Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

thats a bold call, wouldnt have him ahead of Gilchrist or Hayden though

Don't think either of those are even in the top 3 greatest limited over batsmen ever!

• Like 1

Sir Viv? To be fair, I obviously haven't seen half as much of Richards as I have modern day players, and players who played in my era. I know he is often considered the greatest ODI batsman though. Personally, I'd rate the likes of Gilchrist, Tendulka, Dhoni, Sangakara, etc higher than Kohli. De Villers and Gayle would have a great shout at being the current number one too. All about opinions I suppose, which is what makes cricket chat enjoyable.  

Kohli is at the peak of his powers, his record chasing in any format is quite staggering and incomparable to others. 

But he's got another 10 years of cricket in him, only then we can put him alongside or even ahead of the other greats mentioned. 

The game has moved on from Gilchrist and Hayden. He's 27 and has already hit 25 odi hundreds only 15 more than Hayden and 5 more than Gilchrist. He averages over 100 when chasing in t20 and averages over 50 in international t20 cricket so yes I think he's already the greatest ever in one day cricket not test cricket.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

The game has moved on from Gilchrist and Hayden. He's 27 and has already hit 25 odi hundreds only 15 more than Hayden and 5 more than Gilchrist. He averages over 100 when chasing in t20 and averages over 50 in international t20 cricket so yes I think he's already the greatest ever in one day cricket not test cricket.

If he keeps it up, he certainly will be. Statistically he's remarkable, and he's an excellent fielder and leader too. What makes him so wonderful to watch - for me - is that he has achieved such success in the one day game by playing exquisitely-timed traditional cricket shots, rather than the modern trend of brute force and baseball hits.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

If he keeps it up, he certainly will be. Statistically he's remarkable, and he's an excellent fielder and leader too. What makes him so wonderful to watch - for me - is that he has achieved such success in the one day game by playing exquisitely-timed traditional cricket shots, rather than the modern trend of brute force and baseball hits.

Yes the skill factor of his batting is what stands out. AB is pretty good too but not quite as effective, or hasn't done it when it matters like Kohli. No doubt Sachin is the better batsman overall, Kohli failed in England in the tests because of his weakness outside offstump. Kohli can easily pass Sachin for one days runs and hundreds though.

Yes both Stokes and Jordan did well at the death and Moeen getting that wicket of Williamson and only going for 10 off 2 overs set the ball rolling. our strength is our batting we should get these.

Â