Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

Well I've played this game quite alot and I love it. It's kind of slow to get into but once the better missions start coming it turns a lot more interesting. Just got to the part of the game where you go to Mexico, but I'm yet to actually go there.

My only problem with this game is that, realistically you have to follow the law unless you want a ridiculous bounty on your head that never dissapears. But that's only something that annoys me and something that most other people won't have an opinion on.

Very good game, I'm not sure how people can be dissapointed with it, anybody expecting to be amazed has simply got it wrong, the sandbox genre has been done so much that I'm not sure producing anything ground-breaking is even possible anymore, at least not on the current gen consoles.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "how much can you piss off your horse until it bucks you off" minigame is pretty **** annoying, imo. When I press A, I want to go, when I hold A, I want to go for longer, and when I keep tapping A, I want to go for a long time, very bloody fast. Having to moderate it because you'll land on your arse, while perhaps "realistic" just isn't a fun mechanic to me, it's like GTA insisting that the cars have a manual gearbox and you stall if you don't do it right. **** that.

I know you mentioned you're finding the horse controls irritating but from what you've posted above, would I be out of line in maybe suggesting you've not fully understood them?

It's just that you don't have to keep tapping. Starting from not moving at all, a double tap will get you trotting (holding down the second tap to maintain that speed). Another double tap ups your speed again then another ups it even more. A succession of taps will quickly take you to full speed (top speed should not be mistaken for stamina sprinting which is just that, sprinting). When you get to a speed you like, just hold down the A button, pumping it only if you want a quick burst of sprint speed.

The idea that you have to pump the button on and off to moderate speed isn't the case. What I usually do is just vigorously pump the A button from stand still until I'm going full pelt and hold A from there. If I want to reduce my speed, whilst still holding A, I tap the right bumper with each tap decreasing my speed even further.

It's certainly feels a bit alien at first but once familiar with the logic behind it, it's a pretty inspired system that feels fluid and frees up the pad for other actions. Despite my own initial confusion, controlling the horse is absolutely second nature to me now. Also, rounding up wild horses on horseback with a lasso is quite something. Lassoing a bolting deer in front of the random cowboy I met in the wilderness not so much - deer had enough speed to drag my face into the dirt when the rope went tight, making me look like a right plum. Still, he thanked me when I shot it for him then we parted ways. And that wasn't a mission, just some passing NPC.

So yeah, the whole game for me is sublime in it's technical prowess, it's presentation and its ability to utterly absorb the player. The world feels truly alive and full of impromptu moments that elevate the game to something special. The writing is outstanding with every character so far being endearing, charming and believable. The Guardian's reviewer described the game as a tour de force and I find myself in total agreement. I think Rockstar have outshone GTAIV with this.

The "how much can you piss off your horse until it bucks you off" minigame is pretty **** annoying, imo. When I press A, I want to go, when I hold A, I want to go for longer, and when I keep tapping A, I want to go for a long time, very bloody fast. Having to moderate it because you'll land on your arse, while perhaps "realistic" just isn't a fun mechanic to me, it's like GTA insisting that the cars have a manual gearbox and you stall if you don't do it right. **** that.

I know you mentioned you're finding the horse controls irritating but from what you've posted above, would I be out of line in maybe suggesting you've not fully understood them?

It's just that you don't have to keep tapping. Starting from not moving at all, a double tap will get you trotting (holding down the second tap to maintain that speed). Another double tap ups your speed again then another ups it even more. A succession of taps will quickly take you to full speed (top speed should not be mistaken for stamina sprinting which is just that, sprinting). When you get to a speed you like, just hold down the A button, pumping it only if you want a quick burst of sprint speed.

The idea that you have to pump the button on and off to moderate speed isn't the case. What I usually do is just vigorously pump the A button from stand still until I'm going full pelt and hold A from there. If I want to reduce my speed, whilst still holding A, I tap the right bumper with each tap decreasing my speed even further.

It's certainly feels a bit alien at first but once familiar with the logic behind it, it's a pretty inspired system that feels fluid and frees up the pad for other actions. Despite my own initial confusion, controlling the horse is absolutely second nature to me now. Also, rounding up wild horses on horseback with a lasso is quite something. Lassoing a bolting deer in front of the random cowboy I met in the wilderness not so much - deer had enough speed to drag my face into the dirt when the rope went tight, making me look like a right plum. Still, he thanked me when I shot it for him then we parted ways. And that wasn't a mission, just some passing NPC.

So yeah, the whole game for me is sublime in it's technical prowess, it's presentation and its ability to utterly absorb the player. The world feels truly alive and full of impromptu moments that elevate the game to something special. The writing is outstanding with every character so far being endearing, charming and believable. The Guardian's reviewer described the game as a tour de force and I find myself in total agreement. I think Rockstar have outshone GTAIV with this.

Agreed, once you get a grip on the controls, which doesnt take too long, it really becomes obvious what a work of art this is, im enjoying every minute so far.....

I think the horse controls are fine to be honest.

I also have to say that Rockstar have raised the sandbox genre bar again and that this is a big improvement (on the excellent) GTA IV.

The fact the game has proper Texas Hold 'em as a mini-game is keeping me happy no end. I'm in a dilapidated yet cosy shack, the thunder is cracking outside and I've got a big pile of chips. Marvellous.

Ha ha brilliant, I just tied up some guy and left him on the train tracks, let's just say he didn't make it. Enjoying every minute of this game so far, but trying to connect online is messed up keeps disconnect and staying on loaded screen for ever.

Also anyone know where the hunting wave places are?

Is there a weapons guide online somewhere, i've just got the Sniper rifle, but the other rifles i'm not sure how powerful they are etc..

I'm assuming the Springfield pistol is best you can get so far...

When travelling shotgun with the option to skip to the end of the journey. I haven't once...

I can sit there watching everything happening. I love looking at the river..with the small inconsistant splashes in the water, it looks incredible. I love the puddles that form in the dirt tracks and collections of water on the rocks. I love watching the clouds explode with white as the lighting hits. I love looking around the desert looking for different animals to skin. I love looking at each animal skinned. I love my horse rearing when it gets surrounded by wolves. I love the way sheets and washing blow and sway in the wind. I love the way if you are passing people slowly they doff their hats to you and say good day. I love the vultures that circle over dead animals. I love the fire and the way it spreads over wooden objects. I love watching people in the town playing games, drunks walking out of the bars, I love watching them pump the water pump. I love buying 5 $2 shots of whisky or gin.

I **** love this game

9.8/10

I've hardly touched the main missions yet, doing alot of the bounty hunter stuff and generally just taking my time.

Had a quick half hour on the multi-player last night too, looks like theres a lot of fun to be had there.

Any quicker way to switch weapons then with the clunky L1 menu?

Its not clunky its perfect once used to it and you have to quickly switch from gun to rope whilst riding a horse, its great.

Any quicker way to switch weapons then with the clunky L1 menu?

Its not clunky its perfect once used to it and you have to quickly switch from gun to rope whilst riding a horse, its great.

So that will be a "no" then?

Was playing this earlier and i saw a bloke who had dismounted his horse by the side of a dirt track and was standing behind a boulder. I went closer to investigate and it turns out he was having a slash. After a few more moments of me standing near him he turned round, grabbed his crotch and said something along the lines of 'u gonna suck this?'

Couldnt believe what had happened.

Quality.

Â