Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

Four years seems along time for them to co-exist.

I still can't see Liberals sitting in cabinet with the Tories, so just a 'broad agreement'

The first sign of trouble will see a Lib/Lab no-confidence vote and a general election.

My money's on October 2011

My personal thought was March 2011

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side issue, as I've never really followed Lib Dem internal structures and procedures, how does the Leader of the Lib Dems get elected and can anyone challenge him etc?

From the Lib Dem Federal Constitution:

ARTICLE 10: The Leader

10.1 The Leader of the Party shall be elected by the members of the Party in accordance

with election rules made pursuant to Article 8.4.

10.2 An election for the Leader shall be called upon:

(a) the Leader asking for an election;

(B) the death or incapacity of the Leader;

© the Leader ceasing to be a Member of the House of Commons (other than a

temporary cessation by reason of a dissolution);

(d) the receipt by the President of the resignation of the Leader or of a declaration

of intent to resign upon the election of a new Leader;

(e) a vote of no confidence in the Leader being passed by a majority of all

Members of the Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons;

(f) the receipt by the President of a requisition submitted by at least 75 Local

Parties (including for this purpose, the Specified Associated Organisation or

Organisations representing youth and/or students) following the decision of a

quorate general meeting; or

(g) the first anniversary of the preceding general election being reached without an

election being called under any of paragraphs (a) through (f), provided that:

(i) the Federal Executive may postpone such an election for no more than

one year by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting; and

(ii) this paragraph (g) shall not apply if the Leader is a member of the

Government.

10.3 Upon election, the Leader shall hold office until death, incapacity or resignation or the

completion of an election called under this Article.

10.4 Upon the calling of an election, the Federal Executive shall publish a timetable for

nominations, withdrawals, despatch and receipt of ballot papers and the holding of

ballots and shall appoint a disinterested person or body to receive and count the ballot

papers.

10.5 Nominations must be of a Member of the Parliamentary Party in the House of

Commons, who must be proposed by at least ten percent of other members of the

Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons and supported by 200 members in

aggregate in not less than 20 Local Parties (including, for this purpose, the Specified

Associated Organisations representing youth and students as provided by Article 13.8 )

and must indicate acceptance of nomination.

The election is a secret ballot of the whole membership, I think, done by STV.

Of course, the parliamentary party could just knife their leader in the back (Edit - more like in the stomach, actually, and very publicly, too) like they did with Charlie K. :P

One dead cert of Con/Lib is the rolling back of Labours stasi state and that is great news for everyone.

ID cards? No thanks, we're British.

hope so, somehow I suspect it wont happen though, sure they'll bin the ID cards as thats a saving but roll back the rest, don't think it'll happen

Though what being British has to do with it is beyond me

Relief this is all almost over now they can get on with what we pay them to do. For the good of the country I hope this works out but I just can't see it lasting any longer than 18 months before it all goes very sour and there will have to be another election.

Because being British used to be a synonym for civil liberties.

Though not in colonial times obviously...

Certainly not for your ancestors or they wouldn't have ended up in Australia!

Odd perception you have there, I'd say that simply wasn't true. Most countries with a modern democracy have far far more civil liberties than we do here or have ever had.

Civil Liberties? You mean like the slave trade.

Britons never never never shall be slaves....

But if you want to get all "oooh, but Britain was horrible etc etc" then we were the first outlaw it and then fight to stop others doing it.

Still get the anti-Brit jibes in now because after tonight the Britain hating loony left will be quietly stewing in their own piss - for a while at least :D

God this feels good.

Odd perception you have there, I'd say that simply wasn't true. Most countries with a modern democracy have far far more civil liberties than we do here or have ever had.

In Europe for example, rights are granted to citizens by the state. In Britain powers are granted to the state by the people.

Magna Carta FTW!

Actually Awol, one of the two parties in coalition is the only one of the three on the left

I've no problem with the left anyway, just the communist inspired lunatic variety. Pluralism is good.

Civil Liberties? You mean like the slave trade.

Britons never never never shall be slaves....

Has absolutely nothing to do with the slave trade

But if you want to get all "oooh, but Britain was horrible etc etc" then we were the first outlaw it and then fight to stop others doing it.

Were we really? We weren't even close to being the first.

Still get the anti-Brit jibes in now because after tonight the Britain hating loony left will be quietly stewing in their own piss - for a while at least :D

God this feels good.

Feels good to have the most leftwing of the mainstream British parties in coalition with the second most left wing (although still centre right) of the mainstream British parties. How very odd

In Europe for example, rights are granted to citizens by the state. In Britain powers are granted to the state by the people.

Magna Carta FTW!

And really what the hell has that got to do with an individuals civil liberties. Oh and Magna Carta got dicked on by Labour, we'll see if that gets reversed, I suspect not