Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not easy bowling yorkers with a wet ball, even so that was brutal from Brathwaite and credit has to go to him.  Feel gutted for Stokes.

To be fair, there's a large area between bowling yorkers and bowling shitey short leg side crap

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

To be fair, there's a large area between bowling yorkers and bowling shitey short leg side crap

He basically bottled it. The first ball was absolutely horrific and that just set the tone for what was to come. 

• Like 1

Stokes is not a great bowler at the moment to be honest but should have defended 19. 

Having said that it was ridiculous hitting given the moment, given the situation. 

West Indies well deserved champions in what has been a terrific, short and sharp tournament. 

Gutted. Can't fault the effort, but just couldn't close it out. That Samuels reprieve seemed to be the clincher. If he'd been given out, maybe it's a different story. Feel for Stokes. Takes balls to step up and bowl at the death, and unfortunately he chose the worst possible time to have a nightmare. He'll be back stronger in my opinion, and he'll have a chance to put things right at some stage. This England side will win something in the future though, mark my words. So much talent, and all still young. They can only get better.

Well done West Indies though. As said earlier Samuels was the difference, and Badree's bowling has been tip top all though the competition. Brathwaite hitting those four sixes at the end was also pretty amazing, taking away the fact it was against England. If he'd done it against anyone else, I'd have loved it.   

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

See you Stokes, **** disgrace.

Don't see that at village level. International career over.

Really? I'm not sure how you could say that? He messed up, and his bowling was horrible, but that's a bit OTT. I think you may be letting emotions get the better of you. What about his knock in the test series against South Africa? What about the fact he's one of our best fielders? I think he's got the potential to be the best all-rounder to ever play for England.

Yes Broad did when he was hit for six sixes in an over. I just think thats the danger of bowling yorkers at the death, unless you are very good at it like Jordan. Batsmen know whats coming and you miss your target by a fraction the ball goes out of the ground. 

Anyway it was a great tournament and England did well to get to the final and I'm not convinced that Samuel wasn't out. It always looks like the ball has touched the ground on tv replays on these type of catches. Also the drop by Billings was crucial.

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I meant as a bowler in T20 but phrased it horrifically and let emotions get the better of me. 

Lets hope he bounces back. 

Fair do, I did wonder if that was maybe the case.

I think from now on the verb "to Brathwaite" should be used to mean "to spectacularly piss on someone's chips from a a great height"

We did well to even have a good chance coming in to the last over, Stokes has a good future in all formats ahead of him and will learn from it. This group are young and talented, best batting depth I can ever remember england having and we have players who can bowl too. Looking forward to watching them develop together in the longer formats as well as T20. 

• Like 1

Stokes has been Englands best player for the last 6 months, I think that's pretty much safe to say.  But what an over to bowl like that in!

I feel for the guy, but he seems like a tough cookie and I think he'll use this to drive forward, making an already great player into something scary.

FWIW I think Morgan should be pretty much ashamed of his "contribution" all through the tournament, his batting has been absolutely pathetic.

As has been said by everyone now, Stokes didn't do well - but the batting total was pretty naff for that wicket, we needed another 10 or 15, then we'd have won comfortably.

Well done Windies - I thought they went out to India after I switched off when Gayle and Samuels got out against them! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Stokes has been Englands best player for the last 6 months, I think that's pretty much safe to say.

Root has been better, IMO. Also i think Morgan's captained well, but yeah, his batting has been dire. He just seems to have 3 or 4 good months, then the same, terrible with his batting. England have improved a heck of a lot in 12 months. Compared to the embarassment of the 50 over WC a year ago, then winning the Ashes, beating the Saffers away and a T20 final, all the while playing mostly attacking, entertaining cricket and introducing new players into the team. They do slump badly from time to time, which needs to stop, but since getting rid of that numpty who was coach, and since Strauss has taken over the whole thing, it's been really promising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Stokes has been Englands best player for the last 6 months, I think that's pretty much safe to say.  But what an over to bowl like that in!

I feel for the guy, but he seems like a tough cookie and I think he'll use this to drive forward, making an already great player into something scary.

FWIW I think Morgan should be pretty much ashamed of his "contribution" all through the tournament, his batting has been absolutely pathetic.

I don't feel for him beacuse he seems like a complete dick. Delighted to see he cost England the game.

As for Morgan, I agree he is only in the team beause he's captain. He's a liability who can't be relied on and has shown over his career that he's more bad than good.

Root has been better, IMO. Also i think Morgan's captained well, but yeah, his batting has been dire. He just seems to have 3 or 4 good months, then the same, terrible with his batting. England have improved a heck of a lot in 12 months. Compared to the embarassment of the 50 over WC a year ago, then winning the Ashes, beating the Saffers away and a T20 final, all the while playing mostly attacking, entertaining cricket and introducing new players into the team. They do slump badly from time to time, which needs to stop, but since getting rid of that numpty who was coach, and since Strauss has taken over the whole thing, it's been really promising.

Oh yea i agree. I think i should have said "most improved".

Joe Root is the hub of the team and will be a legend of the game (touch wood).

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It was painful to watch.

Not sure why Stokes had to bowl the last over though.

Because to be fair to him, and Morgan, and Bayliss, he did it in the last few matched with great success. The issue is that he kept bowling the same bad ball. I'm not sure why he didn't stop after two balls had been smashed for 6, but I guess he backed himself to get it right. It's a fine line between getting your yorker in and not. Maybe they could have given Jordan the last over, but it had worked well before, so they were loathed to change it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I bloody love Joe Root. I wish he was my little brother.

He's amazing. I said Kohli is the best one day batsman ever and I stand by that, but in all formats Root is the best batsman in the world now. Overtaken AB! and what is he 24, best years to come yet. Players like Root don't come along too often. we had KP but Root is better!  Less flaws! 

• Like 3

Any Warwickshire members on here please ?  If so, have you received a fixture list or the guests voucher thingies ?  Wife and self have had membership cards but didn't even know we were away to Hampshire this weekend !!

Â