General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

General, it is brilliant that you keep responding on the forums, and a lot of people on here respect you for responding to everyone. As you say, you are not just sitting around having a beer, and that you and the club are looking for the right man for the job, and this can only be a good thing for everyone. But I am sure that you can appreciate that the fans are just as frustrated by the whole goings on starting with the departure of MON, to the loss in Europe, as the board are. Obviously, we want the new manager in as quick as we can, especially as the transfer window closes on Tuesday, but again, none of us know what it is like finding the right manager with the passion for the club, and persuading him to manage the club.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with villabromsgrove, particularly about polarised opinion.

it is a fact that those who are least happy about something, shout the loudest.

people who are happy with things tend not to say anything and just accept it as expected.

General, you do realise that there isnt a RIGHT manager?

whoever is appointed will be criticised by some on here. In the same way some idolised (and still do) martin o'neill and others hated everything about him.

some of us, (like villabromsgrove and myself, I guess, probably the older fans), have seen many managers come and go and realise thats the nature of football. someone will come in and do a job.

only time will tell if that job is good enough, if they get the right players, if they can motivate different sorts of people, if they have luck on ther side.

some seem to think time is the one thing we dont have, but all must agree that any manager must be given time.

good luck with the search. I'm sure you will do your best and that is all we can ask.

semper fidelis? more like semper bitchelis on here sometimes

General

Will you be on the interview panel? Maybe you could see how a new would be manager would have taken the guns at Brecourt Manor to see his tactical approach. Be tactful if the interviewee is German though. :D

Hi General,

Out of curiosity, why does the manager have to have experience in the PL? Some of the best managers didn't have any PL manaerial experience until they took over at their respective clubs. Ferguson, Benitez, Wenger, Mourinho, Moyes, and the list goes on.....

I just don't understand why it has to be someone that has done things in our league in the past.

Morning General,

I know your coming over to the UK today so Im not sure when you will be next on so lets hope by the time you read this the lads have got 3 points against Everton.

My question or even idea isnt manager related or transfer related as I feel although we are all frustrated you can only do what you can so best of luck with that. Mine is more about how empty Villa Park is for Europa League games and League Cup games.

Im sure your well aware about the current economy but many season ticket holders have just splashed out £400+ for a season ticket and although its fantastic value for money compared to most surely the clubs priority has to be filling the ground on a match day so may i suggest you offer season ticket holders some kind of special offer. We have around 27k season ticket holders I believe and if you could get just half of them to take up there seats for cup games you could be on to a decent winner here.

Maybe offer season ticket holders of so many years free entry? or even entry for as little as £5. I know you drop the prices but £15 is still to expensive for some in the current climate.

Anyway - just a suggestion.

Hope all is well.

General Krulak here:

1. Obviously I am pulling for a victory today. It sure would be a welcome event!

2. I believe that Randy and the Club will be putting out a statement either today or tomorrow re. the efforts ongoing to find a Manager. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying he will announce a Manager. He does recognize, obviously, the concern of the Fans and will want the Fans to know essentially what he has done and when. As I indicated, he started taking action as soon as MON turned in his resignation and left 5 days before the beginning of the season. Randy has not stopped working the issue since that date. He has refrained from putting out a statement for many reasons...the two key ones are simply 1) that it is not good business to articulate your plans in the media...it causes too many problems and 2) it is not good for the Club to wake up every morning and read another article about another Manager that the owner is interviewing. At the same time, he wants you to know that he hasn't been sitting on his bum...that this is his #1 priority by a LONG shot!!! The simple fact that he has basically been in the UK for the entire time MUST show something...the Browns are into their 3rd pre-season game and Randy is in the UK.

3. Experience in the PL...my sense is that experience in the PL is a plus...not a minus. Obviously it is not the overriding criteria but it would be taken into account.

cheers for the update General!!!

I'll look forward to the statement from Randy.

Any truth in the reported £16m bid for Young - that's way too laughable to be even considered (not that that needs pointing out to you!!!)

General, please don't sell Ashley Young. The biggest signing we can make right now is getting Ashley Young on a long term contract. Im sure you realise that this is not like the NFL where players in their contract year have obligations to the CBA, we need to make a statement and keep Harry Saggyface's dirty little mits off him. Please make this a priority for the club.

Furthermore I appreciate we want a manager with Premier League experience but it's not always the best way. The Villa fans are gagging for a manager of sufficient ilk and that should not be restricted by background but prestige. Please don't sell it short. Dare I ask who is on the shortlist ;)

General,

Thanks for the update and I would like you to pass on my thanks to K Mac for taking over in such difficult circumstances and that we can all look forward to appointing a new manager in the near future which which will show our ambition and get us excited again. Also can you thank the players for showing some real guts out there today.

