Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Oh just leave it AVFC.

Listen - dont listen to to me.

Go on any website you like.

Skysports , Evertons, BBC, ITV, Wikipedia

Have a look at his figures.

Whether you agree or not THEY ARE THE FIGURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So just drop it !

In fact here you go (a complete cut and paste, I didnt do it like this originally as , as you will see, it looks confusing, but here it is for you to enjoy)

2002–03 Portsmouth First Division 14 7 - - - 14 7

2003–04 Premier League 36 16 4 1 2 2 - 42 19

2004–05 30 13 2 2 3 2 - 35 17

2005–06 Middlesbrough Premier League 34 13 7 4 2 0 13 2 56 19

2006–07 37 12 8 4 - - 45 16

2007–08 Everton Premier League 31 15 1 0 3 3 6 3 41 21

2008–09 14 4 0 0 1 0 2 1 17 5

2009–10 21 5 0 0 2 1 8 0 29 6

Total England 219 85 22 11 13 8 29 6 277 108

Career Total 213 82 22 11 13 8 29 6 277 108

So it is either 85 LEAGUE goals in 213 appearances in England

or

108 CAREER goals in 277 CAREER appearances

Now please accept it !

I've done some counting for you using the ESPN stats

For Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton he has scored 100 goals in 265 games (or 0.37 goals per game).

Our very own John Carew has scored 48 goals in 120 games (or 0.4 goals per game).

So why spend a bucket-load on a slow, disinterested 30 year old striker who does nothing but score when we have our own slow, disinterested 30 year old striker who does nothing but score? Particularly when the one we currently own has a better scoring record.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh just leave it AVFC.

So just drop it !

In fact here you go (a complete cut and paste, I didnt do it like this originally as , as you will see, it looks confusing, but here it is for you to enjoy)

or

Now please accept it !

I've done some counting for you using the ESPN stats

For Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton he has scored 100 goals in 265 games (or 0.37 goals per game).

Our very own John Carew has scored 48 goals in 120 games (or 0.4 goals per game).

So why spend a bucket-load on a slow, disinterested 30 year old striker who does nothing but score when we have our own slow, disinterested 30 year old striker who does nothing but score? Particularly when the one we currently own has a better scoring record.

1038.jpg

Oh just leave it AVFC.

So just drop it !

or

Now please accept it !

Yes my point was PREMIERSHIP. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PREMIERSHIP IS. HE SCORED 7 GOALS AND HAD 14 APPEARENCES IN THE FIRST DIVISION HENCE WHY I TOOK THAT AWAY FROM THE STATS.

The point was the fact your figures were wrong because to start with you said he's got "so many goals in the premiership" and that wasn't true... :?

Jesus, Do you ever read other comments? or just go on physco typing of lots of bullshit!?

I agree with the two comments above by the way, I'm not Carew's biggest fan as a player but he's just as good as Yakubu and we wouldn't have to waste time and money just to get almost identical swap. :?

In dream land I would have Darren Bent in a heartbeat in our first XI.

Ive been saying this since he was at Charlton.

Hes either done something to upset MoN or MoN doesnt know a goalscorer when he sees one. Either way hes dropped a bollock.

He rates Agbonlahor just as good and believes Delfouneso can be just as good is my bet.

Bent and Agbonlahor or Delfouneso wouldn't play together. I think the thought process is basically, we have Agbonlahor, who is a very good striker, we need someone alongside him first, not someone who will effectively replace him.

Im sorry mate but i think a partnership of Bent and Gabby would put the shits up most teams in the Prem. Could possibly be one of the best partnerships in the league

Hes either done something to upset MoN or MoN doesnt know a goalscorer when he sees one. Either way hes dropped a bollock.

He rates Agbonlahor just as good and believes Delfouneso can be just as good is my bet.

Bent and Agbonlahor or Delfouneso wouldn't play together. I think the thought process is basically, we have Agbonlahor, who is a very good striker, we need someone alongside him first, not someone who will effectively replace him.

Im sorry mate but i think a partnership of Bent and Gabby would put the shits up most teams in the Prem. Could possibly be one of the best partnerships in the league

I just don't see it personally, I think it can look good on paper but don't think it would gel very well. For example, Rooney works better with Heskey than Defoe.

