players.

Some rough guesses:

Out: Heskey £2.5m, Sidwell £4m, Shorey £2m, Beye £1.5m, L Young £4m.

£14m in.

In:

-Richards would cost at least £6m

-Doyle and Rodallega are the best players in their respective teams and Doyle would probably cost around £12m and Rodallega would cost more towards £15m

-Ireland would be a bargain at £12m

-Parker is the best player in the West Ham side, so he wouldn't be cheap. I'd guess they'd ask for at least £10m (probably more).

Randy would have to put forward about £25m-£30m. Unless we're counting the sale of Milner.

I think we'll see 3 signings this summer. A right back, a forward and a midfielder.

He's probably still on the beach somewhere with his trousers rolled up to his knees and a handkerchief on his head.

I bet it's a good solid British beach though.

Non of this fancy foreign nonsense thank you very much

We can improve our squad with MON type signings and I would be happy with that.

An example:

Out: Heskey, Sidwell, Shorey, Beye, Young

In: Richards, Doyle/Rodallega, Ireland, Parker, LB cover.

That would be a very good window in my opinion for a net spent of around 15-20 million.

I'm finding it hard to believe we could afford all those players.

Some rough guesses:

Out: Heskey £2.5m, Sidwell £4m, Shorey £2m, Beye £1.5m, L Young £4m.

£14m in.

In:

-Richards would cost at least £6m

-Doyle and Rodallega are the best players in their respective teams and Doyle would probably cost around £12m and Rodallega would cost more towards £15m

-Ireland would be a bargain at £12m

-Parker is the best player in the West Ham side, so he wouldn't be cheap. I'd guess they'd ask for at least £10m (probably more).

Randy would have to put forward about £25m-£30m. Unless we're counting the sale of Milner.

I think we'll see 3 signings this summer. A right back, a forward and a midfielder.

Putting the money issue aside would you agree that if this happened it would be a good window?

You are right though I made a mistake adding up the prices. In my mind, Richards 7m, Ireland 7m(as he wants out), Doyle/Rod 12m, Parker 8m. That is 34m. So selling about 10m worth Randy would be spending 20-25m.

I do agree it would be a great window, we'd be set for a good few years with only a little bit of tinkering needed in the following windows just to fill any gaps left by the older players.

But I think it's optimistic to think we could get Ireland for £7m. Even if he wants to leave I don't think Man City would drop his price that low.

It would set us up well with young, promising players with premiership experience. My point was that we could still have a great window with only 'MON type' signings. I don't understand peoples need for some foreign, I love a fancy signing as much as the next guy and I would be giddy if we signed someone whose name ended in ...inho but they are not necessarily what we need.

I could well be. I remember some story reporting a fee of £6m but I would put his value around £10m. Quality player.

It would set us up well with young, promising players with premiership experience. My point was that we could still have a great window with only 'MON type' signings. I don't understand peoples need for some foreign, I love a fancy signing as much as the next guy and I would be giddy if we signed someone whose name ended in ...inho but they are not necessarily what we need.

I could well be. I remember some story reporting a fee of £6m but I would put his value around £10m. Quality player.

I think if we consider that we got Ashley Young for £9m. Then Ireland will cost more than that - he's performed at a higher level in the Prem and got their YPOTY last year. I doubt they'd sell him for anything cheaper than £10m.