Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

9 minutes ago, veloman said:

Any Warwickshire members on here please ?  If so, have you received a fixture list or the guests voucher thingies ?  Wife and self have had membership cards but didn't even know we were away to Hampshire this weekend !!

Only for the T20 games mate, but I've received my card (and all the people I go with have too) and the fixture list letter.

Probably different to members though. :)

Awful news! Wish him all the best for the future...

James Taylor: England and Nottinghamshire batsman forced to retire

James Taylor: England and Nottinghamshire batsman forced to retire

2 minutes ago
From the section Cricket
50

 Share this page

James Taylor played seven Tests for England, including all four matches in the winter series win over South Africa
England and Nottinghamshire batsman James Taylor has been forced to retire because of a serious heart condition.

Scans have shown that Taylor, 26, has a condition similar to the one which affected footballer Fabrice Muamba.

Taylor, who has played seven Tests and 27 one-day internationals for his country, posted on Twitter: "Safe to say this has been the toughest week of my life!

"My world is upside down. But I'm here to stay and I'm battling on!"

Taylor missed his county's pre-season fixture against Cambridge MCCU with what was thought to be a viral condition.

However, his county revealed he has been diagnosed with Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Arrhythmia (ARVC) in a statement in which England team director Andrew Strauss spoke about his "shock" and "sadness".

"Throughout his career, he has constantly impressed with his determination to make the absolute most of his ability," said Strauss.

"It is immensely cruel that such a hard working player will be unable to fulfil his great potential in the international arena."

Footballer Muamba's heart stopped for 78 minutes while playing for Bolton Wanderers against Tottenham Hotspur in 2012.

Real shame, first time I saw him was in T20 and this little fella who looked no older than 12 came out.

Rankin went at him hard and I've never seen a "couldn't care less" attitude.

He was good.

Better long term though, and thankfully they've caught it now, rather than when/if he collapsed on a cricket pitch somewhere.  I don't think they have emergency staff like at the football (or at least, not as many of them).

• Like 1

Thats shocking news. wonderful little player with his whole career ahead of him, now taken away. Hope he has another career to go into. Many cricketers have a backup plan but someone of Taylors brilliance might not. Maybe he can go down the coaching route. 

• Like 1

I think Warwickshire are a good bet to win the title this season. The odds have gone in a bit but having Bell all season and making him captain is a masterstoke. We have a very strong batting line-up and providing our seamers can keep fit we gave a great chance.

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Warwickshire are a good bet to win the title this season. The odds have gone in a bit but having Bell all season and making him captain is a masterstoke. We have a very strong batting line-up and providing our seamers can keep fit we gave a great chance.

I'm hoping that giving Bell the captaincy will give Chopra the freedom to perform much better.  I think the captaincy stifled him, and made his batting quite poor.

I still think Yorkshire will win it.  But we have Jeetan Patel, so who knows? :)

Bell, Trott and Hain in the middle order is as strong as Yorkshire's. Then we have Ambrose Clarke, Woakes and Barker, thats a good lower middle order. If Barker and Woakes play all season we win the league because both will get 50 wickets and Jeetan will get 50 + so that will win us enough games in my view.

You know the last time Bell played all season was 2004. A year we won the title and Bell got 1700 championship runs. 

Edited by PaulC

50 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Bell, Trott and Hain in the middle order is as strong as Yorkshire's. Then we have Ambrose Clarke, Woakes and Barker, thats a good lower middle order. If Barker and Woakes play all season we win the league because both will get 50 wickets and Jeetan will get 50 + so that will win us enough games in my view.

You know the last time Bell played all season was 2004. A year we won the title and Bell got 1700 championship runs. 

Let's hope he's driven enough by England ambitions to get those runs again :)

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Let's hope he's driven enough by England ambitions to get those runs again :)

Yes but he's one of those players who loves playing for his county so he doesn't need the drive of playing for England to motivate himself. I hope so anyway! Any good for him with wickets falling all around, pity that player who used to play in the Birmingham league and scored a double hundred for warwickshire 2nds 11 years ago got those runs yesterday,

• 4 weeks later...

Tony Cozier: West Indian commentator dies aged 75

Legendary West Indian commentator Tony Cozier has died at the age of 75.

A familiar and respected voice around the world, the Barbadian will be remembered for a career in TV, radio and journalism spanning 58 years.

Born in Bridgetown in 1940, he made his BBC Test Match Special debut in 1966 and also wrote several books.

"Tony was the master of going between TV and radio ball-by-ball commentary. He was the master of both," said BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew.

"He's easily the best I've come across in 25 years at being able to do both disciplines."

The son of a journalist, Cozier studied journalism at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, and began commentating and writing on West Indian cricket in 1958.

He played hockey as a goalkeeper for Barbados and cricket as an opening batsman and wicketkeeper for two Barbados clubs, Wanderers and Carlton.

But he became a household name through his work with major media organisations throughout the world, including the BBC, Channel Nine and Sky.

In December 2011, he was awarded honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club for services to the game, and the press box at the Kensington Oval in Barbados is named after him.

...more on link

:(

Really sad.  You don't really get commentators like him any more, they're all ex-players who get paid to do it because of their name rather than if they're any good or not.  Not as bad as football, though.  It's a sad loss to the game, and not that long after Richie Benaud either.

• Like 1

Glad they've picked Vince in the squad for next week. I know nothing of Jake Ball.

Squad:

Alastair Cook (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Stuart Broad, Nick Compton, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Vince.

Â