You two get a room. :)

7 in 14 in Championship - Goal every 2 games

75 in 199 Premiership - Goal every 2.7 games

In comparrison games to goal ratio in England

Torres 1.4

Thierry Henry 1.5

Drogba 2.0

Rooney 2.4

Nicholas Anelka 2.7

Gabby 3.4

Heskey 4.7 since he joined Liverpool

So not the best but certainly not bad either; at 27 might be wort a bash if he can stay fit.

I just don't see it personally, I think it can look good on paper but don't think it would gel very well. For example, Rooney works better with Heskey than Defoe.

Thats debateable as Defoe has never been given enough chances at International level to show what he can do. But saying that i see what you mean about Defoe and Rooney as neither of them are particularly good in the air.

I do think we need to get away from this 'big man - little man' mentality alot of supporters (and seemingly MoN) seem to have. Granted, Bent isnt as much of a physical presence as Carew, but he has got strength, hes got pace, makes good runs, can hold it up and can certainly head a ball, basically hes got everything Carew has and then some.

We need a striker who scores goals. Bent is the man IMO.

In comparrison goals per game in England

Torres 1.4

Thierry Henry 1.5

Drogba 2.0

Rooney 2.4

Nicholas Anelka 2.7

Gabby 3.4

Heskey scores 4.7 goals per game?!?! :o

Ive heard it all now :winkold:

Torres 1.4

Thierry Henry 1.5

Drogba 2.0

Rooney 2.4

Nicholas Anelka 2.7

Gabby 3.4

Heskey scores 4.7 goals per game?!?! :o

Ive heard it all now :winkold:

If only *edited.* :oops:

You two get a room. :)

7 in 14 in Championship - Goal every 2 games

75 in 199 Premiership - Goal every 2.7 games

Torres 1.4

Thierry Henry 1.5

Drogba 2.0

Rooney 2.4

Nicholas Anelka 2.7

Gabby 3.4

So not the best but certainly not bad either; at 27 might be wort a bash if he can stay fit.

John Carew 2.7.

So why not just keep him instead?

Thats debateable as Defoe has never been given enough chances at International level to show what he can do. But saying that i see what you mean about Defoe and Rooney as neither of them are particularly good in the air.

I do think we need to get away from this 'big man - little man' mentality alot of supporters (and seemingly MoN) seem to have. Granted, Bent isnt as much of a physical presence as Carew, but he has got strength, hes got pace, makes good runs, can hold it up and can certainly head a ball, basically hes got everything Carew has and then some.

40 England caps not enough?

I don't think we need a big man, just someone who can drop, make clever runs between midfield and defence, thread balls through to Gabby rather than long aimless ball he has to chase. Someone who can keep the ball for us, take up good position and get the ball in dangerous areas. With Bent and Agbonlahor upfront, I think we'd just see the same, dally around in defence and midfield, passing amongst ourselves, run out of ideas, put it wide, put a cross in and hope for the best.

I don't think we need a big man, just someone who can drop, make clever runs between midfield and defence, thread balls through to Gabby rather than long aimless ball he has to chase. Someone who can keep the ball for us, take up good position and get the ball in dangerous areas. With Bent and Agbonlahor upfront, I think we'd just see the same, dally around in defence and midfield, passing amongst ourselves, run out of ideas, put it wide, put a cross in and hope for the best.

totally agree.

We need players that can change our style of play. Players like Keane, Pienaar, Ireland are players that will offer us something different. A plan B when going wide and just hoofing it into the box fails.

We need to change our style of play to break down lesser teams at home.

Players like Yakubu would be downright awful signings.

Im not arguing the fact that we need a midfielder who can do something a bit different, but fat lazy strikers who couldnt score in a blind brothel we could definitely do without.

Oh and Robbie Keane...10 years ago then yeah, maybe. But he is well and truly past it IMO. We would get one half decent season out of him if were lucky.

How many of those England caps of Defoes were 20 minute cameo appearances? or a first half partnered by some other fringe player only to be subbed due to the pair of them not even knowing each others names?

I could count the number of times Defoe has played with Rooney on one thumb

Just saw a couple of reports that says that SHA dogshit FC are one of a number of clubs interested in Robert Pires ?.....my immediate thought was 'wtf....he's 36' but on closer inspection he still made 30 apps (26 in league) for Villareal last season - apparently he's not been offered another deal as they are 'changing their philosophy' (they're skint). Even at 36, could he do a cameo job for us ? If nothing else, some of our younger lads might pick up some of his knowledge just by watching him train ??.....just a thought ?