Thanks for the update.

A very good win today against a team we always struggle against. Very proud of the lads! Whatever happens as someone as mentioned we are thankful for the job Kevin McDonald has done in very difficult circumstances. In a so called crisis thanks to the media we've won 2 out of 3 and everyone inside the club deserves credit for that even if we went out of Europe again.

Here's hoping you and the board make the right moves in the next two weeks and I'm sure many of us have faith. The most important thing though is that we get the key players we have on new contracts as soon as possible.

General Krulak here:

1. A simple point: A Manager of a certain "ilk" may fire up some fans...the name may be sexy and the reputation and name recognition high...BUT, that does NOT necessarily mean he is the "right" person for the Club. I am not saying that it wouldn't be...I just get worried when fans say they will be gagging if it isn't someone of a certain ilk. What is your ilk may not be the Club's...and visa versa.

2. A hard fought win today. Backs to the wall and the lads did what needed to be done. In many ways, those games show me more than the ones where we win handily. I love to see our players dig in and play their guts out!!!

Thanks General,

You're not in England already?.....I thought you said you were coming over today.

I wish the media and Harry Redknapp would stop with the comments about Ashley Young....It makes some of us fans uneasy.....I know you have said he isn't going anywhere, but I wish Redknapp would piss off asking.

The team were fantastic today, defensively and the odd spells attacking also....Good work all round from all of them...Even Downing who looked a little out of it at times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Experience in the PL...my sense is that experience in the PL is a plus...not a minus. Obviously it is not the overriding criteria but it would be taken into

General you said the above comment, the statement released said that the key criteria is they must have managed in the PL.

Gen

I will tell you why we need a manager with a certain ilk - and to be honest, it worries me that you dont seem to know.

I think it is pretty obvious that the better players you have, the better your chances of success. Not always, but in the main, you have good players, playing well, they will do well.

Now, as we all would probably admit - Birmingham is not the sexiest of places. You may here the likes of Anelka and Henry saying "I want to live in London" - but I can't remember too many players saying "I want to live in Smethwick".

We are also a "un-sexy club". We haven't got the worldwide name of Man U or Liverpool, so this doesn't attract players.

Therefore, we either go down two routes.

1. Appoint what basically is a nobody (a Curbishley etc) and accept that we will sign Championship players and hope it works (and it can do, I'm not saying it can't - it's just a) bloody rare, B) usually short lived, ie: Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton etc)

or

B) Appoint a manager with "a certain ilk" who is known Europe wide, and has a name that can attract players. I wouldn't mind betting that if Jose Mourinho took over at Aldershot - he could attract a few names.

Well, perfect example is Sol Campbell going to Notts County isn't it !.

That is why I feel we need a certain ilk !

General Krulak here:

1. A simple point: A Manager of a certain "ilk" may fire up some fans...the name may be sexy and the reputation and name recognition high...BUT, that does NOT necessarily mean he is the "right" person for the Club. I am not saying that it wouldn't be...I just get worried when fans say they will be gagging if it isn't someone of a certain ilk. What is your ilk may not be the Club's...and visa versa.

General, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with something you guys might be doing for our club.

A manager without Premier League experience can still bring all the credentials and ability to win in the Premier League and they can still be the "right" person for the job. I'm not saying the club will play safe, I just hope they don't and I don't think I'd be the only one. Under Randy's tutelage we have got ourselves into the establishment of seasonal European contenders and surely we need to employ a manager who can keep us there. Disagree with me if you will, but MON was of a certain ilk and that is what we, as fans, hope you will be aiming for as a minimum.

General,

I trust the board to make the right appointment, and also would like to say that I am glad that we have taken the time to make the right appointment. We should not rush this decision, it is the most important decision for many, many years and far outweighs the need to sign players by Tuesday at 6pm.

However, by stating that the manager must have premier league experience we narrow our field dramatically. I agree with earlier comments about Messrs Ferguson, Wenger et al who have all been a huge success in the premier league without any previous experience. I just hope the board will not rule out a well qualified candidate from the continent in favour of a failed former premier league manager.

Your thoughts are welcomed,

Regards,

Nik

General, 3 things you need to sort ASAP

Who have we upset in the Holte End......

#1 - We've had our telly confiscated.

#2 - Some ones put a hole in the PA system as we can't here a bloody thing that comes out of it.

#3 - Me curry & chips have gone up 40p.

On a serious note thanks for the updates and I've every faith you & Randy will do the right thing by us in terms as "THE RIGHT MAN"

All the best and have a great stay in the UK.