Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Regarding SwiftKey - get the free version or the £2.99? Do you think it may be worth waiting to see if it drops in the sales if so?

On my main home screen the apps I've got are Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Chrome, Natwest, Fotmob (football scores), Play Store, Favourites and Chrome. A swipe to the left I get a music player which I think I'll keep and to the right it's empty so was going to throw something in there (also how do you do it)

What's the battery widget?

Download battery widget reborn. SwiftKey is the best paid app, worththe 3 quid no ddoubt about it.

Long press on the home screen and choose to add widget and you should get a list there. Alternatively in the app drawer there should be a tab at the top of the screen for widgets, choose from there.

I don't have HTC Sense so don't know how they implement android.

Yep, screen size plus it's learning algorithm means fastest typing you can get. Techradar said they could type 30% faster with it than on the iphone 5. It's superb, android only too. It's just the beginning of what amazing apps can only exist on android.

As for movie players, mx player is great. Download the codec too, both in app store. You can then play any video file you like.

Quick heads up - if you have a particularly jumpy bank, and you buy one of the cheap apps on offer then make a reasonably large purchase, expect a call from your bank's fraud department.

Like I did this morning.

Yep, screen size plus it's learning algorithm means fastest typing you can get. Techradar said they could type 30% faster with it than on the iphone 5. It's superb, android only too. It's just the beginning of what amazing apps can only exist on android.

As for movie players, mx player is great. Download the codec too, both in app store. You can then play any video file you like.

My phone came with Swype, but I'm happy enough with the stock Samsung keyboard.

I can almost guarantee I can beat anyone using SwiftKey in typing speed.

800px-Samsung_Captivate_Glide_-_SGH-I927_-_018.JPG

;)

(that said, I've gone back to Gingerbread, as the ICS update from Samsung broke the keyboard...)

((though I did finally switch from the stock TouchWiz launcher to a backport of the ICS launcher... I now have 6 rows of icons on my home screens (not counting the dock) and am enjoying showing it to iPhone users who are raving about a 4-inch screen with 5 rows of icons...))

If I make an app recommendation, though:

Google Authenticator

Fewer than half-a-million downloads, so it's not widely used, but turning on 2 factor authentication for your Google Account is Something You Should Just Do.

Basically, once you enable 2-factor, in addition to your password, there's a set of six-digit codes that have to be entered in order to login to your Google account. This app manages those codes for you.

Wow. I ok, so just downloaded the SwiftKey app. It's actually **** magic. Far better than stock HTCs version on my Desire. I Only thing preventing the 5star rating is the lack of preloaded expletives, other than that it's fab.

I like getting to a point in a sentence and then just pressing space and seeing what Swiftkey guesses I'll be saying.

Like here for example: if you haven't seen it yet. Be the first time in the 100m Hurdles was faster than the time that won the lottery.

:D This amuses me more than it should

Â