Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was a little kid, I used to watch all these political shenanigans with bemusement. The grown-ups would get so worked up about how terrible things were and how they would be much better if the other lot were in power. Or vice versa.

Yet as far as I could see, nothing really changed. I had enough to eat, I had my family and friends, I enjoyed the things I enjoyed, whoever was in government.

Now I'm grown-up of course.....

I wonder if I wasn't right all along. We live in an affluent society. Even the poorest in our society are not poor at all by third world standards. My reaction to - say - the rising cost of petrol? "Tsk!"

Whoever is in Number Ten tomorrow, I will still enjoy reading the same books, watching the same films, listening to the same music, drinking the same beer. It may cost a bit more, but so what?

Some things may get better, some things may get worse. But at root, we are spoiled brats.

Maybe the apathetic non-voters are right. In real terms, this all has as much meaning as which football team wins the Premiership; i.e. none whatsoever.

I'm in a proper funny mood today, I can tell you. :|

It's the pressure of not knowing whether to vote lib dem or labour. :lol: :winkold:

So you think that just because we're not as poor as those in third-world countries, we are spoiled? We shouldn't really care who gets into power?

Some people may fear for their jobs, or friends and family members' jobs, depending on the result of this election.

It may, in this respect and others, have a fairly significant effect on some people's financial situation.

I remember when I was a little kid, I used to watch all these political shenanigans with bemusement. The grown-ups would get so worked up about how terrible things were and how they would be much better if the other lot were in power. Or vice versa.

Yet as far as I could see, nothing really changed. I had enough to eat, I had my family and friends, I enjoyed the things I enjoyed, whoever was in government.

I wonder if I wasn't right all along. We live in an affluent society. Even the poorest in our society are not poor at all by third world standards. My reaction to - say - the rising cost of petrol? "Tsk!"

Whoever is in Number Ten tomorrow, I will still enjoy reading the same books, watching the same films, listening to the same music, drinking the same beer. It may cost a bit more, but so what?

Some things may get better, some things may get worse. But at root, we are spoiled brats.

Maybe the apathetic non-voters are right. In real terms, this all has as much meaning as which football team wins the Premiership; i.e. none whatsoever.

Vote Labour mate :D

good post Mr Moon man :nod:

Agree with pretty much all of that.

I used to be soooo into politics. So much so that i studied it at degree and masters level. I was fascinated with it.

But gradually, party politics, and the thinmg you mention in your post, have just ground me down, to the point now ehere i'm just very much "meh" about it most of the time.

There does not appeat to be a great deal of differenece between the main parties, just tinkering at the edges.

I think in some ways labour's "abandonment" of its left wing principles, it's unwillingness to really carry though many of its left wing policies that it had promised for so many years since its years in the wilderness, has just done me in.

I feel disillusioned and let down. By Labour. Who i have supported since i've been intelligent enough to uderstand politics.

This General Election has however reignited my excitement. Largely due to the Lib Dem surge, and the prospects of a fascinating and unprecedented, in my lifetime, hung parliament.

The golves could really be off come tomorrow morning .... :P

The key here is the morale of the would be Lib Dem voter. For how many years have they simply not voted as 'there is no point'? Since the televised debates the Lib Dems feel they are on an equal footing. I reckon with Lib Dems getting the most votes, but not enough for a majority. *Ducks and when the Tories get a landslide I shall hope I am drunk*

Edited for accuracy :winkold:

So you think that just because we're not as poor as those in third-world countries, we are spoiled? We shouldn't really care who gets into power?

Some people may fear for their jobs, or friends and family members' jobs, depending on the result of this election.

It may, in this respect and others, have a fairly significant effect on some people's financial situation.

That's kind of my point though.

I think the reason that I have always voted Labour is that I vote out of principle, not out of self-interest.

I grew up in a family that never had a bank account or a car or had foreign holidays or ate in restaurants, and yet I was quite happy.

And - thanks to the Labour-driven postwar welfare state - I've been immensely privileged. I've had free health care and free education, things my parents couldn't have when they were young.

Nowadays, I'm unequivocally middle-class - I work in an office; I own a nice house and a car; I have some savings; I have travelled a bit; I eat out, if I want something I can generally afford it. But if I have to cut my cloth a bit - lose the car and have to travel on the bus, say. Or no more overseas travel. Or have to move to a smaller house.... I don't think I'd bleat about it too much. Because I'm still infinitely better off than my parents ever were.

I'm well aware that there are people worse off than me. And what I have always hated about the Conservative philosophy is this whole "greed is good"/"no such thing thing as society", rampant free-enterprise, look after number one mentality.

The planet is falling apart, people are starving to death, but in this country we get outraged over the price of petrol.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but maybe somebody can see what I'm getting at.

How would you like them to change, Tony?

If they're as shit as you think, surely you want them to stay exactly as they are?

I think we've seen what happens when a party has a large majority and no competition .. Labour became arrogant and as bad as the government they convinced everyone to remove ..remember the We are the anti Sleaze party campaigning !!

So a strong opposition will keep the next government honest and a small majority will make them think twice about trying to ramrod crap policies like ID cards and 28 days through parliament

I'm well aware that there are people worse off than me. And what I have always hated about the Conservative philosophy is this whole "greed is good"/"no such thing thing as society", rampant free-enterprise, look after number one mentality.

The planet is falling apart, people are starving to death, but in this country we get outraged over the price of petrol.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but maybe somebody can see what I'm getting at.

raises hand.

Me. :thumb:

Sinn Fein received my vote today, just about.
Boooo

If it keeps the UUP/Con clearings in the woods out then I'm more than happy to vote like that.

I disagree with them politically on a lot of things, but it is either Sinn Fein or SDLP for me.

Sinn Fein received my vote today, just about.
Boooo

If it keeps the UUP/Con clearings in the woods out then I'm more than happy to vote like that.

I disagree with them politically on a lot of things, but it is either Sinn Fein or SDLP for me.

I know, I was joking :D

Who i have supported since I've been intelligent enough to understand politics

you've got a Delorean and been to the future ?

can you pick me up a sports almanac next time you go :-)