Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Curious thing. In my recent week in Majorca, I found that my (Orange SanFran) battery drained MUCH quicker than it does in England. And that was with hardly using the phone at all - certainly less than I would do at home. No unnecessary apps running, wi-fi switched off, and all. Strange.

The new (wave of?) Nexus phone(s) is due in a matter of weeks. I am waiting on that before doing anything. Seems odd you would be so interested in six month old hardware when shiny shiny new things are so damn close.

Id love to wait but I really wont be able to afford the brand spanking new wave of phones though, literally my budget WILL top out at £400 due to christmas coming up and other stuff I have to pay for.

Obviously your choice is your choice but if I may respond.

It seems your only problem (apart from it feeling cheap to you which is subjective) is that the on-screen nav buttons take up some of the screen real-estate?

If so, there are a couple of things with that

1. The buttons are only there for when you don't need all of the screen. e.g. when you're watching a video on youtube, or playing a game they shift out of the way and you get to use all of the screen.

2. You can quite easily install (being a Nexus) something like AOKP or ParanoidAndroid where you can modify the nav bar to either not be there, be smaller, or be a tablet format where the notifications and nav are all on the bottom.

3. You can remove the Google Search widget and gain space by using another launcher such as Nova.

4. You can easily modify the screen density to effectively make your GN a mini-tablet and get loads on there.

The difference with having a Nexus is that you can do all of the above easily as it's open and there is plenty of community development. If you move to a non-Nexus and find something you don't like you're pretty much stuck and wouldn't be able to change it.

I appreciate all that but I have no idea how to do any of that and knowing my luck with technology it would go pear shaped and the phone would be useless. I dont know what it is but sometimes you just dont click with a phone for whatever reason, it doesnt do anything badly, like I said its a great phone and yes my only gripes with it are pretty much the screen issues and how it feels in the hand but also, its just a bit boring. I really do appreciate the advice that you have given before purchasing it and after once ive had it but im just not clicking with it.

Curious thing. In my recent week in Majorca, I found that my (Orange SanFran) battery drained MUCH quicker than it does in England. And that was with hardly using the phone at all - certainly less than I would do at home. No unnecessary apps running, wi-fi switched off, and all. Strange.

Further from the base station, perhaps?

Further from the base station, perhaps?

Just to add to this, if your phone is struggling for signal, it'll actively search for it until it finds the signal again. This drains your battery quite quickly. For me, this also makes my phone quite hot.

After all the posturing over the One X i just have gone an ordered an S3. Thanks for the tip off on expansys Conor :thumb: , could have got it cheaper second hand but you always take a risk with that route. My brother lent me a few extra quid to tide me over until payment for the nexus comes through. Its the dark red/claret one with the red lights on, looks sleek as ****. Cant wait.

Any idea why I get this:

failed to update firmware due to network or server problem.Try software update via settings > Software Update > Update or try using PC Kies later

Because Touchwiz is a piece of shit. I know that's not exactly helpful, but it's true!

Just to add to this, if your phone is struggling for signal, it'll actively search for it until it finds the signal again. This drains your battery quite quickly. For me, this also makes my phone quite hot.

You should see what being a train driver can do to your battery life. Hurtling through the Home Counties countryside at 100mph means my phone is constantly searching for a tower to connect to if I have it switched on when I'm at work.

• Like 1

I hope so! I keep watching videos of it, the red one looks like the villa claret. Are there any really good pouches or thin flip covers for it? Saw the official samsung flip cover but its not recommended by a lot of people as its quite poor quality. I'm not a big fan of clip on rubber/plastic cases as they always seem to detract from the beauty of the design and add unnecessary bulk.

I hope so! I keep watching videos of it, the red one looks like the villa claret. Are there any really good pouches or thin flip covers for it? Saw the official samsung flip cover but its not recommended by a lot of people as its quite poor quality. I'm not a big fan of clip on rubber/plastic cases as they always seem to detract from the beauty of the design and add unnecessary bulk.

a mate of mine has the official case and I think it looks class. Bought from amazon.

I use the Samsung flip cover and really like it. But there are others I like the look of too.

Nayson. I have just started using Nova, touchwiz is awful.

Any idea why I get this:

failed to update firmware due to network or server problem.Try software update via settings > Software Update > Update or try using PC Kies later

It's to do with a server overload/busy problem. Samsungs servers are too busy to push out the update at this time. Try again later. It's happened before.

• Like 1

Ingram, the red one looks awesome. I wish the original came in that colour.

dodgyknees, touchwiz is better than stock imo, well when running the same version that is. If they had it working as slick as jellybean, which we can hope they do get it as good when JB lands. But JB hasn't landed and when it does for the S3, I'll use it for 2 days and then finally sell it. The go for absurd 2nd hand prices on ebay.

There's something about the galaxy nexus, it's so totally flawed, yet so simply robust and usable. Plus JB is OS perfection.

• Like 1

Couple of annoying things with my S3 at the moment.

That annoying message about needing to update my Samsung Account has come back. Do I NEED a Samsung account? Might just delete it and see if it **** off.

Secondly, I'm quite regularly getting a message that my SD card has been unexpectedly removed...Preparing SD card.

I can't pin poitn what causes it. Seems relatively random.

Googled it and it seems it's relatively common, but can't find a solution for it.

Doesn't effect the performance, everythign stored on the SD card still works fine. I'm just a bit worried it will ead to a problem/

Â