General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General,

I hope we are going to approach a manager from another club then as just going through all the available managers with PL experience that are currently unemployed it's a very thin list and to be honest not a great list. I, like you, just want the right man for the job and the likes of Southgate, McLaren and Curbs scare the life out of me, hopefully Randy has in mind somebody I've not thought about. I hope Randy has a very successful week in appointing somebody and us fans not be too disappointed in that appointment.

Nick

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for the responses General.

May I ask if we can get some continuity about the Premier League experience attribute in the search for our new manager. Whilst you have stated that it helps but is by no means a requisite, this is contrary to what has been said by Paul Faulker in the latest club statement regarding it as crucial.

As some have stated before me, the greatest managers of the last 25 years have been brought in from outside our league having success in other leagues around Britain and Europe. I'm not saying that this should be consistent with our aspirations, but I would think it perhaps a little restrictive to not span abit further than those who have already managed successfully or unsucessfully in the Premier League, because let's be honest the list is very thin.

If you look through our beloved club's history you will see we have always gone with British managers of a certain ilk, some more renowned than others. Maybe it is finally time to break the mould and to bring in someone of different origin who can give us some more reach and pull in the transfer market.

So my other question goes; are candidates considered having expressed a public interest in managing the club such as Ronald Koeman?

General,

I have a question about the statement made from the club. The statement says that we will we what not be making any additions to the club without a new manager so realistically that won't be this summer. Can you please confirm that this will also be the case for the sale of players as well as I assume that the new manager will be assessing this once they are appointed?

General - You stated Premier League experience - is that purely Premier League managerial experience, or does it stretch to someone like Klinsmann who played in the Premier League?

Also General, what I meant by a manager of a certain "ilk", was that the clubs struggles to attract big names anyway due to our location and the relative size of our club.

What I mean is I don't want a Southgate or a Dowie, as they have PL experience, yet they were rubbish in the league. Surely a manager of the calibre of Jol is perfect? He was very good at Spurs, was stopped by the mysterious case of food poisoning on the last day from getting 4th on a fairly tight budget.

General Krulak here:

1. I am not going to get into the "who is the right Manager" debate...because who I feel might be "right" may not agree with what you feel is "right." PL experience is, in my opinion, important but many others don't. My rationale is pretty simple...the PL game has changed a wee bit since Sir Alec joined...and knowing that game does, in my humble opinion, make a difference. Is it the ONLY thing...absolutely NOT!!! If you saw the list of those interviewed and to be interviewed, you would realize that we are looking at Managers of "ilk"...my point is that, UNLIKE some of you, that is NOT the big criteria in MY opinion. It is "A" criteria but not the overriding one. Secondly, there are those who seem to think that we can waltz into any Club and get a Manager of "ilk" to leave their Club and come to ours. Did it ever occur to you that I, speaing as a Fan and former Marine who values loyalty, may not want a Manager who would up and desert his Club for additional money? I may well think that such a Manager might not be "right" for our Club. Again, I am NOT saying that is a criteria, I am just saying AS A FAN, NOT A BOARD MEMBER, I am not sure that getting someone who has bailed from their Club is something I would feel comfortable about. It is for this reason that discussing the Manager and the criteria is NOT something I am going to do. There is NO value in such a debate...for the Fans or for me. Randy has said he will announce the name...and I will just wait for that to happen.

General - You stated Premier League experience - is that purely Premier League managerial experience, or does it stretch to someone like Klinsmann who played in the Premier League?

As Klinsmann is my preferred choice of manager, I would be interested to hear the General's comments on this.

Hi General

It was good that the CEO made a statement yesterday, I only hope that RL makes the manager announcement himself and sits in on the press conference.

I realise that RL does not like to put himself in front of the press and/or the camera but I believe if once in a while he did it, this would be appreciated by us humble fans.

General, do you personally have any involvement or say in the managerial selection process?

How do you go about interviewing a football manager, is it similar to interview processes in the real world or something less formal where you hear different managers vision for the club - will you be quizzing candidates on where they see themselves in five years time?

Sir

Thank you so much for your straight talking - it is refreshing in a world that is increasingly dominated by PR, spin, focus groups, pc, saying what we want to hear etc.

Under the stewardship of Randy Lerner - and with the support of his Directors and advisors - Aston Villa continues to show what a great club it is. We will be judged by the way we handle the current 'blip' (crisis is such an overused word) and I have no doubt that the reputation of the club will be enhanced.

Please pass on my thanks to all concerned

UTV

Hi General,

Do you have any update on the North Stand Lower issues that i raised previously? I noticed yesterday that nothing had changed.

It is with regret that I have to say that I, and the 3 family members that I attend the games with, will no longer be purchasing beer until things change in the North Stand Lower. Sorry General but we just find it extortionate to pay £3.10 for what appears to be half a pint of cider, or £2.80 for a poor quality lager that is also less than a pint. I guess we won't get decent service in that end of the ground until it has been re-developed and I personally cannot wait for that to happen.

Best of luck with the manager search.

UTV

umm questions only. do you like balti pies? nights out on broard street? cider or red wine? blondes or red heads (we call em gingers). villa beatin manuer or the scum?... from a life long villa fan (55 year old really).

god bless you n yours this is the best managed i have seen our club. BUT I hope the fans i stood with in the holte who sang ian wright wright wright as he clattered in his 2nd against us regain their sence of humour.. its about lovin your club.. acepting our limits.. but going for it

General Krulak here:

.........Did it ever occur to you that I, speaing as a Fan and former Marine who values loyalty, may not want a Manager who would up and desert his Club for additional money? I may well think that such a Manager might not be "right" for our Club. Again, I am NOT saying that is a criteria, I am just saying AS A FAN, NOT A BOARD MEMBER, I am not sure that getting someone who has bailed from their Club is something I would feel comfortable about. It is for this reason that discussing the Manager and the criteria is NOT something I am going to do. There is NO value in such a debate...for the Fans or for me. Randy has said he will announce the name...and I will just wait for that to happen.

General

If your rationale concerning not signing "someone who has bailed from their club" was applied to players the mercenary business that is Premiership Football would grind to a halt. I agree with your sentiments but feel in a "dog eat dog" world we have to sign the best manager possible and that results in one of our competitors losing out - all the better!