General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General Krulak Here:

1. Back from my trip only to discover that Randy is a bum and lacks ambition, I am a liar and a shill, we've really spent no money on the Club, every possible Manager we have looked at is not wanted at the Club or is a lousy Manager or is an indication of no desire to move forward, that we passed on getting a Manager in order not to spend money during the transfer window, etc. etc. etc. And I am supposed to answer comments/questions that surround those issues??? There is no way I can do it...NOT because I don't have the answers but because no one would believe me...which makes coming on this site pretty much a waste of my time and yours.

2. Randy and the Club have NOT given up. Randy and the Club are daily working to make us better. The idea that Randy hasn't spent money on the Club is simply absurd. In reality, he has bought the Club OVER three times...that is how much money he has put into AVFC. All the Managers we are looking at may not meet your criteria but you aren't tasked with selecting them. You have no idea who we are looking at other than reading the papers...and those that you have guessed correctly, you have something negative to say about all of them. Suppose we happen to pick one of them...or suppose we are trying to get one to come to the Club...I am sure they enjoy reading the blogs to see how our fans react to their names...and rest assured, anyone we would want is smart enough to do some due diligence on the Club and Fan base. Simply put, there are some Fans who have just turned on Randy like pit vipers...turned on the man who has done more for your Club in 4 years than most have done in 40. This summer will pass...it will be a footnote in history before we are all done. I have done all in my power to keep you all informed as to where we are...and there are some that just discount everything I say. I am at a loss as to where to go from here other than to say that we are continuing to work towards a resolution of this issue. WE didn't quit the team 5 days before the start of the season...WE didn't leave the Club high and dry. If you think that it is easy to go find a Manager, think again. You have mentioned some high visibility Managers...do you really believe we haven't spoken to them? You say we should throw money at them and they will up and quit their current Clubs...you know nothing!! For those who understand the issues we are faced and support us...thank you! Fosr those who don't, I would only ask that you try to fathom the depth of the issues and the effort we have been expending since this all started.

That is a pretty childish, condescending and disappointing reply in my opinion. The fans you are 'having a go at' were here long before you were and will be here long after you pack your bags. They have spent time, money (not dissimilar to what Randy has spent in proportion to their total wealth) and are the lifeblood of the club. If you and Randy are unable to handle this criticism with dignity and composure then I suggest you are unable to handle the day-to -day pressures of running the world’s greatest football club.

Not having a manager, having only 22 players to name out of a possible 25 and having a net spend of -23M during the transfer window is surely a concern for most Villa fans.

When will we have a new manager?

What is the transfer kitty for January? (Nothing, small, large)

Are you changing the away shirt next year after the cock-up with the sponsor?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General

This summer we have lost a manager of undoubted premiership qualty and as yet no one knows why. We have lost our player of the season to a competitor. We have spent no money on the squad for over a year (wages aside). We have a smaller squad than going into last season. We have no manager. The names linked to the vacant post have, for the majority, been inferior to the manager that has just left.

I'm not saying that the criticism you are recieving is just but please do try and understand as to why emotions are running high.

Thank you for your time.

Gen

I read your response and to be honest, can't disagree. However, this is why I myself am angry (and, yep - it's all media speculation).

You yourself keep saying things like "left the club high and dry" "left us in the lurch" - and things to that effect. So, presumably, you ain't very happy with martin O'Neill at the momet (and I will say I told you so , coz I told you many many times !)

So think of my dismay when I hear that we have interviewed a guy who did exactly the same to us 25 yrs ago, leaving us to get relegated, then when we did, was all over the TV, press with a smug grin on his face saying "Joining Villa was the biggest mistake of my career"

And THAT is why I was / am angry ! and yes, it was 25 yrs ago. But this club was dying at the time, I am sure you can associate with this. Some chose to stay and fight - the likes of Allan Evans, some chose to run away, the likes of Steve McMahon - and some, chose to run, join the enemy and tried to kill us - and sorry, would you trust a guy who did that to you - no matter how much time passed ?

