Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Brook obviously not the second coming of Bradman that I was led to believe.

Yes lots of players make good starts to their test careers then get found out. Whatever happened to Gary Ballance.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes lots of players make good starts to their test careers then get found out. Whatever happened to Gary Ballance.

He lost it ;)

• Haha 2

Another brain dead sky to a boundary fielder. Duckett realises he can hit the ball along the ground right?

Survives thanks to Starc dragging it along the floor. The catch rule needs to be no contact with the floor at all or the catch is grounded. This whole "fingers partially under the ball" is nonsense

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Survives thanks to Starc dragging it along the floor. The catch rule needs to be no contact with the floor at all or the catch is grounded. This whole "fingers partially under the ball" is nonsense

It's a bit of nonsense though. He was totally in control of the ball, both hands around it, the catch was complete. 

He wasn't then in charge of his body so he had to stabilise his body or injure himself. 

It's like saying no catch if a player throws the ball high in the air in celebration after a successful catch and fails to catch it again. 

Edited by sidcow

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a bit of nonsense though. He was totally in control of the ball, both hands around it, the catch was complete. 

He wasn't then in charge of his body so he had to stabilise his body or injure himself. 

It's like saying no catch if a player throws the ball high in the air in celebration after a successful catch and fails to catch it again. 

Think this is the rule though if the player throws it before having it under control? Vaguely remember a SA fielder doing this in the 90s or early 2000s … 

I always thought that if you throe the ball up in the air you are in control of the ball but if you catch it and you fall to the ground  yet you don't have fingers under the ball and ball touches ground not out. 

Ponting moaning about it but then hes biased. 

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I actually think it was the right decision, the catch is the whole motion including (if you’re diving) the going to ground bit, he dragged the ball clearly along the ground with no fingers underneath so not out for me, and that’s not being biased.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't have had too many complaints had it been given out to be honest. Did feel like a bit of a make up call after the Root dismissal in the first innings. 

11 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I naively thought if you rub the ball along the ground it was not out.

Me too.  It would have really confused things if given out imo. Like the handball rule in football 

26 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I wouldn't have had too many complaints had it been given out to be honest. Did feel like a bit of a make up call after the Root dismissal in the first innings. 

Don't know, the Root one he clearly had his hand under the ball not over the ball like Stark

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Disagree.

In the latter given here, a player would be control of themselves and the ball at point of catching, so they're able to throw it up in the air.  Everything in control.  Starc has the ball in his hands, but is still in the catching motion (as it were) and can't complete it properly.  He can't throw the ball in celebration or do anything with it, because he's not in control.

If a ball was slogged and momentarily caught by a player who spilled the ball as they stumbled backwards, then they aren't in control and it'd be not out.  This is the same thing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

You need to be in control of your body and the ball, he was still sliding when the ball was in contact with the ground so seems a pretty simple 'not out' for me.

Agreed didn’t see it in real time but watching the clip  not sure what the fuss is all about. Imagine he’s in the slips and catches the ball and then slides the ball along along the ground. Not a catch. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

Â