General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General. When we beat our neighbours 5-1 i reckon we were about 10 years in front of them. Can you explain how, in 3 seasons, they can

now attract players that we cant and are seemingly edging

ahead of us? Can you explain how stoke can sign players and we cant? Can you explain why you are interviewing a coach that only has 3 more premier league game experience than me and who took 3 weeks to decide whether he wanted it?

General. I'd just like to assure you that the noisy nutters, the depressing droners, always make more noise than the calm collective, although I'm sure you already knew that?

We're not all jumping off cliffs!

Hi General,

I would like to add my weight to what the likes of Cracker and Blunther have said about some of the other stuff from other users. Some of it is just disrespectful and out of order. However, there are a couple of important questions hidden among the rants that I would like to ask.

1) You once famously stated that Randy would purchase a £30m player if MON thought it would be for the greater good of AVFC. Does that still stand for whoever takes over the managerial role? or, has that day come and gone with MON's purchases during his management of the club?

2) You also once said that it was very difficult to get top quality players to come to the city of Birmingham to play their football, as we are not as attractive as London. Do you still stand by this given the fact that Birmingham City managed to persuade a Barcelona player, once of Arsenal, to join them on loan for a season? or, do you think it was just that our previous manager hadn't got the will, nor vision, to sign players like Alexander Hleb?

I think it would be nice for the fans if you could give us one or two examples of quality players, such as Hleb, that we, during MON's tenure, attempted to sign but was turned down due to our location.

I like Kevin MacDonald General but I do think that he would be out of his depth as manager of AVFC. I think first team coach or reserve team coach may be his limit. I would hate to see him do a bad job of managing the club and then we lose a top coach to look after our kids of the future. I hate to say this but I really think that the only reason we won the Everton game was because of the pre-match injury to Ireland. Had he played, I fear we would have been over-run in midfield, just as we were a week earlier up at Newcastle. I think that Kevin may have gotten a little bit lucky with that one General!

Best wishes and please don't take too much to heart about what people say. Most of us are frustrated footballers / managers and will always see things with claret and blue tinted glasses.

Hi General,

When Randy came to the club there was a big wave of optimism regarding the future of Aston Villa, with the prospect of some serious investment in the club and a new highly regarded manager in MON, most of the fans bought into the vision of the club once again rising to the top and having success. This was often talked about as the “5 year plan”, if not officially at least by many of the fans. Whilst I doubt any plan is specifically a “5 year plan”, I'm sure any rolling plan would look forward over such a time frame and have expectations accordingly.

When MON walked out several weeks back it was almost certainly the end of an era, in a sense, to my mind at least, the end of the “5 year plan” that never was. Looking back we can say we have partially achieved, the club received substantial sustained investment over several years in many different areas, and MON took us to three consecutive 6th place finishes, several ultimately unsuccessful European jaunts and a cup semi final and final.

We of course have come agonisingly close to both silverware and a prized Champions League spot, yet we didn't achieve them. In a sense I think many fans feel lucky but also disappointed, we did well to progress as we did in those years, though there are many that would say we could have done better. From those that might blame some of the managerial decisions to those that say we should have invested slightly more than we did. Despite our progress as a club in many ways then, there will always be that 'familiar' feeling, that we came so close but failed to achieve.

With the comings and goings over the summer, (mostly goings), there is a now a general air of despondency with many supporters. We sold one of our best players, lost a fairly good manager and his groupies and all of the talk has been about 'reigning in investment', we of course only had one player coming in, and as I write this, still stand managerless, and I think more importantly for many fans, visionless. As it is, the king is dead, long live the.....?

I think what many people want to know is what is the board's vision for the club over the next 5 years, the next “5 year plan” so to speak?

There are many concerns now over spending, over who the new manager will be, over the size and calibre of the squad etc., and many concerns that with the changing footballing and financial situation over the years, we are now going to be in decline. There is probably an overwhelming feeling that 'it's all downhill from here'. I think most people understand the financial situation regarding wages and the impending financial “fair play” regulations and the need from every perspective to get our financial house in order. Yet this arguably in a way has been the cause of our problems over the summer. Now people want to know how the club envisages building its way out of this situation and either maintaining our position or improving it?

The club says it wants to build sustainably and surely one of the main ways to do that is through the fans, but to do that the fans need to buy into the club, I suppose literally and figuratively. The fans need a realistic and truthful vision to buy into of where the club is going and what it can achieve. If they get that, the support will be more vehement, consistent and grow, so bringing in greater revenue to the club. In that sense the great wheel of sustainable progress requires the dangling carrot of future hope to keep it turning.

I hope then that when the our new manager is appointed that both the new manager and more importantly the club, i.e., Randy, spell out a new (revised) vision of the club over the coming years. Rightly or wrongly, and for better or for worse, this will be perceived as the beginning of a new era in the clubs history and I hope the club provides us the fans with a 'statement of intent' of how we are to go forward. I fear, considering the available pool of managers, that whichever manager is appointed, if they are not appointed with an explicitly stated vision, we will lose in one sense or another, many fans. As I'm sure I don't need to tell you, football is not just about selling football, it's about selling realistic dreams too.

I would just like to add that I for one appreciate your making the effort to come on here to communicate with the fans, I think is amazingly important. I also think that so far Randy and the board have done an extremely good job and I just hope that he can now step up to the plate and deliver once again.

How many times do the mods have to say this thread is for genuine comments and questions for the General, not digs at other posters? If people want to say something that you consider utter drivel, that's up to them, not you. The General is big enough and old enough to filter the crap himself.

