Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

I thought the BNP were saying 'How many is there of us', maybe after gettig lip from the asian guys or something. Fair play to him for putting the boot in though. Anyone that spits should be strung up, Nothing makes me angrier, personally.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice kick to the head...

Did he say 'are you robbers'

Shocking stuff , and no place for people like him (or his party) in Politics

saying that it will be hard for labour supporters who didn't condemn Prescott's street brawl to not appear a tad hypercritical if they now condemn this bloke

fully agree Tone.

That was shocking, for a parliamentary candidate to do that. Racist thug.

First he says, are you robbers. Then when one of them spits at him (ok totally out of order) he physically attacks them, and then boots the boot in when they are on the ground.

racist thug and bully.

He's a BNP candidate, so he's definitely a racist.

He's a parliamentary candidate (?), so probably a bully (our governing party has been full of them the last 13 years)

Thug? Hmmm, possibly, but then I defy even the most mild mannered of people to keep their hands down if they were spat on like that, and mild mannered people are generally not 'thugs'

it's not so much the first punch that I object to so much (although there was still no need for that either IMO - many politicians have been egged, attacked with paint, etc etc). It's the kicking him whilst he's on the deck which suggest he is little more than a racist thug.

No place for him in civilised politics IMO.

My hope for tomorrow is that Brown will resign and a Lab-Lib Dem coalition can somehow be formed as I think that gives the best chance of a fairer society rather than the one under the Tories where those who have been lucky enough to enjoy greater opportunities continue to put themselves first and those unlucky enough not to have had those opportunities continue to bear a proportionately worse burden.

I would have thought that 13 years of Labour would have created the 'fairer society' that Brown espouses and those of you who vote Labour so obviously crave.

But it hasn't. The snouts in the trough Labour 'Politburo' have done very nicely thank you, and stuff the rest of us.

Surely its supply and demand.

The marketplace dictates the price.

Sounds like Tory heaven.

Whats the alternative?

Well let’s consider a few alternatives.

If you were poor and lived somewhere with a necessary but expensive ferry route:

Alternative 1: market forces suggest you need to acquire more wealth to get on the ferry sonny. All additional wealth is located on the other side of the water. You get to stay on the island.

Alternative 2: a modest subsidy from the more well off will ensure your fare is not disproportionate to your income and allow you to enter the marketplace at rung one. Once you have sufficient funds for the full fare, a portion of your fare will go towards subsidising those less well off than yourself.

Alternative 3: the ferry is nationalised, we can all get on for free, turns out it wasn’t free but alternatively funded by your tax, ferry driver gets above himself and regularly strikes for better pay and conditions, ferry lacks investment and eventually closes down. We all get to stay on the island.

trouble is, if you ask any of the three mainstream parties which alternative they are they will only tell you that the others will sell / scupper the boat eat your kids and shag your nan

I think the situation could have been avoided if it wasn't for the gob in the face. Is that classed as assault nowadays?

Yes, I think it is.

i still think the reaction was out of proportion though.

Could you envisage Cameron or Clegg doing that?

and i thought he encouraged the confrontation by calling them robbers or something like that. Tosser.

Guest Ricardomeister

My hope for tomorrow is that Brown will resign and a Lab-Lib Dem coalition can somehow be formed as I think that gives the best chance of a fairer society rather than the one under the Tories where those who have been lucky enough to enjoy greater opportunities continue to put themselves first and those unlucky enough not to have had those opportunities continue to bear a proportionately worse burden.

I would have thought that 13 years of Labour would have created the 'fairer society' that Brown espouses and those of you who vote Labour so obviously crave.

But it hasn't. The snouts in the trough Labour 'Politburo' have done very nicely thank you, and stuff the rest of us.

That is one of the reasons that I want Brown to resign and a Lab-Lib Dem coalition to be in power as the one thing that I am 100% sure of is that you will not get a fairer society with the Tories in power.

Cameron and the Tories for me!!! Personally see him as the only 'genuine' personality and hampered by the 'Toff Eton Boy' tag!! Give me him over the self righteous smug Clegg anyday. Then again just my opinion!!

It's the people that don't vote and then winge and whine that annoy the hell out of me!!

I think the situation could have been avoided if it wasn't for the gob in the face. Is that classed as assault nowadays?

Yes, I think it is.

i still think the reaction was out of proportion though.

Could you envisage Cameron or Clegg doing that?

and i thought he encouraged the confrontation by calling them robbers or something like that. Tosser.

Obviously not, but then again it's hard to imagine BNP candidates as respected ( :) ) politicians such as Cameron or Clegg.

I do see your point though if one is to imagine politicians as people who should have to put up with the egg-throwing, spitting etc. but if someone was to do that on the street I would be surprised not to see a reaction like that.

Disgraceful from the BNP but not surprising. BTW he doesn't say "Are you robbers" he says "How many are there of us" I think

actaully, yes i think you are right trickie (on both counts), listening a few times. He's basically saying to them they are outnumbered.

he lays into that kid a lot when he's on the deck though. Punches and kicks him on the deck. Thug.

