Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

it entirely depends. It's a tough one, hopefully enough people appreciate the situation and the pragmatism required. You would think "new" politics might incorporate being responsive to the needs of the day. However if it's intransigeant idealism then the Green party are in for a boost next election.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources: Lib Dem-Labour Talks Have Failed

Formal talks between Labour and the Liberal Democrats "never got off the ground", according to Sky sources, as the negotations between Nick Clegg's party and the Conservatives continue

Sky's political editor Adam Boulton said several Labour sources, including some from inside Downing Street, said the talks between the two parties did not get anywhere.

Labour is expected to admit this publicly soon, he added.

The Evening Standard newspaper has reported that Gordon Brown has quit as Prime Minister, but this has not been confirmed.

Talks between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives continued at the Cabinet Office today after it emerged leaders David Cameron and Mr Clegg met for an hour this morning.

Heading into the talks, Tory negotiator and shadow foreign secretary William Hague said: "We want a strong and stable government with a secure majority in the House of Commons and an elected Prime Minister."

A Conservative-Lib Dem alliance had looked the most likely outcome after Labour's share of Commons seats shrank to 258 in a hung parliament after the General Election.

But Mr Brown's announcement that he was to stand aside as leader sparked speculation his party could be able to broker their own pact with the Lib Dems that would allow them to remain in power as a minority government.

Cabinet minister Ed Miliband said Labour had had "good discussions" with Mr Clegg's party this morning.

Another day of talks for Cameron and Clegg

And Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he supported working with the Liberal Democrats.

"As I have said consistently, renewing our politics means changing our electoral system," he said.

"I support working with the Lib Dems to support the economic recovery, to protect frontline public services, and to ensure the British people decide how votes are translated into real political power at Westminster."

However, despite positive noises from the party's top brass, there are rumblings of dissent from backbench Labour MPs.

Former Labour home secretary David Blunkett warned that a "coalition of the defeated" involving Labour and the Lib Dems would lack legitimacy.

He told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme the Lib Dems were behaving "like every harlot in history".

Lord Falconer told Sky News a deal between Labour and the Lib Dems could only be possible if the Tories refused to do a deal with Mr Clegg's party.

He warned that while Labour may be offering to change the electoral system, he is "not sure they can deliver it" in Parliament.

Kate Hoey: we have to accept that labour lost

And Kate Hoey, MP for Vauxhall, told Sky News Labour should be "magnanimous in defeat".

"We have to accept that Labour has lost the election. I can't see a Labour/Lib Dem coalition working," she said.

"Many of the people negotiating on behalf of Labour are not even elected.

"I and many of my colleagues are not in favour of proportional representation."

Junior schools minister Diana Johnson said she did not think a Labour-Lib Dem agreement would command sufficient MPs.

"It's just on arithmetic - if you look at the figures and what the Liberal Democrats would bring and various other parties would bring, I just don't think the numbers stack up," she said.

Labour MP for Batley and Spen Mike Wood is the latest politician to enter the debate, writing on his website that the Conservatives should form the government.

"In my view David Cameron should be Prime Minister and for him not to be flies in the face of natural justice - his party is the largest and won the most seats," he said.

Earlier, Mr Cameron told Mr Clegg it was "decision time" and appealed to the Lib Dem leader to make "the right decision".

Hours later the Tory leader told reporters: "I'm just in the dark, like all of you."

Mr Clegg said he was "as impatient as anyone else" to resolve the political impasse and said he hoped to make an announcement "as quickly as we possibly can".

As Mr Cameron emerged from his London home, he said: "I've made a very full, very open, very reasonable offer to the Liberal Democrats to deliver that stable government.

"My own Members of Parliament have shown that they are prepared to put aside party interest in the national interest by agreeing a referendum on the Alternative Vote.

"It's now, I believe, decision time - decision time for the Liberal Democrats - and I hope they make the right decision to give this country the strong, stable government that it badly needs and it badly needs quickly."

Minutes afterwards, the Liberal Democrat leader refused to say whether an announcement on his plans for coalition would be made today.

He said: "The discussions between the political parties have now reached a critical and final phase. I'm as impatient as anybody else to get on with this, to resolve matters one way or another."

As he left his home, he added: "I am certainly hopeful of getting a resolution as soon as possible."

Labour are offering the Lib Dems political reform, with a guarantee to introduce a new voting system as well as a possible future referendum on proportional representation - a key Lib Dem demand.

They are also suggesting a full coalition with Cabinet seats, as well as a broad agreement on deficit reduction.

The Conservatives are offering a referendum on the Alternative Vote (AV) system, which will also be enticing for the Lib Dems, in exchange for putting Mr Cameron in 10 Downing Street.

