What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

The quotes from MON today about Milner sound to me like a "come and get him" plea. It'll be difficult to keep him? Not if you tell them to bugger off. The other worrying thing is that he used a plural, players, not player. I wonder whether we have other bids on the table for our better players and the Liverpool/Ashley Young thing might be true? Interesting times ahead.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every team should just agree with each other to not sell to City that would be funny,just cut them off in the transfer market and deal with everyone else..

Unfortunately with player power and the already-established power of money, that will never happen. A player can say "I only want to go to City" if he knows they want him, and the club's hands are tied.

Something alot different to this than when Barry was seemingly off to liverpool. MON almost didn't seem too bothered about it. I think he feels 30m or there abouts would be fantastic money. I trust in O'Neill, I really do.

The fact that Milner hasn't said anything yet speaks volumes. It's getting a bit boring now for us all. Personally if Villa want one or more of our players then I think they should push for players plus cash. Other clubs will inflate their prices for players as they know you will have loads of our petro-dollars and City are known to under sell (SWP to Chelsea aside).

I'm waiting for MON to call a press conference. He'll sit down on his lonesome in front of the press looking all troubled, and he'll thank everyone for coming. He'll then mention that Milner has not yet signed a new contract and that discussions are still ongoing. He'll be bombarded with questions that he can't answer and he'll begin to panic.

At this point a man in the press steps forward. He has a long ponytail and a bushy beard and he's wearing sunglasses. He steps forward again so he is in front of the table. Suddenly, he pulls his beard, whips off his glasses and removes his coat. IT WAS JAMES MILNER IN DISGUISE! He laughs, MON laughs, they hug, and then he signs a new contract there and then. They pose for photographs and leave the room.

MON's not really said anything there of any note.

yep. Same sort of things he was saying towards the end of last season.

Nothing new there for me.

I'm waiting for MON to call a press conference. He'll sit down on his lonesome in front of the press looking all troubled, and he'll thank everyone for coming. He'll then mention that Milner has not yet signed a new contract and that discussions are still ongoing. He'll be bombarded with questions that he can't answer and he'll begin to panic.

At this point a man in the press steps forward. He has a long ponytail and a bushy beard and he's wearing sunglasses. He steps forward again so he is in front of the table. Suddenly, he pulls his beard, whips off his glasses and removes his coat. IT WAS JAMES MILNER IN DISGUISE! He laughs, MON laughs, they hug, and then he signs a new contract there and then. They pose for photographs and leave the room.

:lol:

If only football press conferences were more like old school wrestling storylines ey!

True, I may have exagerrated a bit :winkold:.. My main annoyance is people comparing footballers to normal workers because even if the comparison is made fairly, it's still a completely different kettle of fish.

If I was offered a years wages then yes, I'd change jobs. But the fact is that I need those wages to pay my rent, car insurance, food and to fuel my car & season ticket.

Unless a footballer is planning to buy an island - they really don't need the extra money.

its a nice theory but if its true then why do so many people seemingly move for more money. Ashley Cole demanded a transfer over 5k a week didnt he? Look at pretty much everyone whos signed for City including a former Villa captain with over ten years service. Face it, a footballer will leave to double his wages, it matter regardless of what they're earning.

Greed

True, I may have exagerrated a bit :winkold:.. My main annoyance is people comparing footballers to normal workers because even if the comparison is made fairly, it's still a completely different kettle of fish.

If I was offered a years wages then yes, I'd change jobs. But the fact is that I need those wages to pay my rent, car insurance, food and to fuel my car & season ticket.

Unless a footballer is planning to buy an island - they really don't need the extra money.

I've met an awful lot of millionaires, and even a couple of billionaires in my working life, and not one of them would turn down an extra £1m-£2m a year just because you might consider that they have enough already. £5m+ extra a five year contract is a huge amount of money, and I'm sorry, but expecting them to turn it down because you think that Milner has some cozy sense of loyalty just isn't going to happen.

If I was earning £50K a week at Villa, and Blues offered me £100K a week, I'd be off down the road so quick I'd make Craig Gardner's loyalty seem like Shep in comparison.

I believe you and I'm sure there are lots of people who want more money even though they have enough for 10 lifetimes.

But I honestly wouldn't care about an extra £30k a week if I was already earning £50k a week. I'm sure I'm in the minority and I'm sure people will think I'm lying or say "if you ever earn XXX amount then you'll still want more".. but I wouldn't want the extra money.

