Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

This game is better than GTA IV, gonna just put that out there for a start.

it looks better, it plays better for the combat system, considering it's so much easier to ride a horse and shoot than drive a car than shoot on GTA IV.

Voice acting is pretty similar, both games have done very well there. The story is great on Red dead redemption, about 30% of the way through the game now, currently looking for the treasure and trying to shoot birds from trains, currently on level 4 of both. Gold is worth quite a lot so I am going to store it up.

Bought a Kentucky Horse, god they're fast and have great stamina. Slightly annoyed that the main character is married, was hoping to smash a prossie or two to releash some tension after shooting a few bounties up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought this yesterday, cant believe how in demand the game is, I had to go to 8 shops in town before i could find it and the only had the limited edition one for £50

cracking game though, I was never a fan of GTA (yes I know i will probably get slated for saying that) but I love this game I just prefer the settings and characters compared to the standard bad asses that you get in GTA and I just prefer the whole wild west world.

not got too far in it yet and i havent gone online with it, but I am enjoying the game an awfull lot at the moment.

only problem that i find is when the main character keeps ducking and crouching when I am trying to run or walk somewhere but that is more due to the shitty xbox pads than the game I think

makes a pleasent change for me as I only really play modern warfare, FIFA and fight night round 4.

Has anyone stood on a balcony and whistled their horse yet?

My horse got stuck inside a house the other day. Could see him running about through the window. God knows how he got in there cuz when i got on him and tried to ride him out he couldnt get through the door. So i put him to sleep and got another one. :wave:

I am enjoying this a lot. I am only 13% (maybe a bit less) of my way through the story, despite having played for roughly nine hours.

I have just been messing around and exploring, only touching on quests when I feel like it. Some of the random events are brilliant and add so much to the game.

With regards to the horse, I love it. I travel everywhere on my horse, as opposed to going straight to a destination. It just adds to the experience for me.

Even when I have eventually finished playing this game, I'm sure I will be back to play more. I certainly won't be trading it in at any point anyway. There is just so much to come back for and I can see myself playing this over and over.

Great setting, great playability and great fun. It is the best game I have played in a long time!

I just cannot see the point in racing through a game like RDR, a mate of mine has practically finished it already and I was talking to him about it yesterday. From the conversation I had it was obvious that he'd missed so many interesting facets of the game because he's basically bombed from A to B finishing the story missions, he hadn't even touched any of the games in the saloons.

Each to their own and all that but I do think that approach makes for an unfulfilling experience.

So, i started the game last night. (7pm)

Did the first few missions for Bonnie and the Sheriff. No problem at all.

12am rolls round and i have spent the majority of those 5 hours in the wilderness shooting and skinning animals or just riding around, or playing poker.

I love this game. It's so easy to just lose yourself in.

Going to get this today - is the limited edition version worth getting? The case says that you get a better horse and guns, does this add much to the gaming experience?

Shall be purchasing in the coming days. Worth going for the Limited Edition? EDIT - Seems me and Risso had the same brainwave at the same time ;)

From reading reviews and the experiences here, and the glimpses of it online, I thinkt he thing that compels me the most is the stark beauty of the game. The vistas remind me of the long shots from the opening of No Country for Old Men, or pretty much every long shot from There Will be Blood... it has that stark but enormous beauty, harsh and wild. I can really see myself spending a few days, like Dante above, just wandering the map and seeing what it has out there.

I just cannot see the point in racing through a game like RDR, a mate of mine has practically finished it already and I was talking to him about it yesterday. From the conversation I had it was obvious that he'd missed so many interesting facets of the game because he's basically bombed from A to B finishing the story missions, he hadn't even touched any of the games in the saloons.

Each to their own and all that but I do think that approach makes for an unfulfilling experience.

Thats what i've done.

I've completed the story mission, now in doing so getting access to the whole map and getting my whereabouts. I now plan on exploring all further and doing the other smaller missions.

I got the LE. Got a snazzy case, an amazing horse (defo worth it for that alone!!), the Golden Gun which looks nice and the outfit which is fantastic as it regenerates your dead eye twice as fast (defo helpful in sticky situations).

I got the Limited edition one and yeah the war horse is quality

only thing is i cant get him to change outfits any idea's why? I have seen a few people saying that when they get to a certain point in the game and it wont let them change then but I have only just started the game pretty much

Going to get this today - is the limited edition version worth getting? The case says that you get a better horse and guns, does this add much to the gaming experience?

To be honest, I would say no simply because the items the limited edition gives you render in-game content that you would ordinarily progress through obsolete from the get-go. You're paying more money to remove content from your game essentially.

That said, the limited edition items are merely redeemable codes in the box and not baked into LE copies so you can still buy it and choose not to use them.

Absolutely. I'm probably around the 25 hour mark now and I've only just unlocked the missions for Irish.

To be honest, I would say no simply because the items the limited edition gives you render in-game content that you would ordinarily progress through obsolete from the get-go. You're paying more money to remove content from your game essentially.

That said, the limited edition items are merely redeemable codes in the box and not baked into LE copies so you can still buy it and choose not to use them.

Cheers Sie. Does that mean you get the aiming thingy, guns and horse eventually anyway? If so, I'll stick to the vanilla version.

Absolutely. I'm probably around the 25 hour mark now and I've only just unlocked the missions for Irish.

I started those last night too. The language is 'colourful' to say the least. :mrgreen:

Cheers Sie. Does that mean you get the aiming thingy, guns and horse eventually anyway? If so, I'll stick to the vanilla version.

The aiming, yes but it doesn't recharge as quickly whilst I think golden guns can be unlocked by using that gun for so long. The horse is probably the reason alone to get the limited edition though.

There is wild horses you can catch that are almost as good as the War Horse, but they are only found in certain areas of the map.

For anybody interested in the locations of the horses:

One is the Hungarian Half Bred, probably not as fast as the one unlocked in the Bonnie mission, but it's stamina is better and it can take a few more hits. It can be found in the far right corner of Mexico, where it shows 3 horses running on the map. The horse is white, and has dark patches around it's eyes, it also has by far the longest breaking in sequence, probably 30 seconds.

The other is the American Standardbred, the fastest horse in the game (as quick as the war horse) but it has poor stamina. It's all black and is found in West Elizabeth in the area east of Manzanita and south of Beecher's Hope. After you have tamed either of the horses you then need to buy the deed for that horse in the general store, that way if/when it dies, you get another horse by simply whistling.

The horse you unlock in the Bonnie mission is a mixture of those two horses, with decent stamina and speed.

You'll never get the LE items without the codes in the LE box but you will get to a point where their advantages no longer matter.

The Warhorse makes every other horse in the game obsolete so you'll never have to go out and capture one when your current horse dies (the warhorse is infinitely respawnable because of the free horse deed you get for it - other horses require you to save up and purchase a deed). The Golden Guns unbalance the fame system, speeding up the natural progression you'd ordinarily take on your adventure. The Deadly Assassin costume with its dead eye boost has the potential to trivialise the difficulty of gunfights.

Because of that, I personally wouldn't recommend the exclusive items just so you experience the game has it was meant to be experienced - without any items that shortcut content.

That said, if you see value in pimping your cowboy with exclusive, shiny stuff then the LE will probably appeal.

Â