Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

Well my copy has plopped through the letterbox. I'll no doubt have a few first impressions to post once I get around to playing it in a short while.

This just in - yeah, it's pretty damn good on first impressions. Horse controls feel a little unintuitive at this stage but I'm willing to put that down to unfamiliarity on my part.

Looks very impressive and is certainly every bit as cinematic as GTAIV was too. The tone of the game is absolutely spot on when it comes to recreating the Wild West.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my two cents;

PS3 Version.

In the cinematics there are quite a few Jaggy's. which is a little dissapointing, but it only detracts about 5% of the feeling of whats going on.

I have done about 5 'missions' and 1 'side mission'

Very enjoyable so far. Voice acting is perfect (again). Graphics are just lovely to look out from high places and watch the world go by. I've been hunting rabbits and stuff and it just doesnt get boring (after about 90 mins!).

The music is perfect. The sounds change from day to night. the sound of country side is just blissfull, it really is well done.

I bought the Lim Ed version and where is the soundtrack kept??

Also, I dunno where the war horse or the costume is lol. any help?

Played it for quite a lot today, graphics are amazing, my only (slight) problem is the amount of riding between stuff, but then there is enough to do to keep you entertained along the way anyway. Very good so far.

I'm fairly underwhelmed, but I'm only a few hours in.

The combat is pretty basic, nothing dreadfully wrong, but certainly nothing impressive, and the Dead Eye "win button" is a bit daft.

The "how much can you piss off your horse until it bucks you off" minigame is pretty **** annoying, imo. When I press A, I want to go, when I hold A, I want to go for longer, and when I keep tapping A, I want to go for a long time, very bloody fast. Having to moderate it because you'll land on your arse, while perhaps "realistic" just isn't a fun mechanic to me, it's like GTA insisting that the cars have a manual gearbox and you stall if you don't do it right. **** that.

The world is open, with lots to do, but no real reason to do it other than an initial curiosity.

And for a game that was praised for its moral choice system, it certainly reacts quite badly when you shoot random people in the head during missions. No becoming an outlaw and having their mates hunting you down, just "screw you, do it again".

The visuals and voice acting are superb, and there's enough in it to keep you immersed for a while, the basics that you expect from Rockstar in a sandbox are all here, and they're still the masters of creating an open world, but there's nothing here that makes me sit up and think "10/10". It's new, and well polished, but it's not a genre changer.

It's a fairly comfortable 8/10 for me. It's fairly good, and if it were made by someone else, I might be more impressed, but it's made by Rockstar, and I knew "Western GTA" is going to be said again and again, but it's really quite close to the mark. It's GTA with an extremely irritating vehicle mechanic.

Not tried it online yet, but if you need to play it online for it to be a 10/10, it's a score based on your friends, not the game.

Its not a 10/10 game nothing is.

Very enjoyable though and the voice acting is brilliant.

I quite like the red eye thing though makes taking out baddies in more interesting manner.

It's a very good game overall. A few annoyances (is it just me that's irritated by the horse riding?), but very good. If people enjoyed GTA, they'll enjoy this.

It's just not 10/10. It's not a once a gaming generation genre-defining game. It's nut as huge as, for example GTA III was, which basically cock-slapped all of the other sandbox games, and said "beat this".

It's fun, it'll keep me occupied for a few weeks, maybe more when playing online, but there's nothing overly innovative. It's a standard sandbox. Very well done, but nothing that makes me sit up and think "blow me, that's incredible".

It has good story, great graphics, great sound, average combat, it's good, but not amazing.

10/10 would imply perfect.

Not it wouldn't. 10/10 just says you would give the game your highest possible recommendation.

Just got my copy from HMV, got 800 MS Pts free, they gave me a code for a co-op mission pack that will be released at a later date. They had loads of codes for the war horse that you get for pre-ordering online behind the counter, but the guy didnt chuck one of those in.

I bought the limited edition of this game and have a couple of quick questions.

The golden guns.

only the guns i started the game with are golden - the pistol and the repeater carbine - are these the only guns that will remain golden? Im sure ive collected one since and it isnt golden.

The war horse.

So i got my warhorse at the start of the game (i think, black horse with white maine?) and everything was fine. Now that bird from McFarlane ranch has given me another horse (as a reward for herding some horses for her) and my War Horse has disappeared!! wheres it gone?! and how do i get it back?!

The soundtrack.

Where is the soundtrack?????

Â