Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

So for those of you that didn't vote, I presume you won't moan or critic the new government as you gave up your chance to affect the outcome?

Do you presume that or do you, like many people before and, probably, to come, suggest the same old nonsense that those who did not vote don't have a right to criticize their government?

Well I dont see how you can stand and moan about something you had your chance to change but gave up the right to do so.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With PR you would get what we have witnessed in the last 5 days at EVERY election. If there is a referendum then I think the arguments against PR (in any form) are actually being written as we speak

I hope we can get this sorted out asap so we don’t have to hear from Tarzan or Windbag anymore

:angry:

10954498.jpg

I actually own this vinyl picture disc. That's how highly i rate this guy.

My inspiration to study politics. :notworthy:

The Conservative government is shown as a Fascist regime ruling the "Fatherland". Margaret Thatcher is depicted as the Führer, "Herr Thatchler", a paranoid megalomaniac, served by her grovelling henchmen who include von Gunner (John Gummer), von Tebbit (Norman Tebbit), Helmut Lawson (Nigel Lawson), Rudolph Hesseltine (a fusion of Michael Heseltine and Rudolf Hess) and Lord Howe-Howe (a play on Geoffrey Howe and Lord Haw-Haw, the wartime collaborator who was hanged for treason).

The Labour Party opposition is portrayed as a platoon of British soldiers referred to as “the Marauders”, battling against superior forces and always coming off second-best. They are led by the inexperienced Corporal "Taffy" Kinnock (Neil Kinnock — "taffy" is common slang for Welshman) and the turban-wearing "Darky" Chatterjee (Roy Hattersley, who was MP for Sparkbrook, a multi-racial constituency in Birmingham). The platoon was usually depicted as backbiting, inept, bolshie and uncooperative, which was the main reason for their constant defeats. Much of Taffy's woe originates among his own followers, especially from left-wingers such as "Barmy" Benn (Tony Benn) and "Fatty" Heffer (Eric Heffer), whose "cruel cockney humour" often has the last word, lowering morale on his own side, and was a feature in almost every instalment.

The SDP-Liberal Alliance (made up of the Social Democratic Party led by David Owen and the Liberal Party led by David Steel) is referred to as "the Allies", led by Doc "Killer" Owen of the paramedics and "Wee" Jock Steel, the Tartan Terror. As in many satirical presentations (such as Spitting Image), Steel is shown as a weakling overshadowed by the more dominant Owen. After failing to impress in the 1987 General Election, the two parties merged to form the Liberal Democrats in 1988; the “jokey” image of the Alliance put across by satirists was a major factor in what was seen as a search for more “gravitas”.

Libdems will be unelectable for the foreseeable future

more so them as they are kinda between a rock and a hard place

Go with the Tories and anger their supporters

Prop up a lost cause in labour (not to mention putting party before country as it will quite rightly be seen to be ) and anger a country

Best option for the libs is to stick at what they are good at and stay on the fence .. let Cameron run a minority government and promise to look at each policy on it's merit on a vote by vote basis

I agree with Tony. :shock:

I agree with Tony, too.

Has anyone mentioned the scorpion and the frog. That's what it seems like to me. Lib Dems are the Frog, Tories are the Scorpion.

Well I dont see how you can stand and moan about something you had your chance to change but gave up the right to do so.

As I'd still be a citizen of the country, I think that allows me 'the right' to criticize those who attempt to govern and legislate.

Perhaps, I should have just walked to a polling station and blindly put a cross against someone's name without even thinking about what I was doing? Would that really legitimize someone's criticisms? :?

BTW, I'm not suggesting you did that but I'd have a decent wager that a fairly substantial proportion of the electorate did.

The real reason the Lib Dems and Tories can't reach agreement!

LIB DEMS FORCE TORIES TO HAVE GAY FRIENDS AND A COMPOSTING TOILET

10-05-10

CONSERVATIVE MPs will be forced to have at least one gay friend each and install a filthy stone age toilet in their homes under any coalition deal with the Liberal Democrats.

With the two parties edging towards an agreement, Lib Dem sources say the Tories must demonstrate their commitment to progressive values by having lunch every day with an absurdly flamboyant gay man who will litter the conversation with repulsive double entendres.

One senior Lib Dem said: "Nothing will change the out-dated attitudes of a traditional Tory MP more effectively than a make-up artist called Simon using 'toad in the hole' as a rather obvious code for boisterous sodomy.