Just coz I am older, doesn't make me more of a fan. But what it does do is I / some others have longer memories, and can remember the people who took the pee out of this club (Curb / Hodge - sorry wash my mouth out / Collymore / Curcic / and the most, McNeill !) and the ones that bled claret and blue (Graham Taylor to name one that often gets slagged off on here. Believe me, if it wasn't for him, Randy wouldn't have a tattoo, as there would be no football club !)

We have a motto Proud History / Bright Future - I just wish (again, if it is true of course) that someone had looked at the history before we interviewed ! (and I apologise if he never was interviewed and it was media crap !)

General

Bit of a fence sitter here.

I agree with many of the sentiments about the deteriorating state of our club at the present time, but am not sure that much could have been done about it within the realms of reality.

I am however confident that a good managerial appointment and turn of fortunes could restore a dose of clarity amongst the board and fans - it is clear that you are experiencing as much anguish and disresolve as the fans.

Every team goes through these ups and downs, but please do not be under the impression that Villa fans are alone in their criticism of team affairs. The kind of discussion that goes on in these boards is fairly synonymous with both footballing forums and internet forums in general. Please dont think that we are a particularly aggressive or unappreciative bunch of individuals, because when it comes to match day, like yourself, we are all back behind the board and the club. Even those who seem angered at recent events would be loathe to disregard the efforts of the board.

So please, remember us singing Randy's name at the West Ham game, and take these discussion forums for what they are; A place of discussion rather than unadultered support.

Hi General,

I can understand fully your rather aggressive response considering the amount of "stick" both yourself and Randy have been getting on this thread over the past few days and by all means you have the right to defend both yourself and Randy to your last breath.

I do ask however that you consider the viewpoint of the "average" fan. The "average" football fan has no idea about the daily running of a Premier League football club, has no clue on the financial obligations of running such a business and without doubt knows nothing of the process of replacing a manager out of the blue.

That being my point, man (or woman :winkold: ) by their very nature will question that which they do not fully understand and as patrons of OUR great football club it is your duty to keep us ill informed masses as "in the loop" as possible. I appreciate that you (or the club) cannot reveal transfer kittys, potential management suitors or other financial information but what you must understand is that we, as a collective, are very worried that our football club is moving in the wrong direction and is in danger of being left behind and when that panic sets in we will by our very nature question those in charge (the wizard behind the curtain as it were).

So once again all i ask for is a little understanding on the amount of stress the average Villa fan is under at present and as always i humbly implore yourself and those in charge to take the greatest care when dealing with something which we hold so dear in our hearts.

General Krulak here:

1. Markavfc40: I did not have a go at MON, I simply stated a fact. He did leave us 5 days before the beginning of the season which has put us into this current position. I have said nothing that isn't true. I doubt if there is a fan alive that would agree that the timing was poor. As for piciata's comment that we lost a "quality manager and no one knows why", I think I have been pretty specific as to why I think he left...you might want to go back and read some of my posts.

2. poodle: "childish, condescending, and disappointing reply in my opinion"....yet it is fine to say that Randy and I cannot handle criticism with "dignity and composure". My entire point, over the whole time I have posted on Villa Talk and the other sites is that I have NO, ZERO problem with criticism...I call it the "good, bad, and ugly." What I do have a problem with is criticism that is personal and insulting. You can get your points across without resorting to a meaness of spirit...and your points are always forwarded up...even if not given in a way that shows any respect. Put yourself in my shoes for just a second...I have multiple things to do every day (just like each of you), I am not retired and I am not some weathy bloke who has nothing better to do that play golf. Yet almost daily, I am on this site trying to keep a civil conversation going between the Club and the Fans...and ofter responding as a Fan myself. I can get frustrated just like you all!!

General

Seeings as there is barely any consensus amongst the fans as to who should be appointed it is unsurprising that it's been a difficult process finding a new manager.