Money isn't everything and it doesn't equal happiness. But these footballers (and other people who you've mentioned) seem to think it does.

I've met an awful lot of millionaires, and even a couple of billionaires in my working life, and not one of them would turn down an extra £1m-£2m a year just because you might consider that they have enough already. £5m+ extra a five year contract is a huge amount of money, and I'm sorry, but expecting them to turn it down because you think that Milner has some cozy sense of loyalty just isn't going to happen.

If I was earning £50K a week at Villa, and Blues offered me £100K a week, I'd be off down the road so quick I'd make Craig Gardner's loyalty seem like Shep in comparison.

I believe you and I'm sure there are lots of people who want more money even though they have enough for 10 lifetimes.

But I honestly wouldn't care about an extra £30k a week if I was already earning £50k a week. I'm sure I'm in the minority and I'm sure people will think I'm lying or say "if you ever earn XXX amount then you'll still want more".. but I wouldn't want the extra money.

Money isn't everything and it doesn't equal happiness. But these footballers (and other people who you've mentioned) seem to think it does.

I think that's an extremely bold comment from someone who knows they will never be faced with such a situation.

Hell, I'd love to say that had I made it as a pro footballer that I would have been loyal, particularly to the Villa but by the time these guys make it to being professional they've already lost pretty much any allegiance they had to any one club at least, from a supporters point of view anyway.

I find it embarrassing to question their desire to move for the sake of money, it really is a very simple equation. Whether you're a factory worker, office manager or professional sportsman if you receive a call asking you if you want to do the exact same thing somewhere else (and lets face it, somewhere ultimately nicer with better facilities and more opportunity of earning bonus commission) you would be unambitious and/or stubborn to not accept it.

It's amazing how high some people's horses reach during summer transfer windows.

also, at the end of the day loyalty is a two-way street as well............. id say across football there are a lot more players who are sold when they dont want to leave clubs as opposed players forcing moves........

Bloody hell he hasnt even gone yet and yet some are already slagging him off and calling him names.

James Milner is not a fan of Aston Villa, when will people get in their head that its not just a sport to them its also their living and all though he gets paid amounts that most of us cant comprehend now, he can get paid even more elsewhere with a better chance of silverware.

If we hadnt of bought him from Newcastle he still would of turned out to be a decent player but just at another club.

Perhaps we should show him some loyalty and respect by not calling him names and slagging him off before he's even gone.

Good luck to him he hasnt killed anyone he's played his heart out for us and given his all and now he can get paid even more with a massive signing on fee.

Most of us can sit in our avergage houses with average cars saying we wouldnt leave if we got paid that much, but honestly if someone dangled a £2.5m signing on fee and a salary that of double what we are on its very holier than thou to say I wouldnt take it.

As ive said before there are a handful of players in the world who are irreplacable and he isnt one. £25m is a ridiculous amount of money and if we can get players like Stephen Ireland (who is hardly a massive drop in talent) and a few others with it then is fine by me, again good luck to him.

I wish people would stop comparing footballers to people with normal jobs.

It's nothing like us having a "2.5m signing on fee" dangled in front of us. For the amount of money these guys are on - it's more like the equivalent of dangling £500 in front of us. Is an extra £30k a week really going to make a difference to someone who already earns £50k a week? No.

Yes, Houlston, he hasn't left, people are jumping the gun a bit.

But I think the point is that if he did leave then he will be leaving for the money and for the POSSIBILITY, and nothing else, of City challenging for greater honours. They don't have the Champions League and they haven't won the Prem.

He will be leaving us for a team who will be playing in the exact same competitions as us. So if it happens then it seems he's moving for the money and not much else that is guaranteed.

Of course the extra money makes a difference, why only set himself up for life when he work hard for 15 years and make his chidlrens life as comfortable as possible for life too. The vast majority of the population makes career/company changes based on money apart from that small few in a specific job for a pure love of it.

No idea why footballers have some sort of moral obligation to care so deeply for the people chanting their name and never leave them behind. I'll still think Milner is great if he goes, lost respect for Barry when he did purely because of the bollocks he talked in the press about going off to play in the Champions Leauge and win things right away.

also, at the end of the day loyalty is a two-way street as well............. id say across football there are a lot more players who are sold when they dont want to leave clubs as opposed players forcing moves........

Your comment regarding James Milner a few pages back is a disgrace imo

I think that's an extremely bold comment from someone who knows they will never be faced with such a situation.

