Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Great day of sport all round. England win first Test, Warwickshire beat Glos in T20 and (OT I realise) - Froome wins TdF stage.

Now hope Warks can continue good run of form against Notts starting tomorrow - wife is preparing lunch for it as I speak !

Hey PaulC  - can you say what that forum is that you run please. Cheers 

Brilliant, brilliant test match. How anyone can doubt it's the best form of the game, is beyond me. Credit to the Aussies, they never gave up, and kept on fighting to the end. Jimmy was an inspiration yet again, but must admit to being a tad disappointed not to see Belly get the MOTM. Still a very happy England fan today. On to Lords next week, for hopefully another enthralling test match!  

It is the best form of the game when you get a test like this but the reality is that this form of the game isn't generally what the public want but the Ashes is different which is why it is the only 5 game test series left.

Anyway, I've had a fantastic day at Trent Bridge which is just a splendid ground.

On to the next test... god I love the Ashes.

It is the best form of the game when you get a test like this but the reality is that this form of the game isn't generally what the public want but the Ashes is different which is why it is the only 5 game test series left.

Anyway, I've had a fantastic day at Trent Bridge which is just a splendid ground.

Then the public are idiots!  ;)

Great day of sport all round. England win first Test, Warwickshire beat Glos in T20 and (OT I realise) - Froome wins TdF stage.

Now hope Warks can continue good run of form against Notts starting tomorrow - wife is preparing lunch for it as I speak !

Hey PaulC  - can you say what that forum is that you run please. Cheers 

www.bearsfans.co.uk

Just watching that link for the 2005 Ashes, that series really was something!

I'm not a cricket fan at all but I could still feel it was something special.

I've put the cricket on the screen by my desk at work so we can all watch it as there are a fair few cricket fans sat around me so I have been watching it and asking "is that a good score?" "is that a good thing?"

Its sad but true though, their is no enthusiasm really except when Aussies come to England or maybe at a stretch India in 2011 but that ended quickly when they showed how shit that India team was minus Dravid.

Didnt England play a game in Cardiff vs Sri Lanka and think was only 60 people there for final day and that was an amazing turnaround

I'm not really a cricket fan as such, but I love test cricket, and especially the Ashes.  This was a brilliant test, but am I alone in thinking that all these review aids has turned the game into a bit of a computer game?  How soon until they do away with umpires altogether, especially when they perform as badly as the chap in this test.

I'm not really a cricket fan as such, but I love test cricket, and especially the Ashes.  This was a brilliant test, but am I alone in thinking that all these review aids has turned the game into a bit of a computer game?  How soon until they do away with umpires altogether, especially when they perform as badly as the chap in this test.

It's a hugely beneficial technological advancement Mart, surely. Like hawkeye at the tennis.

Go back 20 odd years, and umpires would just be getting decisions wrong, and affecting the result of a game with their bad calls/poor judgement. The game should be above bad decisons like that. It should be about the 'best' team on the day(s).

It's quite shocking that one of the richest sports in the world, football, has not bought technology in yet.

But yes, take it to its logical conclusion, and eventually the umpires become obsolete.

Go back 20 odd years, and umpires would just be getting decisions wrong, and affecting the result of a game with their bad calls/poor judgement. The game should be above bad decisons like that.

Except it isn't above (obviously) bad decisions still, Jon.

The (original) intention of these aids was to remove the howler and in a lot of cases it will but if a side has no reviews left and a howler occurs then the bad decision still hasn't been removed from the game.

With the review system comes a number of problems, including:

The questioning of the umpire - it is now an integral part of the game to question the umpire and his competence directly;

Reviewing becomes such a 'skill' in itself that we have Atherton exclaiming 'what a brilliant review' (rather than what a brilliant ball to dismiss the batsman which is, I guess, where Risso was going with his comment);

A lack of understanding about the technology itself which breeds comments like Hussain's the other day to Holding about where the ball pitched being a matter of 'Hawk-eye fact', i.e. he was suggesting that Hawk-Eye's calculation of where it pitched was incontrovertible fact (rather than saying it was a fact in Hawk-Eye world).

On the last one, Holding's response was that it was an accepted fact (though often not so) and this is at the heart of it. The technology as the ultimate arbiter of where the ball lands or doesn't or where it may go on to hit is fine as long as everyone involved accepts that, rather than it being infallible and definitive, it is less inaccurate than people and that it is going to be more consistent.

The only way we would really cut out controversy would be to accept that decisions are decisions.

I don't mind umpires getting calls wrong (or even the third umpire and the technology getting calls wrong) as long as they are not so obviously wrong as to be painfully shit.

As per earlier in the thread, I do think we ought to be very, very circumspect about going down the 'computer say no' route of decision making, though.

Its sad but true though, their is no enthusiasm really except when Aussies come to England or maybe at a stretch India in 2011 but that ended quickly when they showed how shit that India team was minus Dravid.

Didnt England play a game in Cardiff vs Sri Lanka and think was only 60 people there for final day and that was an amazing turnaround

There's more hype surrounding the ashes but South Africa are the best test playing nation in the world and sadly we only had a 3 match series against them last year, which they won 2-0

A fantastic game. Wonderful bowling from Jimmy Anderson. Australia stepped up to plate and I felt did themselves proud considering the talk of getting battered etc.

What I will say is that England's batting since the New Zealand tour has been very average, and the experiment of Joe Root opening just isn't working. Surprised that the squad is the same for Lords, I would have moved Root down the order and Finn needs time out the limelight to get his confidence and length back.

A fantastic game. Wonderful bowling from Jimmy Anderson. Australia stepped up to plate and I felt did themselves proud considering the talk of getting battered etc.

What I will say is that England's batting since the New Zealand tour has been very average, and the experiment of Joe Root opening just isn't working. Surprised that the squad is the same for Lords, I would have moved Root down the order and Finn needs time out the limelight to get his confidence and length back.

Yes I agree, moving Root up to open was a bit premature. Bairstow as well is a weak link in the team. He may have talent but I'm not convinced he will ever make a test batsman. Maybe move Root back down the order and find another opener. Compton was a bit unlucky, Chopra has been scoring runs for Warwickshire, but not today unfortunately.

...the experiment of Joe Root opening just isn't working.

I can't agree with any of that (which is not to say that England may, at some point, put him back down the order but that would be daft, in my view).

What 'experiment'?

'Just isn't working' after one test match?

Â