Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Some rumours this morning of a November launch for an LG Nexus but also that the Nexus name will not be limited to one manufacturer. Certain levels of hardware will have to be met to use the Nexus brand but more worrying will be that a certain level of UI customisation will be allowed, all be it using some new system which I assume will not affect the underlying OS.

On the way to work this morning listening to The AAA podcast they said that some research had been done to tablet use in the USA and last year Android use was 15% of the tablet market. This year it is 48% with Apple down to just 52%, a lot of this was down to the succes of the Kindle Fire which had taken 25% market share.

However this research was done before the release of the Nexus 7 which might just swing it over in favour of Android being the biggest user base in the Tablet Market.

No wonder Apple is worried........

I'm not buying any HTC phone unless it's a Nexus one. The company would just annoy me with this kind of sh1t. Are people who bought the HTC Sensation last summer ever getting JellyBean for example??

Agreed. I have a One X, and I'm fairly happy with it (apart from the shit battery, and the occasionally flickering screen), but if I wasn't comfortable putting a custom ROM on it, I'd be pretty pissed that they're dicking around with making a slightly better One X, when their current 'flagship' product is still on the previous version of Android.

My next handset will definitely be the new Nexus device, it seems to be the only way to get any sort of after-sales care for the handset.

HTC didn't need to make this handset. Just release a battery upgrade and new 64gb model of the One X and update it to Jellybean. Wasted programmers on this phone. They should have been working on the existing One X. It's not like it needed a hardware bump anyway.

So, Google are trying to solve the Nexus v OEM phone battle by converging the two and making the first steps into every phone being a Nexus.

Every manufacturer will have the opportunity to make their own Nexus phone, but they will have to comply with stringent rules that Google set so the experience isn't diminished.

It will have to have a base of stock AOSP from Google in the same way as current Nexus phones, but manufacturer overlays can be provided via a customisation centre, where users can turn them on or off.

This fixes many problems in one hit and it's a fantastic idea in my opinion.

* No-one feels bad for buying a phone with a manufacturer overlay anymore, because as long as they choose a Nexus, they can have either.

* Users get timely roll-outs of new Android versions, and manufacturer overlays _shouldn't_ be able to slow this process.

* Users can choose between different phones offering different hardware specs, without worrying about how bad they are at releasing updates. e.g. I'll be waiting to see if Sony do one so I can get a good camera.

Also it means that a big portion of R&D is taken off the manufacturers' hands when OS updates are rolled out, as Google will be building and releasing new Android versions.

Massive win here I think.

Its probably the only way I would buy another Samsung Handset. The S3 hasnt got 4.1 yet (although its close) if Google release 4.2 next month then it will be the end of 2013 Q1 before the S3 gets it.

Too long to wait IMHO.

But mykey you only mention Samsung there. They'll still be the first to get 4.1 onto their phone, and nexus handsets aside. So to the average consumer if Samsung keep hitting an update cycle of 3 months after aosp release for updating their headline phones then most will be more than happy.

We're android veterans, we are not normal consumers.

If you buy a handset from LG, Motorola or Sony you get what you deserve imo. Launching devices with 4.0 says it all. LG say the optimum G will get 4.1 early next year. Total joke, I hope that handset fails miserably.

I like the rumours about nexus branding that Darren outlined there.

really bad people, giffgaff changing so 10 quid only gets 1gb Internet. Then 12 quid gets unlimited but no tethering?!

**** c*nts, this means no wireless hot spot being allowed? What the ****. This isn't America ffs.

The 10 quid goody bag never included tethering and people were suspended when they were caught doing so. The new goody bay does allow tethering. I'm quite happy with that. I would also have been happy with a daily charge for tethering and told them so in the consultation.

I wonder if we should have a separate thread for giffgaff.

Ok spill over Ryanair rage is why I was so angry in my last post.

So you're telling me my 10 quid a month unlimited Internet doesn't allow a hot spot. So when I've used it it's been a breach of t&c?

I assume it's impossible to tell if you use it infrequent, but if people use itas their home broadband it'd flag up.

Â