The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

So I was a die hard Wrestling fan between roughly 1997-2004, and intermittently since, and I still buy WWE 2K every year and absolutely love it, and watch the odd PPV etc.

It's completely after my time, so maybe i've missed something important, but is there a reason why Dolph Ziggler hasn't had an extended push? He obviously had a couple of heavyweight title reigns a few years ago but in my eyes, he's everything a perennial heavyweight title contender should be, bar maybe a couple of inches too short at only 6 feet.

He's got the right look, he's charismatic, he plays both a face and a heel well, he seems to get really good crowd reaction. Every match i've seen him in has been pretty good. I see him as a bit of a WCW era DDP or undisputed title era Jericho type, but I admittedly don't watch every week.

I think AJ Styles has been pushed pretty well since his arrival. I was worried they would completely bury his character but he has been given the limelight and a big build up. I imagine we may see him involved in the IC title before long.

19 hours ago, omariqy said:

NXT is on Friday right?

It is, but if you're in the UK it doesn't start until 3am so me and my friends are going to watch it on Saturday instead. Takeover looks so much better than Wrestlemania, I'm super excited for Nakamura vs. Zayn

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

So I was a die hard Wrestling fan between roughly 1997-2004, and intermittently since, and I still buy WWE 2K every year and absolutely love it, and watch the odd PPV etc.

It's completely after my time, so maybe i've missed something important, but is there a reason why Dolph Ziggler hasn't had an extended push? He obviously had a couple of heavyweight title reigns a few years ago but in my eyes, he's everything a perennial heavyweight title contender should be, bar maybe a couple of inches too short at only 6 feet.

He's got the right look, he's charismatic, he plays both a face and a heel well, he seems to get really good crowd reaction. Every match i've seen him in has been pretty good. I see him as a bit of a WCW era DDP or undisputed title era Jericho type, but I admittedly don't watch every week.

I assume he's a bit small for Vince's taste.  I think the Zig Zag is a bit of a shit finisher too.

Going through photos on my phone and realised that I saw Daniel Bryans second to last match live. Watched the special doc on him on the Network and it was pretty moving. Not going to lie I did get a bit emotional when he was talking about his dad and thinking about mine at the same time. It was quite interesting to see how the other wrestlers liked and respected him.

5 hours ago, JB said:

Whenever I watch wrestling I'm struck by how shit most of the finishers are. Some of them look like they wouldn't even hurt. Cena's is the worst.

Good finishers don't have to look like they hurt, to be fair.

People's elbow, Socko, Stunner. All great. None of them would hurt much.

Edited by Stevo985

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It must be hard to think of a new signature finisher as most combinations of moves already exist.  I quite like Bray Wyatt's finisher, that looks like it hurts.  In fact in terms of character, theme music and finisher I think he is my favourite wrestler at the mo, albeit I don't watch as much as I used to.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I dunno... They need to at least look like they could keep someone down for a 3-count or make them submit. Socko looked like it killed (wasn't he trying to rip the lower jaw off?!) and having your face driven in a shoulder with a stunner looks like it could knock someone out IMO.

Agree with sharky that it must hard to think of new ones, though and that Wyatt's is cool. Too many wrestlers use the spear!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB said:

I dunno... They need to at least look like they could keep someone down for a 3-count or make them submit. Socko looked like it killed (wasn't he trying to rip the lower jaw off?!) and having your face driven in a shoulder with a stunner looks like it could knock someone out IMO.

Agree with sharky that it must hard to think of new ones, though and that Wyatt's is cool. Too many wrestlers use the spear!

Yeah I hate the spear, unless you're built like a tank like Goldberg or Rhyno.  I also hate that finishers nowadays get kicked out of so often.  A finisher should finish the job and get the 3 count or submission.

• Like 1

This always made me cringe

Ouch. Sami Zayn in his previous iteration btw. 

And yeah anything that involves spiking an opponent, such as piledrivers, but how about this rarer reverse frankensteiner from the ever impressive Mike Bailey 

Man I really need to get back into PWG

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

but the Hogan Leg Drop ;)

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

The difference is back in the day we had someone like JR calling them and he was great at selling just how "devastating" they were. (Also we were all quite a bit younger and somewhat more impressionable)

Now we have Michael Cole and JBL. "And Austin there with his finisher, he calls that the 'Stone Cold Stunner'."

"BALL GAME!"

Â