Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Is limpid the only long term android user left not on a nexus? I feel like a kind of a traitor on the Galaxy Nexus tbh. :?

I'm still on SGS2, but I run custom so it's more or less a Nexus :) Not completely butter on JB yet though, missing closed source stuff.

I cannot believe how much I use the nexus 7. I dont think I have put my Tab 10.1 on in the last 10 days.

Ever since I got the Nexus 7 I've been trying to explain to everyone who'll listen that the size is perfect. I used to have a 10" Xoom and never used it, I now realise it was because it was too big and heavy. Now I've got the Nexus 7 I take it with me everywhere and don't worry about it. Part of it is the low price and the rest is due to the low weight and small size.

I reckon the iPad mini will be a lot better than a normal iPad because it will be the first really portable iPad. Again, you kind of feel that Google have missed a bit of a window of opportunity here with the Nexus 7 not being marketed heavily enough. With how it works and feels for the price, they should be everywhere and adverts should be all over the papers, billboards and TV constantly. The iPad mini will come out and everyone will wow about how much more portable they are and the Nexus 7 that got the form factor right in the first place will be missed out by the mainstream media.

I'm getting increasingly tempted by a Nexus 7.

I've always been of the opinion that a tablet would be a waste of money for me, it's a pure luxury and doesn't offer much more than my phone does.

But at £150, it's very tempting. Might be a potential christmas/birthday present from the family.

Any other similar tablets on the horizon that might trump the nexus 7?

Google bought a fair amount of Nexus 7 spots (example) during the NFL games US broadcasts on Sunday (at least one per quarter, all three networks). I suspect if you tally the Sunday ad spend, Google only comes out behind Ford, Toyota, GM, FiatChrysler, AB, and maybe MillerCoors or Samsung (Samsung did do billboards on all three networks).

Not like I was keeping track, but I saw at least a dozen spots each for Nexus 7 and SGS3 and maybe two spots for the iPhone 5's panoramic photos (both spots of which were probably bought by Sprint).

Which then leads me on to my next criticism of Google at the moment. They concentrate too much on the US. I suppose they know they're doing really well in the UK so don't have to push too hard over here, where the battle against Apple is much harder in the US.

Some criticisms of Android here by the rapidly growing in fame Armando Ferreira

I agree with most, and the Play Store list reset is a particular rage of mine.

Can't see any. As this is a bit of a loss-leader for Google, anything similar made by someone else will be much more expensive.

Which then leads me on to my next criticism of Google at the moment. They concentrate too much on the US. I suppose they know they're doing really well in the UK so don't have to push too hard over here, where the battle against Apple is much harder in the US.

The US is a much, much bigger market than the UK though, they have an extra 250,000,000 people in their population and chasing that is always going to take priority. We are probably the most important secondary market given how quickly we get products compared to other countries.

I'd argue that the Nexus 7 is constrained my manufacturing at the moment, not marketing. They are selling out anyway so there is no point in having a blanket marketing campaign like Apple or Samsung do. I dont think there is any way that Asus can produce millions of Nexus 7's a month for retail.

Is limpid the only long term android user left not on a nexus? I feel like a kind of a traitor on the Galaxy Nexus tbh. :?

I have a Nexus 7. I'll probably buy the next Nexus phone though.

Can't see any. As this is a bit of a loss-leader for Google, anything similar made by someone else will be much more expensive.

Cheers.

May well make it's way onto the christmas list then :D

As a point of reference, a screen replacement for my Captivate Glide (4" Super AMOLED (pentile), 800x480) is about $130 (so about 100 quid-ish). Now, it's a lower-volume part than an S3 screen, and maybe (though I doubt it) being a slider makes the screen more complex (it almost surely makes a screen replacement a bit tougher), but I can't imagine that a similar kit for an S3 would be anything but dramatically more expensive.

(and on that note, I (once again) dropped it from a decent height this morning... screen cracked a little, and everything works fine, except for the SIM interface (SIM tested fine, but the phone can't see a SIM; WiFi and radio antenna test fine). So it's now an Android-based iPod Touch with a physical keyboard. It's about 12 hours later, and I'm still jonesing :( )

((and to top things off, my clock radio which has served me long enough to now be able to vote (got it for Christmas 1993) finally gave up the ghost this morning... :( ))

(((it's striking how much of an emotional connection one can develop with their electronics, even the mundane ones)))

Don't you think this HTC One X+ is exactly why HTC are in trouble?

What they've essentially done is outdated their headline phone after just over 4 months. Which is just going to increase the number of phones they'll need to update for no reason as this runes Sense 4.0+. While it's also going to irritate owners of the One X.

They could have just increased the storage and battery size of the One X and given it a new model number. So the phone performance and firmware stays the same and so less phones to update.

I'm not buying any HTC phone unless it's a Nexus one. The company would just annoy me with this kind of sh1t. Are people who bought the HTC Sensation last summer ever getting JellyBean for example??

I have seen zero rumours.

Some people are thinking that Google might move the launch of new phone to early next year to tie in with the version of Android.

I read this too, doesnt make sense to release anew one until KLP is available especially as all the shops I have been in seem to be pucshing the galaxy nexus with Jellybean now.

all the shops I have been in seem to be pucshing the galaxy nexus with Jellybean now.

Really? Last time I went in Carphone Whorehouse with a mate looking for a Galaxy Nexus, the sales people thought he was mad asking for one of them.

"er, not seen any in months mate. We had a couple in but they didn't sell so sent them back. Sure you're not thinking of an S3?"

Well the rumours are from the photos taken from a device with similar model number to Galaxy Nexus. Maybe Samsung wanted to release an updated Galaxy Nexus so they can keep a slice of the vanilla android community.

Google are probably looking to a new oem partner for the next nexus and Samsung may have asked can they keep the branding and Google link for an updated Galaxy Nexus.

Â