Jez

I find it hard to believe Modric is on 35k. It might have been his first big move, but he was THE hottest property at the time that he moved and Spurs would've had to offer him more than (the good) half of Europe were offering him at the time.

Isn't that always the case with Portugese clubs though? As soon as a team does well it gets systematically torn up. Yet they always seem to find more players, do well and sell them for huge money.

If only Villa had their scouting system (and special dispensation for top quality Brazilian youngsters).

Yet they always seem to find more players, do well and sell them for huge money.

It's their unique (language-related) lure to the Brazilian league.

I'd say it's the ease of access tbh. Good scouts are not unique to Portugal and there are plenty of stories of, for example, English clubs being stopped from buying Brazilian youngsters because they can't get a work permit. I'm not au fait with it but I wouldn't be surprised if the unique colonial link of Brazil to Portugal meant there's basically an open door policy between the 2 countries that doesn't exist between Brazil and any other European country..

I'd say it's the ease of access tbh. Good scouts are not unique to Portugal and there are plenty of stories of, for example, English clubs being stopped from buying Brazilian youngsters because they can't get a work permit. I'm not au fait with it but I wouldn't be surprised if the unique colonial link of Brazil to Portugal meant there's basically an open door policy between the 2 countries that doesn't exist between Brazil and any other European country..

also for Brazilians i think is only 2 or 3 years to get portuguese passport like Deco and Pepe so then they can travel freely in Europe after shining there

Yes. It's because Brazil was a colony of Portugal for 350 years, so with the language, the culture and to a lesser extent the climate, Brazilian players will go to Portugal. If football (association football) were a bigger sport in the USA, Canada or Australia, you would find the same thing happening with their players flooding to England. It's just one of those historical quirks.