The Conservatives are also offering Cabinet seats, as well as an agreement on schools, the environment and possibly even taxation - but will only offer a referendum on the Alternative Vote.

Under the AV system, voters rate candidates in a single-member constituency in numerical order and votes are redistributed until one candidate has more than 50% support.

But Liberal Democrats do not regard it as proportional, preferring the Single Transferable Vote system, which would produce a result in line with the proportion of votes cast for each party.

Its over labour: good riddance

The Daily Telegraph's Benedict Brogan says Lib Dem Vince Cable "was seen this afternoon in the Treasury holding meetings with private office people"

Much prefer him than Osborne...

****, I'd have Kerry Catona as Chancellor before Osborne.

The Daily Telegraph's Benedict Brogan says Lib Dem Vince Cable "was seen this afternoon in the Treasury holding meetings with private office people"

Much prefer him than Osborne...

****, I'd have Kerry Catona as Chancellor before Osborne.

Yes the UK may yet have dodged that bullet.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than the Tories pulling off a deal with the Libs, and watching the dejected faces of Labour supporters.
I'm a Labour supporter, it doesn't bother me who's in now. I think the dejection will be on your face when the coalition breaks down because they have differing views and ideas. Labour will rebuild during this period of time.

To be honest I am a supporter of the nation. I want whats best for the nation. I guess I may be in the minority.

Not in the minority Paul. I want the same

which is the highest profile footy team with gold/yellow and blue colours? I can't think of any.
Sweden.

what about Boca Juniors?

jeez I am struggling to think of any teams other than sweden with yellow and blue home colours.

Mansfield town?

1644: There will be a joint meeting of the Liberal Democrat parliamentary party and ruling federal executive at 1930 BST tonight. According to the Lib Dem rule book, at least three-quarters of the members of both bodies must give Nick Clegg their backing before he can agree to a deal with the Tories.

1648: The editor of the Spectator magazine, Fraser Nelson, tweets: Senior Tories say most likely outcome is minority government, with Lib Dems in a confidence-and-supply deal.

If you ignore the small amounts of green - Brazil!

well it will count bicks if they get Caroline Lucas on board, but unsure that would happen.

I searched on the net and I cannot find on single site that shows you clubs by their colours (i.e. every team with red and blue shirts). obviously a niche, but would help me satisfy my urge to find clubs with yellow and blue shirts.

would be a good way of giving a visual acceptance of the alliance, all wearing Boca Juniors shirts!

If you ignore the small amounts of green - Brazil!

well it will count bicks if they get Caroline Lucas on board, but unsure that would happen.

I searched on the net and I cannot find on single site that shows you clubs by their colours (i.e. every team with red and blue shirts). obviously a niche, but would help me satisfy my urge to find clubs with yellow and blue shirts.

would be a good way of giving a visual acceptance of the alliance, all wearing Boca Juniors shirts!

Web_STFC_KITS.jpg

MASSIVE.

Four years seems along time for them to co-exist.

I still can't see Liberals sitting in cabinet with the Tories, so just a 'broad agreement'

The first sign of trouble will see a Lib/Lab no-confidence vote and a general election.

My money's on October 2011

Interesting thing is that the three main peopl leading on this from labour are all unelected

Campbell

Mandleson

Adonis

That has not gone down well with the parliamentary party

Only just come home to se todays events, its all a bit daft really, hope it works but can't see how two diametrically opposed parties can sustain a coalition is yet to be seen, hope they can pull it off.

They do have some areas of common ground that I agree with (if they are true to their word) and that is removing the heinous erosion of civil liberties the Labour Party got away with but I suspect absolutely nothing will get reversed, they just won't continue with the bankrupt ID card idea (simply because they can't afford it)

but its more how the Lib Dem Mp's and members react when they have to approve Trident thats more the worry for this alliance I should imagine, there are just some things that go completely against the grain.

As a side issue, as I've never really followed Lib Dem internal structures and procedures, how does the Leader of the Lib Dems get elected and can anyone challenge him etc?

Interesting thing is that the three main peopl leading on this from labour are all unelected

Campbell

Mandleson

Adonis

to be fair I don't think any of them give a shit about that, but happy for that to happen because Labour is going to internally combust unless they talk to their party pretty sharpish.

Campbell

Mandleson

Adonis

Agreed Richard,

Got this from the BBC website

1700: "In the last two days the Conservative party has had two meetings, the Lib Dems three and continuous email contact. Labour has had none," writes disgruntled-sounding Labour MP Austin Mitchell, on his blog. "We are to have one Wednesday 2.30pm by which time it will probably be all over. No need to consult us when all the decisions can be taken by Mandy and Campbell. They know things so much better than the peasants and workers."