Hell, I'd love to say that had I made it as a pro footballer that I would have been loyal, particularly to the Villa but by the time these guys make it to being professional they've already lost pretty much any allegiance they had to any one club at least, from a supporters point of view anyway.

I find it embarrassing to question their desire to move for the sake of money, it really is a very simple equation. Whether you're a factory worker, office manager or professional sportsman if you receive a call asking you if you want to do the exact same thing somewhere else (and lets face it, somewhere ultimately nicer with better facilities and more opportunity of earning bonus commission) you would be unambitious and/or stubborn to not accept it.

It's amazing how high some people's horses reach during summer transfer windows.

How the hell would you know if I would never be faced with a similar situation?

This is the exact type of reply I knew I would get from someone so small-minded that they can't consider that there are people in the world who don't value money above everything else.

For your information, I play in a band and it'd be my dream if I could live off my band and nothing else. If I got paid £50k for an album deal - that'd do me fine for 3 years of living. I'd be happy to stay with a label that I was comfortable with, and let me play music how I wanted to, for years and years.

If a bigger label came and offered me more money to do a more mainstream album. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT IT. I would prefer to be paid money that I knew I could live off - even if it meant I couldn't buy amazing cars etc.

Now can you understand how people could reject money???

Or are you going to come out with another "High horse" comment??

The most important thing to me is my friends, my band and my family. If I was offered more money but it effected my band then I wouldn't accept it.

I'd like to think that there are a few footballers out there who could feel the same in slightly similar situations.

What if Milner is really happy at Villa, his girlfriend likes it in Birmingham? He's happy that he could have a team built around him and that he'll be playing in his favoured position - and playing over 40 games a season.

Now if he moves then he'll be moving for more money, possibly fewer games, possibly playing on the right midfield - where he isn't as effective, and an ever changing squad that could be unsettled. Yes, he might have the chance to win a few medals - but that's not a certainty. Man City could easily finish 5th and fail in the cups, again.

Is it really that difficult to think that some people are motivated by something other than money?

Milner isn't being paid more money to compromise himself at all so that example makes no sense. Hes being paid more to continue doing his job with an even greater chance of success at his job.

How the hell would you know if I would never be faced with a similar situation?

This is the exact type of reply I knew I would get from someone so small-minded that they can't consider that there are people in the world who don't value money above everything else.

For your information, I play in a band and it'd be my dream if I could live off my band and nothing else. If I got paid £50k for an album deal - that'd do me fine for 3 years of living. I'd be happy to stay with a label that I was comfortable with, and let me play music how I wanted to, for years and years.

If a bigger label came and offered me more money to do a more mainstream album. I WOULD NOT ACCEPT IT. I would prefer to be paid money that I knew I could live off - even if it meant I couldn't buy amazing cars etc.

Now can you understand how people could reject money???

Or are you going to come out with another "High horse" comment??

The most important thing to me is my friends, my band and my family. If I was offered more money but it effected my band then I wouldn't accept it.

I'd like to think that there are a few footballers out there who could feel the same in slightly similar situations.

What if Milner is really happy at Villa, his girlfriend likes it in Birmingham? He's happy that he could have a team built around him and that he'll be playing in his favoured position - and playing over 40 games a season.

Now if he moves then he'll be moving for more money, possibly fewer games, possibly playing on the right midfield - where he isn't as effective, and an ever changing squad that could be unsettled. Yes, he might have the chance to win a few medals - but that's not a certainty. Man City could easily finish 5th and fail in the cups, again.

Is it really that difficult to think that some people are motivated by something other than money?

Rob Im sure we have disagreed on this before - so Ill keep it short :winkold:

Its all relative im afraid mate. Sadly (albeit only a little) for James Milner, his career is cut short at mid 30's and there is no guarantee that he will have a career afterwards. Therefore I understand fully why you would want more and more money to be comfortbale.

Id even understand if his career lasted until he was 90.

Its just the way of the world. If your really not motivated by money then fair play to you. I wish it didnt play such a big part in my life, but I find it really really shite when I have no money in my pocket. Fair play and good luck to James Milner (if he goes). If there stupid enough to pay it, then take them for as much as you can Jimmy

to be fair many players have shown that money doesn't bring you to a club. You only need to look at Kaka and Man City to see that people would rather go somewhere with more success and history than earn more money.

It's why David Villa wouldn't even entertain a move to City.

Villa should offer milner £85k a week and leave it at that.

Quite funny how this season Barry will probably be a fringe player at City, considering their new signings.