It's very easy from the comfort of an armchair to demand that the club appoint a Jol or a Moyes but most of us realise that the process is somewhat more complex than that.

It was ever thus that the people with the loudest voices make the most noise. We may not post as often as the ranters but please be assured that there are large numbers of us who are still very supportive of what the club is doing.

UTV

Rog

General, It is quite clear that Villa supporters want either Moyes or Jol.

Some may not understand that you cannot say on here that you may have tried for these two but were told by their clubs that AVFC cannot speak to them.

It is frustration that we cannot get the desired Manager & no new players have joined this summer that has infuriated people who have spent money on season tickets etc.

It is clearly down to Mon that we are in this situation and the Board have been caught out big time and feel let down by him.

I hope that you continue to post on here and can get in a Manager that will in some way ease the sitaution and not make it worse.

Not gonna comment on the possible managers, but just want to ask if Mr. Lerner is realizing that losing O'Neill (for reasons I will not speculate) will be the most expensive thing of his Aston Villa ownership (provided that we do not reduce our ambitions)?

A new manager will probably rebuild and create his own team (due to different ideas and philosophy). It is fairly cheap to get from 16th to 6th. Now comes the expensive part.

General, I can understand you being frustrated having to repeat yourself over and over on here, but our frustrations are about questions you can't answer or don't want to answer.

It's been a month since MON walked out we had a club statement the day he left and we only had a club statement last week, I guess that was because of you passing feedback on about us not knowing anything about what you're looking for in this new manager.

Media hype, messageboard hype about who our new manager is going to be isn't helping...Each passing day a new name props up, sometimes a good name other times not so great...Yet we don't even have a clue about what chances any of them will have for getting the job...As what we might think is right for the club...Isn't what the club might think is right....You've said that yourself....That leaves us fans guessing and each day that builds up the frustrations also.

If your frustrated and you know what's going on......Many of the fans must feel a lot more frustrated, not having a clue.

Many of us are very sure you're going to make the right choice for AV, maybe not the first choice you wanted as many of the better managers are currently in work.

Thanks for taking the time to come on here answering questions and sharing your thoughts.

As for piciata's comment that we lost a "quality manager and no one knows why", I think I have been pretty specific as to why I think he left...you might want to go back and read some of my posts.

Thanks for answering General and I have read all your posts (I think).

However, until I have heard both sides of the story then I shall not be casting stones either way.

This internets a bit of a bugger innit?

In the old days, we'd just have to wait and find out.

All the frustrations would be shouted out down the pub and quickly forgotten.

Now theres a record of it all and a vastly larger number of people criticising everything.

I'll be waiting to see who comes and giving him a chance.

Supporting him until it starts to go wrong.

And it nearly always goes wrong at some point.

All those shouting "we dont want manager A, he got the sack at club B" really arent thinkng.

How many managers have never got the sack?

As for those who state things like, " I'll stop following Villa if they havent got a chance of winning something"

Frankly this is ludicrous.

I want Villa to win things, but if we were to be relegated I wouldnt stop supporting them.

Perhaps we should scrap the football league, teams like walsall can't win anything, so they shouldnt have any fans.

I despair sometimes of how the premier league has distorted peoples ability to support a club.

No wonder there are so many glory hunters in shirts of clubs they couldnt say where their ground is.

General. i'm sure you are doing your best, as is randy.

please ignore those where emotion has overtaken reason

and be prepared for worse over the weekend as some of these add alcohol to their befuddled thought process.

How's your health holding up following your recent illness?

Is mrs K proving to be a tower of strength and support?

Or is she, like most partners where football is concerned, dropping little nuggets like, "I don't know why you waste your time with that, its only 22 men kicking a ball"?

General - I appreciate (and think many others will agree) the passion you've showed in your last couple of posts. I think some on here think you and Randy are not bothered anymore, abit like a car you bought brand new, that you washed and polished every week religiously. Now it's 4 year old it's sits dirty and in need of a service on the driveway awaiting it's replacement !!

