Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

England continuing to shine and looking nailed on to finish the first game in the early hours of the morning.

In the second innings, Wagner finished with 110 runs off 13 overs, 8+ an over, in a test match.

Broad absolutely rolling back the years skittling 4 of their top 5 clean bowled. An unbelievable team at the moment.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2023 at 10:13, villa89 said:

The advantage of bowling under lights/at night seems to be huge. I guess it's the same as day cricket when the weather changes but more predictable. 

Yeah has there ever been a decent day / night test? The few I can think of were basically won on the toss

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

England continuing to shine and looking nailed on to finish the first game in the early hours of the morning.

In the second innings, Wagner finished with 110 runs off 13 overs, 8+ an over, in a test match.

Broad absolutely rolling back the years skittling 4 of their top 5 clean bowled. An unbelievable team at the moment.

It just goes to show how important the mental side of sport is. This is the same group of players that couldn’t buy a win before McCullum and Stokes took over. 

They were good players before so they haven’t suddenly improved technically, it’s just down to attitude and the feeling of freedom. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah has there ever been a decent day / night test? The few I can think of were basically won on the toss

But the ball is pink, its a cross between white and red so everything is balanced.... aledgely..

TBH its a farce. Day night is not the way to save test cricket. Give meaning to the matches, have a knockout test cricket world cup or something like that. Random test matches every now and then mean nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Anderson 4/18

Seems like he will go on forever 😀

Interestingly was just looking at the test bowling records, and didn’t realise Anderson had a similar strike rate to Murali and Warne. Obviously just doesn’t bowl as many overs in a test as a spinner so has taken him longer to match Warne’s haul (he’s only 20ish wickets behind now).

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

But the ball is pink, its a cross between white and red so everything is balanced.... aledgely..

TBH its a farce. Day night is not the way to save test cricket. Give meaning to the matches, have a knockout test cricket world cup or something like that. Random test matches every now and then mean nothing.

They have the test championship now so they do all count toward something. Whether it means anything or not is another question, NZ are the current (and inaugural) Test Champions.

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

Day night is not the way to save test cricket

Well, no. Not on its own, but in hot countries it's a crowd puller. Anything that gets more people in to matches is good for the survival of Test cricket. The problem is, as you allude to, the ball hooping all over the place in the twilight and night parts, and doing now't in the daytime - so it rigs the game towards teams bowling in those periods. Which makes NZ's decision to bowl first baffling, particularly given they pretty much know England would go after the ball as soon as they were put in, (try) and get 300+ fast, and then declare and have a bowl.

• Like 2

I don’t really have any alternative to offer, but I’ve always wondered if a simple toss of a coin is the best way to decide who bats/fields first given its importance to most test matches. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don’t really have any alternative to offer, but I’ve always wondered if a simple toss of a coin is the best way to decide who bats/fields first given its importance to most test matches. 

It's been suggested that the away team should get the choice to bat or bowl first, that way if a groundsman produces a pitch that favours the home team then at least the away team can try and get the best of the conditions possible.  I think they may have trialled it in county cricket but it never really took off.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's been suggested that the away team should get the choice to bat or bowl first, that way if a groundsman produces a pitch that favours the home team then at least the away team can try and get the best of the conditions possible.  I think they may have trialled it in county cricket but it never really took off.

Just thinking about it, how about simply alternating over a series? One team gets to choose in test 1, the other in test 2 etc. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

21-3 

Trouble.

Looking slightly more promising now but I’ll have to check the score when I wake up. Watching test matches was so much easier when I was actually in NZ 

Â