There is. There's a lot of differences between many companies and industries. So when the right decide theat the best course of action for all of them is to "let the market decide" you know that for a lot of them they are bound to be wrong. And have been proven to be wrong. Let the market run the railways (whilst we throw ever increasing amount of subsidies at it) for example. So if the market is not good for railways, it's probably not good for other forms of transport. For instance, many ferries around the scottish isles are subsidised.

So where would you draw the line?

Which markets do you subsidise and which do you leave to get on with it.

Are the ferries to europe subsidised, what about eurotunnel?

I can see what you mean but at what level of usage would you say a service is untenable?

I really am not sticking up for the BNP bloke at all but I do not think he called them robbers

no, i agree. Still a thug though :|

There is. There's a lot of differences between many companies and industries. So when the right decide theat the best course of action for all of them is to "let the market decide" you know that for a lot of them they are bound to be wrong. And have been proven to be wrong. Let the market run the railways (whilst we throw ever increasing amount of subsidies at it) for example. So if the market is not good for railways, it's probably not good for other forms of transport. For instance, many ferries around the scottish isles are subsidised.

So where would you draw the line?

Which markets do you subsidise and which do you leave to get on with it.

Are the ferries to europe subsidised, what about eurotunnel?

I can see what you mean but at what level of usage would you say a service is untenable?

the only areas which should be subsidised are where there is little competition thus the companies taking advantage. Ferries have plenty of competition with trains and flights, it's only the volcano that has allowed them to get away with increased prices. It's perfectly fair in all honesty.

I would do it, because most of the time majority will take eurostar or fly so why not let the ferries be top dog for a week or two? it means they can make more profit and improve their service (if they aren't greedy gits).

Are water companies regional? i.e. I live in coventry and can ONLY go with severn trent water?

if so that means no competition so they can charge what they like, I think perhaps if prices for that go up considerably that should be subsidised.

trains are a tricky one, they shouldn't be subsidised per say but they should allow governments to invest in network improvements. The high speed rail in principle could be the single most important development for the country this century (along with green energy) but with Adonis' half arsed effort at it, it will end up being a waste of money.

That is one of the reasons that I want Brown to resign and a Lab-Lib Dem coalition to be in power as the one thing that I am 100% sure of is that you will not get a fairer society with the Tories in power.

To be fair, after the last 13 years I don't think that you can be 100% sure of anything.

The point about fairness is, fairness for whom?

I don't particularly think that the system has been fair to me and I am sure that, whoever wins, it will become even less fair for me.

On the other hand I am prepared to pay even more tax, just so long as that burden is placed across society by raising the basic rate, not by increasing higher rates, which are an unfair punishment on those who generate wealth for the country.

Standard tax rates for all, retaining the two tier system are the fairest way. Those who earn more, pay more, and those who kick into a higher rate (more and more as thresholds are never raised), pay even more.

To be fair, after the last 13 years I don't think that you can be 100% sure of anything.

The point about fairness is, fairness for whom?

I don't particularly think that the system has been fair to me and I am sure that, whoever wins, it will become even less fair for me.

On the other hand I am prepared to pay even more tax, just so long as that burden is placed across society by raising the basic rate, not by increasing higher rates, which are an unfair punishment on those who generate wealth for the country.

Standard tax rates for all, retaining the two tier system are the fairest way. Those who earn more, pay more, and those who kick into a higher rate (more and more as thresholds are never raised), pay even more.

I'm sure that after 31 years of tories (blue and red) in power, we can be sure that a change would be good.

The key here is the morale of the would be Lib Dem voter. For how many years have they simply not voted as 'there is no point'? Since the televised debates the Lib Dems feel they are on an equal footing. I reckon with Lib Dems getting the most votes, but not enough for a majority. *Ducks and when the Tories get a landslide I shall claim I was drunk*

The key here is the morale of the would be Lib Dem voter. For how many years have they simply not voted as 'there is no point'? Since the televised debates the Lib Dems feel they are on an equal footing. I reckon with Lib Dems getting the most votes, but not enough for a majority. *Ducks and when the Tories get a landslide I shall claim I was drunk*

I just fear (looking at mike mooney and ricardo's posts in here for example) that a little bit of the lib dem bounce may have ebbed away at the last hour, and probably gone back to labour.

I think the best I can hope for is Tories with the most seats and votes, but still some way short of an overall maj. Labour probably 2nd in terms of seats and votes (just) and lib dems a healthy 3rd with an increase in votes and seats.

Then the fun begins .... :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/england/8663681.stm?ls

To be fair, even if it wasn't the BNP, anybody who spits in my face would get the same!

I'm actaully surprised we haven't seen more of this kind of thing.

When you get racist parties and racist candidates walking the streets in less wealthy areas that have quite a high concentration of ethnic diversity, you are always taking nthis risk.

The BNP are effectively walking through streets where people live who they want to "send home". It is unsurprising that these people do not take kindly to their presence "on their streets".

It is also unsurprising that the BNP candidiates will take some "back-up" when walking the streets in such areas. The fact that this back-up is likely to be both racist and not averse to "having a ruck" merely adds to the mixing pot.