"Once a week they must go shopping together and the Tory MP will have to stand silently in front of a full length mirror while Simon drapes a feather boa around his shoulders and then tops it off with a cheeky little hat."

The source added: "And to demonstrate their commitment to the green economy they must then go home and deposit their toad in the hole into the Dung-o-matic 3000, which I can assure you smells at least 3000 times worse than it sounds."

Party leader Nick Clegg is also pushing for all Tory MPs to house a convicted paedophile in their garden sheds as part of the Lib Dem plan to release only the 5000 most dangerous perverts from Britain's jails.

Meanwhile the Tories are attempting to impose strict conditions on the Lib Dems by forcing them to accept a metallic grey chauffeur-driven Jaguar instead of their preferred option of 'burnt amber'.

Tory backbencher Denys Finch-Hatton said: "What if he tries to kiss me? And if he sends me a photograph of a naked willy am I supposed to say that I like it? Oh God."

He added: "To be honest I'd rather accept PR and watch the Conservative Party die on its knees than turn up to the golf club with some day-glo ponce mincing along behind me. That said, I am somewhat intrigued by the manky stone age shit-box."

As the Clegg-Cameron talks continue the Labour Party has made a fresh overture to the Lib Dems by re-enacting Weekend at Bernie's with Peter Mandelson and Alistair Campbell putting a pair of sunglasses on Gordon Brown and taking him to the beach.

But sources said the chances of a deal receded dramatically after the prime minister failed to react when a stray volley ball hit him right in the nuts.

With PR you would get what we have witnessed in the last 5 days at EVERY election.

I don't think you would.

You would probably still see the discussions but those involved would be better versed in the required etiquette.

Also, the media and the electorate would not be expecting a final decision at every turn. People might even show a degree of patience and not expect everything to be served to them like fast food.

I saw someone on the BBC refer to it (early on) as a 'constitutional crisis' and he was put very firmly in his place by whomever he was talking to (it was either a retired former civil service bigwig or a politics and government professor - can't remeber which one of the two did it).

If there is a referendum then I think the arguments against PR (in any form) are actually being written as we speak

If there were to be a referendum then I'd hope that all of the possibilities, potential benefits and potential problems (of the suggested new system and the existing system) were discussed rather than people just cherrypicking one thing which suits their argument and saying that is the only thing that counts.

But you seem like a well educated and smart chap, I dont see why you would have had to do that?

I wasn't suggesting that I would have to do that. :?

The point was actually to question your comment about what gives someone 'the right' to criticize one's government.

I suggested it had nothing to do with voting but whether or not one was a citizen of a country (it might come down to more than that - like being a resident in a country, say).

surely a little reading up is more than enought to form your own opinion on who would represent you best?

I have done more than a little 'reading up' and, as has been the case throughout my life, no political party represents me.

None of them would 'represent me best'.

I have followed politics pretty closely since I was a teenager so my decision not to vote is one taken after much thought and reasoning.

The only real 'presumption' made in your posts has been that this was not the case.

Oh and I'm not on the electoral roll. :winkold:

I would be interested to hear from our Labour supporting VTers how happy or otherwise they are with the prospect of a Labour led Rainbow Alliance and how stable it will be?

I'm not a Labour supporter but the above would be a nightmare, in the end the countries that really don't contribute but only take would have more power than they should ever have. Money should be taken away from Scotland/Ni/Wales etc and pumped into England as far as i know. Get the heart and brain working and worry about toes 123 later.

I would be interested to hear from our Labour supporting VTers how happy or otherwise they are with the prospect of a Labour led Rainbow Alliance and how stable it will be?

are the "ghey's" not going to be a little bit upset if Labour nick their alliance from them? :winkold: :lol:

So for those of you that didn't vote, I presume you won't moan or critic the new government as you gave up your chance to affect the outcome?

Do you presume that or do you, like many people before and, probably, to come, suggest the same old nonsense that those who did not vote don't have a right to criticize their government?

I think you have to draw a distinction between those who don't vote because they're uninterested and can't be bothered, and those who don't vote because none of the candidates would represent them, and spoiling a ballot is just a huge waste of time.

Until we get a "none of the above" option to show dissatisfaction with the options on offer then not voting is going to be something a fair amount of educated informed people do, and it doesn't take away the right to criticise the government the same way that voting for the government doesn't mean you can't criticise them (I mean you can always take the stance of you put them in power, you made your bed now lie in it!").