• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Milner will go so that is the main thing.

However, I am sick and tired of season after season knowing what the Villa need, and then watching every other club doing business and us leaving it until the last day of the transfer deadline.

Foster having medical at Blues, Chamack having medical at Arsenal, Spurs having already bought Santos, Man City already bidding for Milner, Barca buying Villa and talking with Arsenal about Cesc, , Henry to Red Bul, Blue bid 8m for NZogbial etc...etc...etc... -and they are just the high profile ones

MON - you have had 8 months to work out what you want - now go and buy him before the likes of Milner think the same as Barry did !!.

I know it is only 3 days after the season is finished but jesus - why are we the only club who seems not to plan for these things.

Teams fly out for South Africa within the next 7 days - dependant on the team, some are going sooner.

It will then be late July before deals can be done.

I get the distinct impression, come July 25th - we still won't have signed anybody, still won't have decided on a shirt sponsor , and still won't have released our kit !

And it is bloody frustrating !

However, I am sick and tired of season after season knowing what the Villa need, and then watching every other club doing business and us leaving it until the last day of the transfer deadline.

Foster having medical at Blues, Chamack having medical at Arsenal, Spurs having already bought Santos, Man City already bidding for Milner, Barca buying Villa and talking with Arsenal about Cesc, , Henry to Red Bul, Blue bid 8m for NZogbial etc...etc...etc... -and they are just the high profile ones

MON - you have had 8 months to work out what you want - now go and buy him before the likes of Milner think the same as Barry did !!.

I know it is only 3 days after the season is finished but jesus - why are we the only club who seems not to plan for these things.

Teams fly out for South Africa within the next 7 days - dependant on the team, some are going sooner.

I get the distinct impression, come July 25th - we still won't have signed anybody, still won't have decided on a shirt sponsor , and still won't have released our kit !

I agree with this, and don't think it would have been ridiculous to try for Henry for a year even? he's old, but his class and ability to turn a game are priceless, MON would never do such a thing though. there are a few top player on the way out who would be worth a punt, on frees, but obviously on big wages.

I agree that it'd be a bad move for Milner to go to Citeh. There's a real risk that he'd just be "flavour for a seaon" until Mancini gets the sack.

So many players make the big money/big salary moves and just end up warming the bench, and I really think Milner is one of those who's only happy when he's playing.

There's been a clear improvement in our season - OK, only slightly better in the league, but that's not to be sniffed at considering the increased competition from the likes of Citeh, Spurs etc. But add our domestic cup runs into the pot and we've had a good year.

I think Milner likes it here. Cast your mind back nearly 4 years to a folorn James Milner begging Freddy Shepherd to sell him to Villa, only for the plug to be pulled.

He knows we've been good to him, and will be even better, and he's going to be playing week-in, week-out.

I agree that it'd be a bad move for Milner to go to Citeh. There's a real risk that he'd just be "flavour for a seaon" until Mancini gets the sack.

So many players make the big money/big salary moves and just end up warming the bench, and I really think Milner is one of those who's only happy when he's playing.

There's been a clear improvement in our season - OK, only slightly better in the league, but that's not to be sniffed at considering the increased competition from the likes of Citeh, Spurs etc. But add our domestic cup runs into the pot and we've had a good year.

I think Milner likes it here. Cast your mind back nearly 4 years to a folorn James Milner begging Freddy Shepherd to sell him to Villa, only for the plug to be pulled.

He knows we've been good to him, and will be even better, and he's going to be playing week-in, week-out.

agree with all of this. think jimmy's made of sterner stuff and is not one to follow the wallet.

Brilliant, it's started earlier than normal!

Get a grip! How do you know MON isn't hard at work? How on earth do you know that we're going to leave it to deadline day?

We have months to wait before the start of the season and you're already worried we're being left behind. What about all the other teams who are doing nothing in the Prem?

Milner to City would be a similar move to Bentley to Spurs.

I don't mind all these links to our players because they happen, they always have and always will.

We had all the links last year about Young (suprisingly after he won Young Player of the Year as well!) but he's still here.