I'd give up a months salary if someone said we had to chip in to get D.Moyes but I know he wont be coming to AVFC as he's to loyal to Everton. However If the media and bookies are right (there very rarely wrong bookies) than I'd be happy to take Gerard Houllier as our new manager - I'm pretty sure most on here would over the others in the (media) running... Curbs,Southgate,Sven and of course our very own KMac who should remain a coach.

One final thing General.. please don't appoint a DOF over KMac it will end up in disaster and we'll be back here before Easter discussing this very subject again.

All the best Sir and keep you chin up and don't take anything to heart- It's passion.

VTID.

As for piciata's comment that we lost a "quality manager and no one knows why", I think I have been pretty specific as to why I think he left...you might want to go back and read some of my posts.

General

I am very reluctant to comment on this debate but I really just have to point out that you have been anything but clear about the reasons for MON leaving.

As far as I recall, you have uttered some delphic phrases about MON thinking he was bigger than the club, and also said rather puzzlingly that that he was fully on board with the financial direction set out by Mr Lerner, but had failed to deal with the wages to revenue issue - both of which can't really apply in my view. None of this really explains why he resigned, what the issues were over which he resigned, who he talked to and what was said before he came to his decision, and what reasons he gave to the club for resigning

In my view there is little to be gained form hauling over the coals of why MON left us - he has gone and we need to get on with getting the club back on track.

But I really don't see how you can say that you have been specific about why he left. Wouldn't it just be better to say there is nothing to be gained form discussing what is in the past?

Greetings General,

I am going to ask a couple of questions that you may not be able to answer but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

1) If Randy and the Board are not satisfied with those that have currently applied for the managerial post and have interviewed so far, will the board consider only offering a one year contract for who ever is brought on as the permanent manager for the 2010-2011 season? Even Kevin Mac? I know that by doing a one year contract makes the person temporary so bringing in personnel even in January could be tricky because the one year manager may not manage the next year. BUT it would seem that if a player is quality and is well rated than whoever takes over should be able to use that player in a positive way.

2) Would Randy and the board ever consider making known (public) who the people were that the club reached out to to gauge interest in the Villa job? Obviously being public is not Randy's "way of doing business" but by allowing the the club to publicly identify those who were of interest, who were contacted, who were pursued may give supported proof that the club was thinking big when thinking of a replacement. Of course, in doing that one wouldn't want to under mind the person who actually is selected but in Kevin Mac's case surely he would know that Randy and the Board were exploring other options for manager. From all the big emotions expressed through this internet medium it seems that the underlying issue is "is the club thinking big. Is the club turning over every stone in their pursuit?"

My son and I are planning a Villa Park trip in the spring and we will be there whether no one is seated in the manager's chair, a blow up doll is seated in the managers chair or Jose Mourhino is seated in the manager's chair!

Best to you and the Board on whatever decision you all make and then best to whomever will be charged with keeping Villa on the right path on the pitch.

Thanks for your posts General

I, along with many other fans greatly appreciate your responses here providing us with an albeit virtual bridge between club and support.

Support falls on a fairly large scale of fanaticism and emotions are running high as i'm sure they are from within. Excuses aside, some people are just inherently impatient but I trust you know they are no lesser fans than we.

I have been firmly behind Randy since the beginning and nothing has changed in this regard and this is the position of the vast majority, on here and otherwise.

If you would indulge me on the managerial situation, would it be possible to give us a hint or incling as to how many interviews/candidates there have been or will be?

Many thanks

General. You can't win and I don't think you should try to justify yourself. The club is a massive multi million pound business, being run by men who negotiate multi million pound deals when some of us on here find it difficult to debate what we are having for tea. I am sad to say that those who shout the loudest invariably get heard first, they do not however, reflect the opinions of the huge majority. Do what YOU think is right for the club because you can't please everyone.