Hi General

Are we only interviewing Managers that are out of work? I agree with your sentiment about bringing in Managers for the right reasons, however you have to consider that Managers that are currently available are available for a reason and its usually to do with poor performance..Headhunting is a tried and tested method used across many industries and sectors...getting the right man shouldn't be purely based upon their stated availability i.e Curbishley, he's useless!! in the interview process are you or do you plan to seek advice from the fans? you should, together we have 1000's of years experience to help you and board make the right decisions...let me put it bluntly, the decision this board makes on a new manager will have effects on how the team is supported for the rest of this season and beyond, make the wrong choice and I reckon you can kiss goodbye to Randy's investment i.e. if Curbishley takes over I'll find it difficult to continue my support

I would love to see us take advantage of the McLeish situation, not only do I think he's a very good manager, it would also piss Small Heath fans off immensely if we were to nab him (double whammy) just think about the positive responses you would get

General,

My impressions of the board in the past is that the fans are critical to the future development, to such that I believe Mr Lerner reasoning behind tightening spending was that he wanted the club to be able to survive without the Sky money? (apologises Mr Lerner if I'm wrong on what I said here.) I have 2 questions to ask on this,

Does the board feel that the Sky gravy train is coming to an end, bearing in mind that they appear to have the monopoly now and therefore could considerable reduce funding, as there is no real contestant out there to Sky and this is why Mr Lerner feels the club needs to get into this position sooner rather than later. I agree with his principals that spending has been poor over the last 4 years.

My second question is I think the club has been shown in a poor light over the summer, in particular our last manager. We've had the kit issue, North Stand issues, screen removals. I feel that the Kevin MacDonald situation has not been handled greatly in that I think he should have said no comment to questions about the manager's role rather than I'll see. I can understand him wanting to sample the role but alarm bells ring in my head does he REALLy want it. Now hopefully it is paper talk that Curbs has been interviewed. Could you at least advise us how many are being interviewed?

Sorry wrong thread.

However, Mr Krulak - the post was not very complimentary about the news we have interviewed Alan Curbishley.

I'll be finsihed with it all.

You say you realise the tradition of this club, and will only appoint someone who knows the ethos of the club.

Then (reportedly) you interview a guy for the managers job who said joining Villa was one of his biggest mistakes of his career.

Enough said if it is true !

General,

Given the away shirt fiasco, does the club commit to not changing next years away kit? Or will the club continue to squeeze every last drop of money out of Villa fans by changing the away kit again even though fans have had less than 1 season to wear it?

General,

I don't post much never mind in this section, really appreciate you doing this for us fans and responding in such a direct manner.

Im going to resort to begging that the board do absolutely everything in their power to get Ottmar Hitzfeld as the new manager. This is the sort of appointment that would blow all the negativity out of the water!

Hi General,

First thing, I think the club statement that you are looking for someone with Premier League experience is very encouraging. This is exactly what we need and I applaud you for that.

However, surely this rules out KMac as manager. He has zero experience managing a Premier League team, only as a caretaker.

Also, very worried at the news we are interviewing Curbishley, he is washed up and a failure at a smaller club like West Ham.

What is the chance that we can show some ambition and appoint a really top quality manager that will attract players, help us retain our best players and keep the fans feeling like we have ambition ??? In my view, Sven would be perfect, although he is much maligned his record is one of the best out there. Also people like Moyes, Hughes and Allardyce but all of these will require Randy to put his money and ambition where his mouth is. Do you see this happening?

General why cant the club grow some balls and get david moyes?

I have never met a businessman who is not ruthless have you?

What ever happened to the old military saying of... Improvise, Adapt, Overcome?..

If you havnt noticed already that trying to talk the talk and being all nicey nice has not worked in the last 4 years, So do you think its going to work in year 5 of the 5 year plan?

PS... If the club go's through with the lacklustre appointment of Alan Curbishley as manager of this football club, It will infact show the true ambition of whats to come, Myself and thousands of others will just have to accept that... THE REVOLUTION IS DEAD!.. Would The Last Person To leave Villa Park Please Turn Out The Lights!..

It seems that I am one of many fans fretting over who the new manager is going to be. I can tell you now the likes of Sven and Curbishly would only confirm many fans worst fears that Villa are now back in regression much like when Randy took over Villa.

If we are to move forward we need a manager proven at the very highest level (at home or abroad) and who is proven to be good at bringing through youngsters. Now I am sure you and Randy and the board are fully aware of this, and I am fully aware that doing so is an EXTREMELY hard task, but if you don't make the right appointment well Randy would be better off selling up now.

I hate to say that as I am great admirer of manner in which the club has been run since Randy took over, but thats the cold hard truth. Now the transfer window is shut I couldn't care less if it takes until January for you to find the right man for the job, so long as he is just that!

This is the most important decision for a chairman to make, and yes I am very worried that the transfer window shut with us signing a player we don't need (even though he is a very good player) and selling a player that has been our most impressive central midfielder in over a decade (yes Milner is/was better than Barry and Ireland is an attacking midfielder NOT a central midfielder).

I must be honest and say as a fan the day I no longer believe its possible for Villa the win trophies at the highest level in the forseeable future I will stop being a football club fan altogether (Villa is the only club for me), as we fans need hope of success even if we don't get the success, and that hope quickly evaporating.

The right man is a must.

General,

Do you ever get fed up of typing the same thing over and over again because people can't be bothered to look through the posts or do you just have a load of preset answers which you copy and paste depending on relevance :lol:

Please don't let the keyboard warriors deter you from coming on here and keep up the good work!

Tom