If City come with a £30m bid and Milner really thinks that he will continue to improve up in Manchester then he'll probably be sold (but both instances are unlikely imo).

Get a grip! How do you know MON isn't hard at work? How on earth do you know that we're going to leave it to deadline day?We have months to wait before the start of the season and you're already worried we're being left behind. What about all the other teams who are doing nothing in the Prem?

Maybe the last 5 transfer windows have given paul that idea.

I do not think it is up to the manager or owner, I think the player will make the decision

Generally speaking it is, because thats the way of the crooked football culture.

James Milner is an exception to the rule.

If you're already getting stressed then my god, you're in for a tough summer.

Relax, enjoy the nice weather (when it arrives), watch the World Cup, Wimbledon, Test matches and have a few beers.

It will be alright.

Nothing will happen until after the World Cup - that's when Milner will sit down with the club to discuss a contract extension.

If he's not happy with the offer, then we may listen to offers.

But until then - regardless of spurious and consistant tabloid 'exclusives' - Jimmy Milner will remain a Villa player and no offers will be entertained.

(IMO I fully expect JM to sign an extension with us too)

at least with milner we're in the driving seat, unlike with barry where we got screwed over for only £12m. here, if he does go, we will dictate the terms pretty much and get way over his valuation so at least we're not going to get bullied into selling him on the cheap

The £12 million we got for Barry paid for Collins and Dunne, who got screwed?, not us.

what i mean is that because he only had a year left we weren't in a very strong position when it came to their offer. although milner only has an additional year on top of that it still makes a lot of difference in terms of our ability to drive up the priceif city really want him that much

Milner to City would be a similar move to Bentley to Spurs.

I don't mind all these links to our players because they happen, they always have and always will.

We had all the links last year about Young (suprisingly after he won Young Player of the Year as well!) but he's still here.

If City come with a £30m bid and Milner really thinks that he will continue to improve up in Manchester then he'll probably be sold (but both instances are unlikely imo).

I think Milner has made a bigger splash than Ashley Young did because Milner has thrived at international level too. Ash still has that question mark over him, but I think its fair to assume that Milner will collect 40-50 England caps if he stays injury free. He is definitely worth more than Ashley Young and I think other clubs will be more determined to get him.

I disagree with that Richard. I think Milner is very happy where he is and after the successful season he has had personally and on the international stage + getting recognition from his peers, I don't see a reason for him to leave nor a reason to want to. Plus we know his impeccable character means he wont be rocking any boats, certainly not this close-season.

On the other hand I think it is possible that Villa might feel that perhaps Milner's considerable market value might be worth more to us than he is - without knowing exactly how much we have at our disposal before player sales.

For me, if he goes, it will be because the club were made an offer they couldn't refuse.

Brian yes I can see what you are saying but I don't think it is diametrically opposed to my line to be honest! I have nothing to suspect Milner is unhappy yet or wants to go and if he is happy here and feels the club and he are heading in the same direction then I have no reason to suppose that will change.

All I am saying is that if he wants to go then he will go, that in this day and age the decision is resting more on the player than anyone else.

Even your point seems to back mine up as you focus on whether he is happy or not, not on whether the decision is his or not

I do not think it is up to the manager or owner, I think the player will make the decision

I think you're right. And I think Milner's decision will be "No".

I absolutely share the hope that this proves to be correct

Brian yes I can see what you are saying but I don't think it is diametrically opposed to my line to be honest! I have nothing to suspect Milner is unhappy yet or wants to go and if he is happy here and feels the club and he are heading in the same direction then I have no reason to suppose that will change.

All I am saying is that if he wants to go then he will go, that in this day and age the decision is resting more on the player than anyone else.

Even your point seems to back mine up as you focus on whether he is happy or not, not on whether the decision is his or not

If we're discussing how a transfer is generally triggered then yes you are right, the player tends to have the power.

However, in this particular instance regarding James Milner, I think the only trigger would be the club because I think James is perfectly happy where he is.

That's why I disagreed with you about James Milner. Mine was not a statement about transfers in general. Only about his situation.